OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i dont have my tank lights on dyring my cycle. I keep reading conflicting info. Should i turn my lights on or should i wait till after mynfirst water change

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like your aqua scape. Those rocks are really white! Is there any coralline algae? Thought I saw that it was live rock?

Last tank I set up I left the lights off for 2 months.
Maybe just run your lights a few hrs a day or not at all. will help keep algae from taking over right away.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Iv ordered the lights which will get here weds and ill post what they are (i cant remember off the top of my head, my lfs store got them for me and i trust my fish guy 100%. I did it with a bottle and i kicked the process off by using copepods and plankton instead of a fish or a dead shrimp or liquid amonia.
i used fritz turbo start 900. 1 bottle of tiger pods which i split between my filter ( which is filled with live gems and live sand) and tank. 2 cap full of plankton the day i turned it on and 2 caps yesturday.

i am computer illiterate and cant figure out how toasd the badge for the build lol.
build thread time.. ;) @Peace River thanks

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are the step-by-step instructions to add your build thread banner:

1. Copy your build thread URL
2. Click here to edit the link in your profile: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/account-details
3. Scroll down the page until you see "R2R Tank Thread Link" and paste your build thread link in box next to it and then select "save"
4. Your build thread banner will show up below your name in all of your posts!

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my new led’s today! Been waiting all week for these bad boys.

Lets get to it!

I ordered the current orbit IC led strip light system with the control loop. It was insanely easy to set up. It came preset for me for my tank size. If you have any experience with this light feel free to lmk what your systems settings are!

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aye guys, so my cycle is clearly getting close to ending, my amonia has hit zero, but my nitrites are still very high, my nitrates are dropping. To give you some background i added fritzyme 9 48 hours ago as instructed by my lfs after they did a water change. I do not have my skimmer on and dont plan to until monday. Is that ok? Will they follow? I figured if amonia and nitrates are dropping shouldnt nitrites as well?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having nitrites in the water can interfere with getting a correct reading for nitrates.

Ammonia converts to nitrite then nitrate. So your nitrates should be on the high side. Fritz is good stuff, just be patient.

Sometimes it’s takes awhile for all the nitrite to convert to nitrate. Once all the nitrite has been converted is typically when a large water change is done.

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrites are massively high while my nitrates are dipping. Its just weird that the nitrates are lowering and nitrites are staying the same

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today while i was out i bought a couple pounds of cultured live rock to put in the tank from my lfs, where i get my water and all my livestock.

OP
OP
Evanbardiel

Evanbardiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amonia has spiked again slightly and i remembered theres still a little bit of shrimp left in the substrate and i recently moved that substrate around. Im suspecting whats lefts of that shrimp is decaying being eating by the bacteria still. My nitrite levels are getting lower, we’re below 2ppm finally.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking good ,the glow in the dark shells,caution paint may peel /disinigrate in salt??? :cool:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.7%
Back