OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on here 2 years ago so if you read it or don't like it or me read something else. Perhaps Tom Sawyer.

This morning my wife and I were discussing how we lived when we were much younger and how the world has changed. My Dad and her Dad had retail stores. My dad had a fish market and just like her dad and everyone with a food market there was piles of saw dust on the floor. The cutting boards were wood, the knife handles were wood and the fish, and meat came in wooden crates as plastic was not available then. I am talking about the fifties.

I used to play in the back yard of our fish market and shoot flies with a rubber band. We also had live carp and eels in old bath tubs.

At the end of the week my Dad would sweep the floor and throw out all the old, fish scale infested sawdust and put down clean sawdust. Every night he would clean, using soap and bleach the knives and cutting boards.

Today, you are not allowed to use saw dust, wooden handled knives or cutting boards probably because of lawyers. I am sure someone, some where got sick and saw dust was blamed just like coffee can't be hot any more.

But it was the saw dust, cutting boards and wooden knife handles as well as numerous other things that enhanced our immune systems.

I was always an out doors kid and cut myself many times. I would rinse it off in a puddle or pond and go about my business never thinking about it.

I had an uncle that worked at the docks in NYC, one of the roughest places on Earth at that time. He got stabbed in the belly twice when 3 guys tried to mug him. (the muggers didn't fare very well) My Uncle wrapped the wounds in the same rag he cleaned eels with and lived to be about 90 never seeing a doctor or dentist in his life.

When my Mom would get a cold as a kid, her Mother would make her sleep in the horse stables thinking the smell of horse poop would cure her. (my Mom was born in lower Manhattan in 1910) My Mother lived to be 99 years old, she died of old age and was never sick and never even took an aspirin. How many people today could say that?

The point of this is that today how many kids do you know with allergies? How many kids are allergic to peanuts? How many kids are home from school with colds?

How many people in their 60s or 70s can you name with allergies?

Probably very few. As a kid no one in my school had any allergies and we all ate peanuts. I always got an attendance award because I was never out sick. I think in the 40 years I worked as a construction worker in Manhattan I was out maybe 3 or 4 times from being sick and never for having a cold, allergy or anything else except maybe a broken bone or disk problem.

That is IMO because I was brought up in a natural environment surrounded by bacteria and never having access to that silly sterilizing hand spray that people today feel they have to take baths in.

I still almost never get a cold, flu or any silly infection.

The little kids in My Grand Daughter's school almost all have some sort of allergy. My Grand Daughter is allergic to everything and half the kids in her school are allergic to something. Peanuts are outlawed in many restaurants and schools.

Kids today, (Like fish) get all sorts of things and in some homes it is an adventure waking up to see if the kids have some sort of infection.

I feel this is a big problem in our fish tanks and the biggest cause of all the posts on disease threads.

This is also why I go to a muddy bay and collect mud to throw in my tank. If I didn't live by the sea, I would throw regular dirt in there as I did when I started my tank.

I also feel we have to start thinking of bacteria as a good thing instead of a bad thing.

Just my thoughts of course and not meant to be taken as fact. Just an observation that is obvious to anyone who is a lot older than most fish people.

(I am adding to this today in 2021)
Also in those days we all had baby water turtles as pets. They were sold in toy stores because there were no pet stores. The turtles were probably 25 cents and we fed them bugs, worms etc. that we collected outside with our hands that we hardly ever washed.

Those turtles were outlawed because kids were putting them in their mouth and getting some kind of turtle disease. That wasn't the turtles fault, it was the parents fault. They should have fed those kids some spaghetti and meatballs if they were hungry so they wouldn't have to put the poor turtle in their mouth.

I miss those turtles......Especially their taste. :rolleyes:

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my clarkii had some kind of parasite or damage to slime coat when he was trying to host his anenome. after i read your book, i fed him fish oil in his flakes and he got better in a few days. also, can i feed my anenome earthworms i catch from the ground

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on here 2 years ago so if you read it or don't like it or me read something else. Perhaps Tom Sawyer.

This morning my wife and I were discussing how we lived when we were much younger and how the world has changed. My Dad and her Dad had retail stores. My dad had a fish market and just like her dad and everyone with a food market there was piles of saw dust on the floor. The cutting boards were wood, the knife handles were wood and the fish, and meat came in wooden crates as plastic was not available then. I am talking about the fifties.

I used to play in the back yard of our fish market and shoot flies with a rubber band. We also had live carp and eels in old bath tubs.

At the end of the week my Dad would sweep the floor and throw out all the old, fish scale infested sawdust and put down clean sawdust. Every night he would clean, using soap and bleach the knives and cutting boards.

Today, you are not allowed to use saw dust, wooden handled knives or cutting boards probably because of lawyers. I am sure someone, some where got sick and saw dust was blamed just like coffee can't be hot any more.

But it was the saw dust, cutting boards and wooden knife handles as well as numerous other things that enhanced our immune systems.

I was always an out doors kid and cut myself many times. I would rinse it off in a puddle or pond and go about my business never thinking about it.

I had an uncle that worked at the docks in NYC, one of the roughest places on Earth at that time. He got stabbed in the belly twice when 3 guys tried to mug him. (the muggers didn't fare very well) My Uncle wrapped the wounds in the same rag he cleaned eels with and lived to be about 90 never seeing a doctor or dentist in his life.

When my Mom would get a cold as a kid, her Mother would make her sleep in the horse stables thinking the smell of horse poop would cure her. (my Mom was born in lower Manhattan in 1910) My Mother lived to be 99 years old, she died of old age and was never sick and never even took an aspirin. How many people today could say that?

The point of this is that today how many kids do you know with allergies? How many kids are allergic to peanuts? How many kids are home from school with colds?

How many people in their 60s or 70s can you name with allergies?

Probably very few. As a kid no one in my school had any allergies and we all ate peanuts. I always got an attendance award because I was never out sick. I think in the 40 years I worked as a construction worker in Manhattan I was out maybe 3 or 4 times from being sick and never for having a cold, allergy or anything else except maybe a broken bone or disk problem.

That is IMO because I was brought up in a natural environment surrounded by bacteria and never having access to that silly sterilizing hand spray that people today feel they have to take baths in.

I still almost never get a cold, flu or any silly infection.

The little kids in My Grand Daughter's school almost all have some sort of allergy. My Grand Daughter is allergic to everything and half the kids in her school are allergic to something. Peanuts are outlawed in many restaurants and schools.

Kids today, (Like fish) get all sorts of things and in some homes it is an adventure waking up to see if the kids have some sort of infection.

I feel this is a big problem in our fish tanks and the biggest cause of all the posts on disease threads.

This is also why I go to a muddy bay and collect mud to throw in my tank. If I didn't live by the sea, I would throw regular dirt in there as I did when I started my tank.

I also feel we have to start thinking of bacteria as a good thing instead of a bad thing.

Just my thoughts of course and not meant to be taken as fact. Just an observation that is obvious to anyone who is a lot older than most fish people.

(I am adding to this today in 2021)
Also in those days we all had baby water turtles as pets. They were sold in toy stores because there were no pet stores. The turtles were probably 25 cents and we fed them bugs, worms etc. that we collected outside with our hands that we hardly ever washed.

Those turtles were outlawed because kids were putting them in their mouth and getting some kind of turtle disease. That wasn't the turtles fault, it was the parents fault. They should have fed those kids some spaghetti and meatballs if they were hungry so they wouldn't have to put the poor turtle in their mouth.

I miss those turtles......Especially their taste. :rolleyes:
I loved this write up! This was a good read and I can’t agree more.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Article just this week in a science publication about how plants receive most of their natural protection from disease through natural rain fall because...wait for it...the bacteria in the rain. I guess it is not science until it is published ;Facepalm .

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My business deals with bank owned foreclosures. Houses that haven't had power for years some times. Floods, roof leaks, infestation, and more mold varieties than you can imagine. Neighbors are always amazed when me and my guys aren't wearing masks while we work on them. The only time we do is when demo of drywall is being done. However none of us ever get sick. I always joke that the bacteria I get from Detroit will kill everything else.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I went to the doctor they would try to find something wrong with me. Then I have to have follow up tests for them to eventually find nothing. I've been diagnosed with everything from Lupus to Bone cancer. I don't go to the doctor any more and I feel fine.
My family and I got covid before there was a shot. I have 4 teenage boys and we all got it. The kids barely got sick and my wife and I got a little sick but nothing major. Now they want me to wear a mask everywhere and quarantine. WE KNOW WHAT QUARANTINING DOES -HA. We didn't do any of that. It's a busy house with all the kids, there's no way to hide from it. We found our natural immunity lasted about 10 mos, then we got the latest delta version. I was about 1/4 as sick with this version compared to the last and same with my wife. Only one kid got it and he was only sick for 3 days. The 3 other kids never had any symptoms. Natural Immunity!
Our Gov't wants to mandate we medicate and quarantine. Fauci must be spending time on the fish disease forums -ha.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fauci needs some Prizapro.

Unless you go into a doctors office with an arrow sticking out of your head, they will have no idea what is wrong with you, unless you go to a cardiologist. Then he will say you have a blood clot, a osteo guy will say you have an object lodged in your thoracic region. A gastro guy will say you have acid reflux caused by wood in your head, a psychiatrist may give you shock treatments, a chiropractor will tell you to stretch over an ironing board 6 times before breakfast while reading his book and a televangelist will ask you for a "spiritual" donation for the gas fund for his jet. :rolleyes:

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Article just this week in a science publication about how plants receive most of their natural protection from disease through natural rain fall because...wait for it...the bacteria in the rain. I guess it is not science until it is published ;Facepalm .
can i use rainwater for my reef?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GeoSquid, thats because everything in California gives you cancer and everything else. Here in New York we can drink paint thinner, brush our teeth with fiberglass and bathe in mercury and we are fine. :)

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently bought a piece of wood...think it was a 2x4...and it came with a prop 65 warning label....wood...not plywood or osb...not pressure treated...just plain pine....i looked it up and yes california now finds wood dust a carcinogen and urges you not to cut, drill or sand it without a mask....must be why they are trying to burn down those pesky forests to save us all....maybe i'm safe cause i've been vaccinating myself with splinters for all these years

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats because in Californis no one really works, so instead they walk around going "Doot Da Doo, Doot Da Doo looking for something that may, once out of 5,000,000 times give you cancer "if" you smoke 2 packs of cigarettes every day for 37 years while sleeping in a bed of asbestos and stirring your coffee with a lead spoon. ;Wideyed

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats because in Californis no one really works, so instead they walk around going "Doot Da Doo, Doot Da Doo looking for something that may, once out of 5,000,000 times give you cancer "if" you smoke 2 packs of cigarettes every day for 37 years while sleeping in a bed of asbestos and stirring your coffee with a lead spoon. ;Wideyed
It's the land of Fruits and Nutts!

If it weren't for the beaches and the ocean I wouldn't live here.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE have those here too. And you don't need a wet suit to go in them. :p

But it gets a little cool in the winter. ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I went to a Podiatrist. Contrary to popular opinion , Podiatrists know almost nothing about pods :oops:

The nurse came in and stuck my feet in a bucket of something that smelled like Prizapro.
I said, I realize my birthday is on Christmas, but you don't have to wash my feet.

So while I was there he took some X Rays of my feet which are old and I wore them out standing up arguing to people about quarantine,
reverse undergravel filters and home made rock.

These feet were made for walking, we just are not supposed to last this long. The guy wants me to take it easy and rest the feet.
He thinks I should, go to therapy and watch reality shows on TV.

That can't happen so I told him to shoot me.

I mean shoot me with cortisone.

He said it probably wouldn't do anything but he said OK anyway.

He said lay back and this may hurt.

I closed my eyes and then after a few seconds of bliss I screamed "JESUS MARY and JOSEPHINE"
What the heck was that?

That shot really hurt.

Then I realized he didn't give it to me yet, he just dropped a home made bowling ball on my foot that he wanted advice on as to if he should put it in his tank or not or if it would change the pH. :oops:

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Born again fish Jesus lol.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your daughter btw?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Daughter is much better, Thank you. She still has to quarantine and her fever is almost gone. Some of her taste came back but she can't smell anything, which is weird.

She can go out after 10 more days of quarantine if she tests negative.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back