OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I can't find the sunburst anthius bt that is normal. My 6' tank is a maze of interconnecting caves and tunnels and very little of my rock actually touches the gravel so some fish can and do hide sometimes for months.

I realize most people don't want fish like that but those are the fish I go for, oddities. I know they are in there and eventually I find all of them.

My Janss pipefish almost never comes out any more except for his snout and one of my Possum wrasses I can only find with a flashlight looking through and under the structure. One of my filefish is the same way and I catch a glimpse of him every few weeks so I know he is fine. :cool:

I do see the 2 new ruby red dragonettes and they are young so they are not hanging out together yet. When they fatten up a bit, they will find each other and spawn. :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For people who want dragonettes like this little female Ruby Red, scooter bleeny or mandarins, just look at how many pods she can eat in a couple of minutes........Thousands a day so unless you want to go broke buying pods, an aged tank is best.

I have a pair of these, mandarins, scooters and blue stripe pipefish so many pods are essential.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost half way through with another copper fish

Steampunk Fish.jpg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest pump you could get. You want a very slow flow, almost nothing in a 10 gallon tank probably 150 gallons an hour or less.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sometimes get them on Amazon for $12.00 Most are gone and used to be seven bucks.

I have one more but need to find a dozen somewhere.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish would you get inside a 10 gallon? i am going to get a pump and goop glue and other parts for my ugf and then i am going to get some crushed coral and start building my rocks, i am trying to use as many of the diy projects in your book so i can save my money for high end livestock

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what fish would you get inside a 10 gallon? i am going to get a pump and goop glue and other parts for my ugf and then i am going to get some crushed coral and start building my rocks, i am trying to use as many of the diy projects in your book so i can save my money for high end livestock
Look through here and see what are recommended for a 10 gallon.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, I wish we could search this thread! I know you think most reefers have tanks that are too clean and that you say your tank is dirtier and that is good. Can you define dirty? I'm sure you don't bother testing your water all the time but could you venture a guess - at what level are your nitrates?

I am trying to establish enough pods in my tank to support a green mandarin. My tank 180 reef is old and dfn dirty. The 180 reef was made from 2 existing tanks one 20 years old. I added pods 2 weeks ago and am dosing phyto but I think my tank is dirty enough to support the pods. I am at 80 nitrates... most would say toxic but I think my tank looks great and my softies are happy. I don't see pods on my glass or in the sand and that is odd bc in my past tanks the sand at night actually looked like it was moving b/c so much going on. Now I don't see that?

thanks!

Did Christie Brinkley show up at the art exhibit?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christie didn't show up. Maybe she got there just after I left. :)

My nitrates are about 40 but at one time they were 160.
By dirty I don't mean unkempt or that you see dirt anywhere. It means you may have some algae and "mulm" which is the stuff that grows in the back, in caves etc. And is composed of algae, pod shells, bacteria and general stuff that grows in an old tank. You can't see any detritus in my tank but it's there.

Pods need food and food is in detritus. They won't live on clean rocks but any food in the tank will cause an explosion of them.
I am sure you have pods in your tank, it's impossible not to have them. I also never bought a pod and never will, I am not even sure the pods you buy multiply in a tank. :cool:

But if you ever bought a coral or live rock, there are pods in there. Take out a small rock and look at it with a magnifying glass. I use a jewelers loupe.

I used to throw some sinking pellets behind the rocks just for the pods.

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any negative issues when your nitrates were 160? Your nitrates are 40 now... how often do you do water changes?

My nitrates are high and I think it is because I feed kinda heavy, live clams, live blackworms, and frozen. (and this past winter I stalled on water changes it is much harder in the cold as I need to move the water out the window and to the edge of my property. I have been told using the toilet will kill our septic system)

I am again making baby brine shrimp and ordered white worms to start a culture. I am getting another green mandarin but before I do I want to ensure my tank is pod ready. Do the red scooter blennies and the green mandarins live together happily? OR is it either or between them both. I do like the red scooter blennies... I watched one on your video of your tank. Since I am going to be making BBS and doing your feeding station... maybe I can have both?

Attachments

• BTA Explosion.jpg
    BTA Explosion.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those dragonettes live well together except if you have 2 males of the same species. Females also fight but not as bad as males. I think they get jealous if one has a better color. :confused:

When my nitrates were 160 I couldn't keep SPS at all.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back