Tank birthday, 47+ years

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for mentioning razor clams. Been a good year of digging so far. Lots of clams and larger limits.:)

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul,
Ahhh, you ETS'd right from Nam to home. I had six months more to go, and they sent me to Ft. Hood, Tx.
As I mentioned, i came home during the TET offensive. Was scheduled to leave Feb 3, but the airport was taking rockets and mortars, so I was delayed 3 days. So, when I got home on Feb 6, i figured i had my 30 day leave and report to Ft Hood on Mar 6. No problem, right. Well, when I finally ETS'd on Aug 9, I got my DD-214 shortly after, and there it was on my 214. "Three days excess leave"! Give me a break. Some desk jockey put that on my 214. I didnt care at the time, hey!! I was OUT!!
I find it funny now.
Take care, fred

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fred ,my wife (who was my girlfriend then) and my Sister N Law filled out our discharge papers because they didn't want to wake up the clerks that do that stuff.

We were all on the same plane from Nam and didn't have a sense of humor so we started breaking the place apart until they woke some of them.

I had nothing on my DD -214 then, no medals or anything until about 20 years ago when I wrote to the Veterans administration and showed them my orders.

They sent me an updated copy with the medals and places I was at which basically was just Nam.

I was in combat up until the day I came home.
My friend a Warrant officer had a LOH helicopter that we used to fly all over the place in while drinking Wild Turkey whisky.

He flew me a few hundred miles south on my way to the airport. He flew under bridges and 3' over dirt roads filled with Vietnamese on logging trucks. I wasn't scared the whole year until that flight.

I was a Sargent and didn't really have anyone in charge of me because I was the Commo Chief attached to a field artillery battery so everyone was artillery except me.

The guy in charge of me was in some rear area and I was never there so I never met him and he never came out to the bush.

This was on an LZ but it looks like a condo because I built that wall behind me by filling artillery boxed with dirt.

As you know, That LZ looked like all LZs

From the air

Here is the General giving me a Bronze Star after the battle.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night before last I watched as 2 of my 3 fireball angels spawned. They did so as expected with the tank.lights out and it was only visible via the uplighter in the corner of my living room.
Of course it was only a matter of time before they spawned almost my fish do when in.oairs trios or other multiple numbers.

Fredinva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Night before last I watched as 2 of my 3 fireball angels spawned. They did so as expected with the tank.lights out and it was only visible via the uplighter in the corner of my living room.
Of course it was only a matter of time before they spawned almost my fish do when in.oairs trios or other multiple numbers.
The trick now is to get the fry reared! Best of luck.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick now is to get the fry reared! Best of luck.
No chance of me attempting to raise them . Athough back in the day one evening I collected the eggs and rushed them to a mate who was doing a degree at Uni and he raised a couple well before anybody had successfully done so. I met and spoke with Martin Moe not long after who was attempting similat with flame Angel's. Martin could only get them to so many weeks this was back in the 90s. My mate initially raised the fry on copepod lava.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the way to do it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started decorating the inside today. I finished the outside. :)

thumbnail.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done. :D
IMG_4967.JPG

That entire wall with the fireplace, hearth, make believe copper chimney etc. is on wheels.

I built the entire thing like that so I could move it to access everything behind it or paint the wall.

The steel was heavier than I wanted and was very hard to cut. Then I ground it with a circular grinder to get those swirls in it. The copper "stove pipe" I made from a copper gutter which I had to round off.. I also heated it so it would have a colored patina that looks like it is hot.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice...propane or just simulated fire? .....and btw someone who was debating your methods recently just posted that the fish he's been medicating, quarantining and tank transferring for months still has ick...

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That fireplace is LEDs. I unfortunately can't put a real fire in here. It's a Condo and they frown on that. :cool:

I hope his fish get better soon. :)

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got a non-vented propane...not my choice, came with the house...been a mechanic forever so guess ive become sensitive to co and fumes so i hate it, gives me headaches etc...my wife doesnt notice anything at all...so while looking at other alternatives i have to admit some of the led stuff looks really good

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You almost can't tell and most people who first come into my house go in front of it to get warm thinking it is a real fire. :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you just put 2 copperbands in tank and hope they paired Paul ? Or did you put 3 in then remove one or what ?
I would like pair of them but would need do little bit more research and re-cap on research I already did. I've seen a thread about seeing cbb with lumps on snouts etc. So basically just wanting your experience on trying to pair them or any pair fish for that matter. Ovbiously would be best to buy already paired but my cbb been in tank few months now.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I was waiting to see if anyone noticed. That picture is a merge of a few pictures of my tank together so it is much longer than it really is. I only have one copperband.

It's called picture stitching and my camera can do that.
In my experience, 2 coperbands don't ever get along in my tank but a copperband and butterfly will for some reaon.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B. Thank you for your service. I also just read in your reply to a thread that you have an upcoming birthday. So……….HAPPY BIRTHDAY, on Christmas Day (and Merry Christmas too) wishing you many more and many more years of reefing as well.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I was waiting to see if anyone noticed. That picture is a merge of a few pictures of my tank together so it is much longer than it really is. I only have one copperband.

It's called picture stitching and my camera can do that.
In my experience, 2 coperbands don't ever get along in my tank but a copperband and butterfly will for some reaon.
Ha ha I did think tank looked different,but thought with you cutting that sponge and you saying killed few corals ,I thought this how tank looks now wo tricked me ha ha.
Ok thanks for not recommending pair of cbb.shame as such a beautiful fish ^_^ mine going good so far and finding it easy to feed from reading some from yourself and others tips how to feed so no problem at all there,only problem I had was with him swimming up and down side of tank ,worked out he fighting his reflection so now I don't clean that side panel and he stopped doing it through the day,but when tank lights go out and with TV being on wall right next to tank he starts doing it but now I throw a towel that side of tank to darken it and he stops,but other than that easy enough to look after

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's amazing what we can do with technolodgy these days,I probably know 1% at best as I'm tech dumb lol ,here is a collage from my hitch hiker inside a sps ^_^

Attachments

• 20211205_131607.jpg
    20211205_131607.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Weasel. :)

Merry Christmas to you too. :D

Last edited:

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 60 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 72 36.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.1%
Back