Tank Build - 170Gal EXT - Innovative Marine - _Reefdad

_reefdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers

My Name is Jeremy and I will be documenting my new tank build using this thread! I've been moving with the military and unable to settle down to start a tank. Finally, I am out of the military and we are settled in TEXAS! I started my first saltwater tank March of 2020 since then I've had 4 tanks, each tank bigger than the last. Now..... this tank is the biggest yet! The new build will be the Innovative Marine 170Gal EXT. I am a newer reefer and excited to be in the hobby. I love learning so please share any and all feedback!

Jeremy G
(_reefdad)

OP
OP
_reefdad

_reefdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 1: Tank Choice

So, what started this dream build is my current tank (redsea reefer 350) started to form a bubble in the seam. After a little research I noticed alot of others were experience the same thing with the redesea tanks. My first thought was to just replace it and get a new rsr350 but then I thought what better way to tell my wife its time for a BIGGER tank! So we talked and she liked the idea of also going bigger :).

Before deciding on the Innovative Marine tank I checked out the following tanks.

https://neptuniancubeusa.com/product/m180/

https://waterboxaquariums.com/products/reef?variant=33116724658285

https://www.cadeusa.com/aquariums/Reef-Series/cade-pro-reef-1800-series-2

I also checked out a few custom build tanks that I liked, but after reaching out to a few reefers on Instagram and YouTube they did not recommend them! (Yeah, that was a bummer!)

As you can see from the title of this thread we chose (IM) and the photos below were on delivery day.

PS: I can't confirm or deny if I had to tip the guy to stay and let me inspect the tank lol.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:

*Ruffian*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. I have the same tank arriving next week. Pretty much went thru the same list of tanks before settling with the IM 170 EXT.

It will be fun to see how we build out our tanks!

Thanks for your service and enjoy the tank.

Steve

OP
OP
_reefdad

_reefdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(insert Dramatic update here)

UPDATE: Sorry for the dramatic pause on the build so during this process we had mini reefer be born :)

The Build Thread now Continues:)

Attachments

• New Born.jpg
    New Born.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
_reefdad

_reefdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. I have the same tank arriving next week. Pretty much went thru the same list of tanks before settling with the IM 170 EXT.

It will be fun to see how we build out our tanks!

Thanks for your service and enjoy the tank.

Steve
Very nice! Did your tank ever come in?

OP
OP
_reefdad

_reefdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: #2

While the tank was in the garage I went ahead and put the stand together. I previously had a couple redsea tanks (redsea reefer 250) and redsea reefer 350) both wood stands. This was my first aluminum stand and OMG! First impressions is the stand is super sturdy I never had major issues with the wood ones but this one impressed me and was easy to setup as well.

Now that the stand was in place it was time to move tank! For the moved it took 4 guys, 8 super duty suction cups, and 1 DIY dolly ( we did not use this). I went with two cups per person because after watching and researching i seen a couple of them popped off.

We struggled a bit but we got the tank successfully in the house and the stand!.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 153
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 274

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real nice…I’m contemplating this tank to house all my grown out sps…There is a sale IM have going on now. What lighting you going with?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the tank coming along? I was looking at the IM EXT 150 lagoon for my next one but debating the 170 instead as the 150 lagoon might be difficult fitting through doorways.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? I just ordered this tank and want to get other's thoughts on it.

Also, is the vinyl on the back wall removable? I hate the vinyl backings on tanks.

OP
OP
_reefdad

_reefdad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s just paper on the back wall it comes off I’ll post updated pictures here to show the tank!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back