Tank birthday, 47+ years

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YYYYYYyyyaaaaaaAaaaAAaa I was up all night and I just now, at 8:30 am I got her the first shot appointment and it's only about 20 minutes away from our house. I can't believe I got it.

The rollout of this vaccine must have been done by chip monks. Very stupid chip monks.
You go to a site and after jumping through all sorts of hoops, you put in a Zip code and 99% of the time it says "There are no appointments at this time"

But many times, it probably accidentally comes up "18 appoints available in the area you selected"
Then you click on that, pick the day (that they give you) then pick the time (that they give you)

Then you get all excited and it reads NO APPOINTMENTS AT THAT LOCATION.

They you start all over with a different pharmacy. You get the same run around there and you try a state run site.

"State and Run" shouldn't even be a thing because if the state "runs" it, it doesn't run.
Twice they had 2,000 people go to Jones beach in the middle of winter which is like a 50 mile long beach with the waves crashing near your car. Those people got there....... and ......they cancelled it. No explanation, just go home, nothing to see here.

State run sites were probably developed by people who believe in quarantining with medication :rolleyes: .
l
YYYYYYyyyaaaaaaAaaaAAaa I was up all night and I just now, at 8:30 am I got her the first shot appointment and it's only about 20 minutes away from our house. I can't believe I got it.

The rollout of this vaccine must have been done by chip monks. Very stupid chip monks.
You go to a site and after jumping through all sorts of hoops, you put in a Zip code and 99% of the time it says "There are no appointments at this time"

But many times, it probably accidentally comes up "18 appoints available in the area you selected"
Then you click on that, pick the day (that they give you) then pick the time (that they give you)

Then you get all excited and it reads NO APPOINTMENTS AT THAT LOCATION.

They you start all over with a different pharmacy. You get the same run around there and you try a state run site.

"State and Run" shouldn't even be a thing because if the state "runs" it, it doesn't run.
Twice they had 2,000 people go to Jones beach in the middle of winter which is like a 50 mile long beach with the waves crashing near your car. Those people got there....... and ......they cancelled it. No explanation, just go home, nothing to see here.

State run sites were probably developed by people who believe in quarantining with medication :rolleyes: .
Glad you got in, I'm not old enough yet but I fit into the higher risk categories. Hope I can get in soon. Your 100% right but I think chip monkeys would have done a better job with the roll out. Good luck Paul

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember all of those things like they were yesterday and except for the Make up mirror, I used all of them :cool:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a little long nose butterfly and a smallish filefish from two different LFSs
The filefish immediately went in the back so i can't get a picture of him. I was a little concerned if my Copperband would get along with the slightly smaller long nose but so far they seem like best friends.

Both fish were cheap. Of course before I put them in my tank, I fresh water dipped them in a bucket with tree stump remover, Prizapro, Peroxide and hydrogen sulfide. I kept them in there for 74 days then gently rubbed them with "Brillo" to make sure they didn't have any flukes or flounders, then I added a bit of Milk of Magnesia in case they were constipated or had intestinal worms or if their intestinal worms were constipated...........NOT

Longnose and Copperband.jpg
thumbnail.jpg

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up a little long nose butterfly and a smallish filefish from two different LFSs
The filefish immediately went in the back so i can't get a picture of him. I was a little concerned if my Copperband would get along with the slightly smaller long nose but so far they seem like best friends.

Both fish were cheap. Of course before I put them in my tank, I fresh water dipped them in a bucket with tree stump remover, Prizapro, Peroxide and hydrogen sulfide. I kept them in there for 74 days then gently rubbed them with "Brillo" to make sure they didn't have any flukes or flounders, then I added a bit of Milk of Magnesia in case they were constipated or had intestinal worms or if their intestinal worms were constipated...........NOT

Longnose and Copperband.jpg
thumbnail.jpg
long nose is a most spectacular addition to any tank sized as yours. I also want one. But my tank is too small, only 106 gal.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mrs Runcis. :cool:
106 gallons is the perfect size for a long nose. My last tank was a 100 gallon and for much of it's life it had a long nose butterfly and a copperband. :)

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mrs Runcis. :cool:
106 gallons is the perfect size for a long nose. My last tank was a 100 gallon and for much of it's life it had a long nose butterfly and a copperband. :)
:p.

What age had it reached and how big it was, I mean, this long nose butterfly?

If they reach 22 cm in length, and my tank is 130 cm length, so definitely too short for such an fish?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen them or copperbands in a home tank get much more than about 5" even after 10 years. In the sea they get almost twice that size. I know many people don't think healthy fish are stunted in a tank but the thing I like to call those people is "Wrong".

Some fish will keep growing like flounders or most food fish and I had a remora once that I could hear growing. I Think it grew like an inch a day and I gave it to the New York aquarium.

My fireclown who is still spawning is about 30 years old and she is about 3". Clownfish in the sea get like 7".
How many times have you seen a 5 year old goldfish in a bowl and it is about 2". In a lake they can get a foot long or longer. Different fish do different things.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found my new filefish in the back of my tank, he is picking on all the sponges back there but it is dark and I can't get a picture of him. If he comes to the front I will see if I can get him to pose. The long nose ate right away. When he was in the bag in front of my tank he relaxed. He took one look at my tank and started smiling.

I immediately fed him and he ate clams, mysis and live worms.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post:

We react to stress much differently than fish do. As an example we can be in prison, hang gliding, dying of parrot fever, or being held in a jungle hut by Amazons or gorilla's and we will still be able to reproduce. It will have no impact on our reproductive functions. (unless they are very ugly gorilla's)

But fish are built differently. Our fish are always under some sort of stress because we keep them confined in most of the time, fake seawater, place them with creatures they have never seen, feed them things they are not used to, circulate water around them in the same exact way every day, light them with totally different lighting spectrums, and in most cases, totally ignore moonlight which controls many fish functions, keep them in very shallow water as all fish come from much deeper water than our tanks, and yes, they know that, which is why we never see tangs, angels or manta rays in 16" of water.

We never take into account that they can see us through the glass but they can't see the glass itself which I am sure drives them crazy due to their lateral lines that prevent them from crashing into things. (I also believe this aspect is what causes HLLE but that is only my opinion) There are three functions of fish that controls their life. Growth, reproduction and immunity. These things all require certain food "and" a certain level of stress or lack of it. (CERTAIN FOOD IS NOT NECESSARILLY SOMETHING THEY WILL EAT)

The first thing that goes is reproduction which is why very few fish in captivity spawn as in the sea, fish are "always" pregnant. The next thing that goes is immunity which is the reason for all the disease threads. Fish in the sea probably never get sick except for the occasional headache. Last it is growth. In a tank almost all fish are stunted. I realize this is a controversial subject but I have kept many tangs and copperband butterflies for many years and virtually none of them ever reached their normal size in the sea which is about 9" for both those fish. My 24 year old fireclown is about 4" long and I am sure in the sea they are double that size. That fish is constantly spawning so I know he is very healthy.

All of my paired fish are spawning so, for some reason, either on purpose or accidently, they are healthy and have a low enough level of stress that allows them to be in that condition. None of them were ever sick and none of them were ever quarantined which is another indication of health and a working immune system.
These are just my opinions as I am not the God of fish.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Covid shot for my wife yesterday at Walgreens but OMG I never seen people work so slow in my life. Her appointment was for 1:00. We got there a little early at 12:30 because we don't exactly live across the street.
There was an older guy there giving someone a shot and were were next. The guy giving the shot gets up and leaves. He didn't say anything to us and there was no one else there.

We are waiting like 20 minutes and I see someone working there so I asked her whats up?

She told me "He went to lunch". He didn't see me standing 3' from him for half an hour and he couldn't tell us he was going to lunch. I thought maybe he went outside to sell his car or start a flash mob while singing the theme song from Dr. Zhivago.

Then he came back and it was about 1:15 so he is 15 minutes late. Maybe he had a little gas and wanted to digest.
I watched him and I never saw anyone move so slow. He finally started to fill the needle at 2:00.
At 2:15 he finished filling the needle. Maybe you have to fill it one drop at a time.

Then he started carrying the needle towards us, closer,,,,closer,,,,one step at a time,,,Then he turned around and went back behind the counter.
Maybe he got an offer on his car.....

At 2:30 he slowly, and I mean slowly started to walk back. This time I walked next to him in case he fell.

He sat down and asked my wife some questions like her birthday which was on the form in his hand that I filled out last week.

He lifted the needle and aimed it at my wife's arm and,,,and,,,My wife asks him a question. I said NNNNNnnnnnnoooooooo. Forget that. Just give her the shot..........

He wants to answer the question.
3:15 we were on our way home so it only took about 3 hours for a 15 second shot. You younger people will be in the 75 year old range when they get around to giving you the shot.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frogspawn grew a lot this year and it is to close to the front glass so I can't clean behind it. I am going to push back the entire center of the reef to give it more room. I am not loving this idea. :oops:

Reef.JPG

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the whole look of your tank ever so much!

Do you still have the Janss pipefish?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the whole look of your tank ever so much!

Do you still have the Janss pipefish?
Actually I do. I was looking at an old video yesterday from 6 years ago and he was in it so he is at least 6 years old. I also have a female bluestripe pipefish older then that. The Janss killed my male bluestrripe. I think that is a little old for both those pipefish and they were both adults when I got them.

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazingly beautiful fish! in colour and form and snout.
I truly envy you. I've tried three times to keep it in my aquarium, without success. I've found out that you in America already have tank-bred Janss pipefish, Alyssa's Seahorse Savvy sells them, but in Europe there is still no such thing...pity!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Mrs Runcis. :cool: What country do you live in?
I didn't even know that we had captive bred Janss pipefish here. Mine was fairly cheap and I would get more but the males don't get along.
My Janss only eats frozen mysis, nothing else.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Covid shot for my wife yesterday at Walgreens but OMG I never seen people work so slow in my life. Her appointment was for 1:00. We got there a little early at 12:30 because we don't exactly live across the street.
There was an older guy there giving someone a shot and were were next. The guy giving the shot gets up and leaves. He didn't say anything to us and there was no one else there.

We are waiting like 20 minutes and I see someone working there so I asked her whats up?

She told me "He went to lunch". He didn't see me standing 3' from him for half an hour and he couldn't tell us he was going to lunch. I thought maybe he went outside to sell his car or start a flash mob while singing the theme song from Dr. Zhivago.

Then he came back and it was about 1:15 so he is 15 minutes late. Maybe he had a little gas and wanted to digest.
I watched him and I never saw anyone move so slow. He finally started to fill the needle at 2:00.
At 2:15 he finished filling the needle. Maybe you have to fill it one drop at a time.

Then he started carrying the needle towards us, closer,,,,closer,,,,one step at a time,,,Then he turned around and went back behind the counter.
Maybe he got an offer on his car.....

At 2:30 he slowly, and I mean slowly started to walk back. This time I walked next to him in case he fell.

He sat down and asked my wife some questions like her birthday which was on the form in his hand that I filled out last week.

He lifted the needle and aimed it at my wife's arm and,,,and,,,My wife asks him a question. I said NNNNNnnnnnnoooooooo. Forget that. Just give her the shot..........

He wants to answer the question.
3:15 we were on our way home so it only took about 3 hours for a 15 second shot. You younger people will be in the 75 year old range when they get around to giving you the shot.
I had my covid injectionon Wednesday, all very professional and speedy in and out in 30 minutes and that includes waiting 15 minutes after the injection to ensure you don't drop dead or take a hizzy fit. The staff and nurses all working very hard.
My daughter is working up to 12 hour shifts giving covid injections her second injection for her to give was to a woman who hated needles. After nearly an hour trying to give her her injection they gave up and had to send the woman home without her injection.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPOTS. Oh NNNooooooo,,,, Spots. It's horrible.

No not on my fish, don't be silly my fish are immune. I took my new Jeep to breakfast with my main squeeze and from all the snow there is ice all over my windows and the car is just full of spots. Most of them are salt and I can't just wipe it off because it will scratch and it is to cold to use the hose. :p

The two fish I added last week are fine. The long nose butterfly is best friends with my copperband but the filefish seems to be a loner. He loves picking on the mulm at the sides and back of the tank. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back