Tank birthday, 47+ years

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving :D We are going out tonight to City Island which is a small Island off the Bronx which is all sea food restaurants and is famous for that. I will have my traditional clams for a pre Thanksgiving feast. :) Then to the Grand Kids in lower Manhattan.

Yesterday I went to a doctor to get some stitches removed from the back of my arm that Dugie Howser said he needed to remove.
He said, Oh No, you have to wait 5 more days to remove these.

I said, Like, why did your office tell me to come in today as I don't live around the corner and I am sure you knew how long stitches had to stay in before you removed them.

This place is in Hampton Bays about 40 minutes from me.
They want me to come back in a week but of course that ain't gonna happen so now I have to remove them myself. The problem is they are on the back of my right arm where I can't see so I am getting my friend to do it. I wonder if my insurance takes his bill? :confused:

PS. I got a different doctor to remove this "freckle" on my eyelid and that will happen in January.
They call it a surgery but if I could take my screaming, I would do it myself as they make a big deal out of the stupidest things. :rolleyes:
Is that new doc gonna sew bopth of your eyes shut?...lol...

When you remove those stitches have some of that special reinforced tape ready. A few years back i had some stitches removed and as soon as the last one came out the wound jumped open. Doc relaxed as **** closes wound with that tape and says that i can take that tape of in a couple of days. I was freaking out but doc was absolutely 100% right.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lowell, same to you. We just got home and put the heat on. :D

KMST I think it will be fine. I will get my friend to remove them tomorrow, he likes to do that stuff especially if it hurts me a little. :)

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lowell, same to you. We just got home and put the heat on. :D

KMST I think it will be fine. I will get my friend to remove them tomorrow, he likes to do that stuff especially if it hurts me a little. :)
I know you will be fine, you're not of the generation wrapped in cotton wool .

Got a question about your tank. In pictures i saw you got your rock pretty much all the way along the back wall, i want to go similar with my new bigger tank. Now did you connect the individual rocks with each other or are they just stacked.
Did you leave a gap all the way along the back pane of glass or are some rocks touching the glass?
Just want to get it right. love your tank and how old it is.

Cheers

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any rock touching the back glass. I wrote this article about building rock and much of mine is built this way so I have 3 or 4 large pieces that I made and everything is stacked on them. I have a lot of spaces through the reef ro make passageways for the fish to get out of sight.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving. I hope everyone ate a bunch of bird.

The day before Thanksgiving we go to a small Island off the Bronx on City Island. It is nothing but really old and good seafood restaurants.

Greta, Our Grand Daughter loves crab so we got her some.

G eating crab.JPG

City Island Menu.JPG

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have any rock touching the back glass. I wrote this article about building rock and much of mine is built this way so I have 3 or 4 large pieces that I made and everything is stacked on them. I have a lot of spaces through the reef ro make passageways for the fish to get out of sight.

Thanks Paul,
read about that diy rock in your book too :)

Enjoy your Thanksgiving

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this on this thread from 2014:

I would like to keep the tank running at least another 7 years until it is fifty. At that time I am not sure what we are going to do as we may downsize our house to a condo. We also may want to take long cruises on our boat so I am not sure if I can keep the tank going after that. I don't have any plans yet, just thinking out loud. I will also be kind of old in 7 more years but so far I have no definate plans to do anything.
I have had a tank of some kind continousely for over 60 years so I think I am well along in the hobby as I put some time into it. I just hope I don't start forgetting the things I learned before I get a chance to write them all down. Some of the old school techniques like treating water with Clorox or feeding fish Plaster of Paris is not well known.

We did actually downsize and move to a condo. We also did take some long cruises on our boat and much larger boats on a river through Europe. I don't use Clorox any longer in my new water because I have a much better source for water now and I forgot that I used to make food from Plaster of Paris mixed with I think Bananas, clams and other things to feed my moorish Idol and some butterflyfish. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I broke my 2 front teeth. One is a temp until an implant sets so he took a cap off the next one and had a temp made of the two teeth. Of course it broke in half leaving a vertical, dagger that is sharp as a razor and it is cutting into my lip. I think it's a law that these things only happen on a Sunday.

I can't glue it back because it is kind of in a few pieces so I will try to grind off the sharp parts so I don't make a hole in my face from the inside. :anguished-face:

I also need to remove about 8 stitches from the back of my arm but my friend who was going to do it today is in the hospital now with his wife.
We went out to breakfast and she fell pretty hard so he won't be back for a while.

If doctors and dentists knew what they were doing, I wouldn't have these issues that I now have to resolve myself. :confused:

I think my dentist went to Evelin Woods quick Dentist school. :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JB weld and duct tape can fix just about anything

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for two days I haven,t seem my favorite fish. This fan tail file. I crawled around the back of the tank with a flashlight and there he was.
Dead. He seemed to have gotten stuck in the tube that goes along the back bottom of my tank to feed one of the undergravel filter plates. It starts about an inch from the glass and gets tighter and tighter. He must have swam through that space and got stuck.

His side fins were against his body so reverse didn't work and his gills were forced shut.

I figured I would try to get him out of there but it was a very tight spot under all sorts of things and behind all the rocks. I got a long acrylic rod with a plastic toothpick thing sticking out of it. (feeding stick) and tried to nudge him out.

His eyes were white as was his skin. Poor fella. After many tries I gently nudged him out where he floated to the bottom and laid there.

A few seconds later,,,,,,He moved. Then he twitched........Then I swear he winked at me.

He got up and swam upright and went in a cave. A few hours later I fed the tank. He came out and ate some mysis.

Today, he is back to his normal self looking just perfect. If I didn't look for him, I am sure he would be sushi now.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great save. You are a good enviromental steward for your tank.
So for two days I haven,t seem my favorite fish. This fan tail file. I crawled around the back of the tank with a flashlight and there he was.
Dead. He seemed to have gotten stuck in the tube that goes along the back bottom of my tank to feed one of the undergravel filter plates. It starts about an inch from the glass and gets tighter and tighter. He must have swam through that space and got stuck.

His side fins were against his body so reverse didn't work and his gills were forced shut.

I figured I would try to get him out of there but it was a very tight spot under all sorts of things and behind all the rocks. I got a long acrylic rod with a plastic toothpick thing sticking out of it. (feeding stick) and tried to nudge him out.

His eyes were white as was his skin. Poor fella. After many tries I gently nudged him out where he floated to the bottom and laid there.

A few seconds later,,,,,,He moved. Then he twitched........Then I swear he winked at me.

He got up and swam upright and went in a cave. A few hours later I fed the tank. He came out and ate some mysis.

Today, he is back to his normal self looking just perfect. If I didn't look for him, I am sure he would be sushi now.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great save there Paul, nobody likes to loose a fish and if we save one from deaths door it's a great. I have saved the odd carpet surfer abd even the odd fish caught in something ir other but sometimes we are too late unfortunately.

Back