Tank Build - 170Gal EXT - Innovative Marine - _Reefdad

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s just paper on the back wall it comes off I’ll post updated pictures here to show the tank!
are you talking about the brown cover or the actual black backing on the tank? I like the back to be see thru (i removed the black backing to my RS reefer, and will do the same here, unless the back glass is painted black.

jace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you talking about the brown cover or the actual black backing on the tank? I like the back to be see thru (i removed the black backing to my RS reefer, and will do the same here, unless the back glass is painted black.

I'm leaning really hard on getting the same IM 170ext because they use 19mm with a 22mm bottom. Most makers use 15mm for eurobrace tanks with the same 15mm or 19mm bottom for this size tank. So they're overbuilt. One thing i don't like is that the entire back inside wall is lined with acrylic. That's why you see the brown paper cover. I think they did this because it was easier for them to do so then to just do the overflow part or it just simply makes the esthetics look nicer ? The back inside being acrylic is not confirmed but from my research it appears that way. If true you won't have an option of removing black film, which most makers use for black background, in the back for it to be clear. I personally don't like the acrylic because you can't razor off the coralline like you can with glass.

I may still go with this setup and overlook the inside acrylic backing because of the overbuilt specs and the killer deal they have for made to order setups. If someone can chime in and say I'm completely wrong even better!!! Then without a doubt I'm go with this setup!!! lol

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll find out soon enough, lol. I think I should take delivery in the next 2 months.

I just hope the acrylic background does not add too much thickness as its already tought to find pumps that'll stick to that thick of glass alone, let along adding acrylic to it.

jace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll find out soon enough, lol. I think I should take delivery in the next 2 months.

I just hope the acrylic background does not add too much thickness as its already tought to find pumps that'll stick to that thick of glass alone, let along adding acrylic to it.
That's a good point. I didn't even think about that!

I'm actually surprised that no one has mentioned this or at least I can't find any info online to confirm.

But to my knowledge, glass does not come with brown paper, only acrylic or polypropylene (which is much thinner/stronger/warp resistant). But i doubt it's polypropylene due to its higher cost.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back