Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
5032277B-B298-438D-BDE4-0C92D2353EFE.jpeg

125g tank.
In July of 2021 I converted this tank from freshwater Oscar’s to saltwater. I haven’t had any success since then.

Lost quite a few fish due to aggression in the tank. Lost a couple when my media bag ripped and purigen media made it into the display tank. Lost a few fish when my LFS told me a trigger fish would fit in a community tank. Most recently lost most of my tank to flukes.

I’ve tried adding corals about 4 times over the last 10 months. Not a single one even opened up. No one could figure out why…

3 weeks ago I took out the rock, drained the tank and moved my remaining fish to a QT set up. Put my rocks into a brute trash can with a pump and scrubbed my tank out after draining. I started to clean my sump and noticed that my fittings were blue….and then it hit me. I didn’t replace my brass fittings when I converted the tank over. They had been leaching copper/zinc/nickel into my tank for the entire time.

So this is my restarted tank. Almost a year later. Any of you guys made such a silly mistake?

Tidal Gardens
OP
N

Nurfed

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’ve been pulling copper out of this tank with cuprisorb in a reactor and poly filter stuck in a sump baffle since May. Added quite a few fish since the tank cycled.

2 gladiator clowns
1 firefish
1 engineer goby
2 diamond gobies
1 bi color foxface
1 coris wrasse
1 long nose hawk fish

Everyone is doing great so far. Any suggestions for additional stocking? Planning to add a small tang gang as my last additions.

Attachments

• IMG_3583.MOV
    22.7 MB · Views: 0
Tidal Gardens

Derrick0580

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Awesome it’s turning around!! I would have dumped gas in it and lit a match before taking that much time and money trying to figure it out! So I assume freshwater fish aren’t sensitive to copper and heavy metals like saltwater fish?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Awesome it’s turning around!! I would have dumped gas in it and lit a match before taking that much time and money trying to figure it out! So I assume freshwater fish aren’t sensitive to copper and heavy metals like saltwater fish?
Thats such a little about nothing would be affected except for some snails.

AquaCave

Do you use any types of "Filtration In a Bottle" in your reef aquarium?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 67 28.9%
  • NO

Votes: 137 59.1%
  • No but may try something in the future

Votes: 23 9.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 2.2%
Cultivated Reef