OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think new Steam Punk thing is coming out pretty cool. It needs a lot more work and being I am a lousy computer programmer getting the sand timer to invert every minute was the hardest part. But it works perfectly.

Of course the thing goes into a glass dome.

Steam Punk dome.jpg

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paul. I found this thread yesterday and have since been poring over a good chunk of it and I'm in awe of how healthy and long-lived your fish are o_O. I'm from NJ and head down the shore every summer, and am always astounded by the critters I see there. I'm really tempted to try and build up the bacteria and viruses in my system and go for a natural tank like you have done for so many years. However my fish have been through quarantine. Is there a good way to slowly introduce them to the good bacteria without overloading their weakened immune systems? Or is it best to keep them as they are and hope for the best?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Andielehman. I think if I was you I would try to start feeding some live white worms or at least some clams. In NJ you can easily get live chowder clams and freeze them yourself. Slice off paper thin slices to feed your fish.

When you are down by the shore maybe you can pick up some amphipods but you will need to go to a rocky bay for that and not an ocean beach. I wouldn't put in any sick fish or anything like that until you feed them correctly with living bacteria for a few months.
Good luck

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my boat out a couple of days ago for the maiden "after Covid" voyage and it ran OK but not great. It didn't seem to have the power it used to have so I went to the marina today to check it out.

It's got two engines and the first wire I pulled off the port distributor I found one problem. That cylinder wasn't firing or it was firing sporadically. The contact for that cylinder was rusty unlike the others which were shiny. I think that wire is also bad.

Distributor.jpeg

I also need to change the plugs as it has been years so it is way over do. The problem is, and I am embarrassed to say that I am pretty sure I am going to have the marina do it.

I pride myself on never having anyone ever touch my house, cars or boat but at 72 years old, I don't think I can contort my body around that bilge to get at those plugs. And now that my right wrist is in pretty severe pain, I just can't do it.

I have to resign myself to being a Sissy Girly, Man and let someone else put in simple spark plugs in my boat. This is so embarrassing and what a snow flake would do :confused:

I screwed up my hand by doing another embarrassing thing. About two months ago I was cooking and I needed to separate the cloves of garlic from the big bulb so I put it on the counter top and smashed it with my wrist which was a big mistake. I think I smashed something in there, again, like a Sissy and need to go for some surgery to fix whatever I smashed.

Most of you will realize if you live long enough that our parts are not as strong as they were in our 20s and 30s or even 50s. You feel strong enough and can lift heavy things, but you break, tear, smash or crush something. Maybe if you take daily doses of calcium and alk and soak your joints in copper you will be fine.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my boat out a couple of days ago for the maiden "after Covid" voyage and it ran OK but not great. It didn't seem to have the power it used to have so I went to the marina today to check it out.

It's got two engines and the first wire I pulled off the port distributor I found one problem. That cylinder wasn't firing or it was firing sporadically. The contact for that cylinder was rusty unlike the others which were shiny. I think that wire is also bad.

Distributor.jpeg

I also need to change the plugs as it has been years so it is way over do. The problem is, and I am embarrassed to say that I am pretty sure I am going to have the marina do it.

I pride myself on never having anyone ever touch my house, cars or boat but at 72 years old, I don't think I can contort my body around that bilge to get at those plugs. And now that my right wrist is in pretty severe pain, I just can't do it.

I have to resign myself to being a Sissy Girly, Man and let someone else put in simple spark plugs in my boat. This is so embarrassing and what a snow flake would do :confused:

I screwed up my hand by doing another embarrassing thing. About two months ago I was cooking and I needed to separate the cloves of garlic from the big bulb so I put it on the counter top and smashed it with my wrist which was a big mistake. I think I smashed something in there, again, like a Sissy and need to go for some surgery to fix whatever I smashed.

Most of you will realize if you live long enough that our parts are not as strong as they were in our 20s and 30s or even 50s. You feel strong enough and can lift heavy things, but you break, tear, smash or crush something. Maybe if you take daily doses of calcium and alk and soak your joints in copper you will be fine.
I feel your pain Paul. Couple months ago I threw my back out while scooping ice cream.... Took me over a week before I could walk standing straight up.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Distributor.jpeg

Feeling your pain as well. Spent my life working big livestock and at 110 pounds, my body is no match to them, so pushing 60 I'm feeling every stomp and kick. Lol.

Shoot at this point even my puppy gets the best of me. :/

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Distributor.jpeg

Feeling your pain as well. Spent my life working big livestock and at 110 pounds, my body is no match to them, so pushing 60 I'm feeling every stomp and kick. Lol.

Shoot at this point even my puppy gets the best of me. :/

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Andielehman. I think if I was you I would try to start feeding some live white worms or at least some clams. In NJ you can easily get live chowder clams and freeze them yourself. Slice off paper thin slices to feed your fish.

When you are down by the shore maybe you can pick up some amphipods but you will need to go to a rocky bay for that and not an ocean beach. I wouldn't put in any sick fish or anything like that until you feed them correctly with living bacteria for a few months.
Good luck
thanks for the input, i really appreciate it. could mussels or shrimp work as well? we eat them more often than clams (but we still do get clams sometimes). i've also got boatloads of earthworms out in the yard until i can find white worms but i have no clue if they would work. we use them for fishing sometimes and just flip over rocks and scoop them out of the soil.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Distributor.jpeg

You know how to do the work.

You have done the work many times before.

You have nothing to prove to anyone, not even yourself.

Your pain and injuries are your laurels to rest on Paul.

Give yourself a break, you deserve it!

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: I haven't been able to find fresh oysters, mussels or clams the last couple times to the store and I was almost out of food. I bought this - what are your thoughts? Do you think this would still have live bacteria in it? They are raw in the cold section.

1622233784038.png

1622233822624.png

Last edited:

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what about live , still in the shell locally harvested east coast oysters i can get myself here in DE ?
dig my own clams and freeze 'em whole in the shell..

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live is of course the best, and I eat them like that. Sometimes off the back of my boat like M&Ms

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I went to visit my Buddy who lies in Calverton National cemetery.

The place is the largest military cemetery and every grave has an American Flag on it. I spent a lot of time there re planting flags that fell in the storm yesterday

Calverton.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The place is the largest military cemetery and every grave has an American Flag on it. I spent a lot of time there re planting flags that fell in the storm yesterday

Calverton.jpeg

Thank you for your service Paul. Hope the wrist is feeling better.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calverton.jpeg

Thank you for your service Paul.
Respect for the soldiers who gave their all.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back