OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going up to our gigantic condo pool now to meet the gang, going out to dinner on the boat later today and big party at the pool tomorrow night with a "band". OK a guy singing.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Atoll, nice looking tang. I just would rather have a bunch of rarer, smaller fish that a large fish which is almost the most common fish in the hobby. I know many people love them, but they used to be in almost every tank. Not very interesting.

I lost my LFS connection where I could order anything I wanted and now have to go like everyone else and hope they have something interesting. But they rarely do.

I would much rather something like these. Sunburst anthius.

These fish are not extremely rare, but you don't see them in everybody's tank like yellow tangs.
What is the ‘pin’ fish in the last photo? It’s amazing!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janss Pipefish. Not real common.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday a guy came here from the neighborhood and said to me, His neighbor has a salt tank and one fish, a "Yellow Tail Tang" got to big and wants to give it to me. He said it was about 5".

I assume it is a yellow tang. I am not real fond of tangs and a yellow tang is my least favorite. If it is really 5" I don't want it as that is a little to big a fish for me especially a fish I don't really like, so I didn't take it.
If I see him again I want to see if she wants to get rid of any other, smaller, more interesting fish. :)
I have some marine aquarium books from a few years back that have a "Yellow Tail Tang" (Zebrasoma xanthurum), what is called a "Purple Tang" today. I still understand if you don't want it, even though purple tangs are one of my favorite marine fishes!

That is a lovely Janss pipefish!

Sorry to hear about your wife's condition...

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many people have seen or had a Janss pipefish but everyone has seen a yellow tang and almost everyone has seen a purple tang. If you SCUBA dive you have seen and been surrounded by thousands of tangs, but not Janss Pipefish. ;)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
My Book made another $500.00 which I will donate to Multiple Sclerosis (MS) research in my wife's name.

I will publish the receipt from them when I get it. :)

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
My Book made another $500.00 which I will donate to Multiple Sclerosis (MS) research in my wife's name.

I will publish the receipt from them when I get it. :)

You don't need to publish a receipt Paul. Your care for your wife is the only receipt that counts! We know where your heart is and trust fully where you would send that money!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you GBRsouth. But I am sure there are some people that won't believe I donate all the profits from the book and I like to prove things. :cool:

The book actually made another $600.00 so when it makes another $400.00 I will donate that. I know it isn't much, but I feel I am doing at least something.

My wife started a new and "better" medication a few months ago, but unfortunately she has gotten worse. :(

Some day I will figure out how to make the money go directly to them. :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you GBRsouth. But I am sure there are some people that won't believe I donate all the profits from the book and I like to prove things. :cool:

The book actually made another $600.00 so when it makes another $400.00 I will donate that. I know it isn't much, but I feel I am doing at least something.

My wife started a new and "better" medication a few months ago, but unfortunately she has gotten worse. :(

The unfortunate truth about charity. Even major sports teams get paid by the military for having the veterans out there for various holidays. The whole pink out the park thing ends up with about 3% actually going to the charity. Sad that great things get abused.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Every little bit helps... I know people (some family) that suffer from MS. Which is why I own two copies of your book.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately my wife is not doing to well. This new medication I think made her worse and a side effect is fatigue and depression. Two things that MS already gives you.

My tank is suffering because I do just about everything here now so the tank is on the back burner. It is still going good but I don't always have time to feed it or clean the glass.

I would like to trim some sponge and I need to move things around because a large hammer coral in the front grew to close to the glass making it hard to get the magnet by it.

To move it I need to push back the entire central part of the rock structure which entails removing some rocks, bottles and pumps in the back. I am not sure how the rocks keep moving forward but the watchmans keep making large excavations that I think slowly make everything "fall" forward.

I just need some time to do this but my wife needs me more so the fish will have to wait.

My boat is broken again and I may have to remove one or both of the heads. When I get time I want to go there and do a compression test to tell me exactly if I have to do that and which head to remove.

The starboard engine doesn't have full power and has a miss which is not electric as I removed all the wires one at a time and I can't find it. Next is a compression test. If it comes that I have a cracked block or something like that, which I don't think it is, I will be out of boating. :confused:

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this Paul. I hope a better change in her meds can make a difference.

Hope the problem with the boat turns out to be a simple fix. Your tank will be fine, you've looked after it so well, it has plenty of wiggle room for when you can't spend time on it.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have big boat problems but at least I found out what it is. After my exhaust manifold corroded and allowed a bunch of sea water to get into my engine, it made sludge all over the innards of the engine causing rust.

Some of that rust got into my hydraulic lifters causing one to not work at all which means the valve it controls hardly works causing a miss and a lot of noise.

I removed the valve cover and found the problem. Now I have to remove the intake manifold to replace that lifter and scoop out all the gunk which his a thick mixture of sea water and oil which looks like whipped cream. I flushed the engine and changed the oil and filter 3 times already and it still looks the same so I need to take the engine apart to clean it out and replace that lifter.

I was in that bilge all day and need a couple more days to fix it. I came home to a house full of company.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have big boat problems but at least I found out what it is. After my exhaust manifold corroded and allowed a bunch of sea water to get into my engine, it made sludge all over the innards of the engine causing rust.

Some of that rust got into my hydraulic lifters causing one to not work at all which means the valve it controls hardly works causing a miss and a lot of noise.

I removed the valve cover and found the problem. Now I have to remove the intake manifold to replace that lifter and scoop out all the gunk which his a thick mixture of sea water and oil which looks like whipped cream. I flushed the engine and changed the oil and filter 3 times already and it still looks the same so I need to take the engine apart to clean it out and replace that lifter.

I was in that bilge all day and need a couple more days to fix it. I came home to a house full of company.
Ouch. Even doing that job on cars with a hoist would be aggravating. Sounds like a scotch kind of night to me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back