Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

It's been a few years since I've posted here because I've been tankless :(

But now I'm working on planning my next build!

However, I need your help. I'm stuck between the Innovative Marine 25 Gallon Lagoon or the 40G Cube(ish). I live in an apartment, and my lease renews in October 2019, so there is a chance I will have to move the tank then.My goal for this tank is to have a few about half and half of standard corals (euphyillia, red monti cap, acans) and high end corals.

Given that, I have decided on a few pro's and con's for each.

25 Lagoon
Pros:
- Price
- Shallower, easy to work in
- Will look more full, faster
- easier to move

Cons:
- Less Water Volume
- Could fill up too quickly

40 Gallon AIO
Pros:
- Water Volume
- Will fill up slower

Cons:
- Deeper (harder to clean)
- Price
- May take forever to look full

If you have one of these tanks, what are your likes and dislikes? I could really use the advice!!

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have these tanks, but I did own the fusion 20. I usually don't vote for the smaller tank, but in this case, I prefer the dimensions of the 25 lagoon. They make an ext version and that would even be better imo.

DMVReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned both and trust me when I say you wanna for Nuvo 40. With the 25 lagoon you’ll run out of space very quickly and after sand and rock you’ll end up with way less that 25G so you’ll have to work even harder to keep nitrates and phosphates down depending on live stock. I’ve lived in apartments with both these tanks and either way it’ll suck to move. Don’t waste your money and get the bigger tank that’ll last you longer.

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owned both and trust me when I say you wanna for Nuvo 40. With the 25 lagoon you’ll run out of space very quickly and after sand and rock you’ll end up with way less that 25G so you’ll have to work even harder to keep nitrates and phosphates down depending on live stock. I’ve lived in apartments with both these tanks and either way it’ll suck to move. Don’t waste your money and get the bigger tank that’ll last you longer.

That's kind of what I was thinking It takes similar equipment, so it's really only like $100 more for that much more space. I was hoping someone who had owned both would comment. Thanks!

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering creating a very similar thread. I too am moving in either January 2020 or July 2020 due to some unplanned events, meaning whatever tank I set up will not be in its place for too long since I'll likely start the build in December. I'm deciding whether to upgrade my 10G to the Nuvo 25 Lagoon like you for the duration or a Red Sea Reefer 170 (which I already actually have). I'd like to set up the Red Sea tank since I have it but am strongly considering the Nuvo 25 just because it's smaller and that probably means it's easier to move. I'll set up the Red Sea tank once I move (or just sell and upgrade to something larger afterwards). Some things I'm considering in my decision that might be relevant for you as well (there's alot of overlapping thoughts)...

Nuvo 25
Pros
-Easier to move
-Shallow look is cool
-Can be used as frag tank later
-Cheaper (but more pricey long term if you plan to go with a 40 later)

Cons
-Smaller so harder as everyone says but I've been ok with my 10 gallon tank so far although it's only been a few months. Been a challenge but not impossible
-Once you move, you'll upgrade the 25 to something else and by then you'll lose money. Might want to consider a 20/29 long ($20+$30 for HOB) as a cheaper alternative

Red Sea 170 which is like a 40 cube pretty much
Pros
-Larger volume
-More stocking options
-I also don't think it'll take too long to fill the tank compared to the Nuvo 25. Both have the same footprint
-No upgrades later

Cons
-Larger so moving may suck more
-Has sump so that may complicate move even more especially with plumbing and all

At the end of the day, I think it makes more sense to go 40. The reason is that the biggest decider is the difficulty of moving and I don't think moving them will be too different mainly because both take up a 24 x 20 space. I think it'd be different story for a 25 Nuvo vs a 4 foot tank or something. I'm not sure what I'm going to do and will end up asking for advice later too but the way I'm thinking to myself is "just do the red sea (40 gallons) since the main difference is that it's just 8 inches taller and has a few pieces to disassemble (plumbing) when moving"

OP
OP
Austin Lee

Austin Lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering creating a very similar thread. I too am moving in either January 2020 or July 2020 due to some unplanned events, meaning whatever tank I set up will not be in its place for too long since I'll likely start the build in December. I'm deciding whether to upgrade my 10G to the Nuvo 25 Lagoon like you for the duration or a Red Sea Reefer 170 (which I already actually have). I'd like to set up the Red Sea tank since I have it but am strongly considering the Nuvo 25 just because it's smaller and that probably means it's easier to move. I'll set up the Red Sea tank once I move (or just sell and upgrade to something larger afterwards). Some things I'm considering in my decision that might be relevant for you as well (there's alot of overlapping thoughts)...

Nuvo 25
Pros
-Easier to move
-Shallow look is cool

Cons
-Smaller so harder as everyone says but I've been ok with my 10 gallon tank so far although it's only been a few months. Been a challenge but not impossible
-Once you move, you'll upgrade the 25 to something else and by then you'll lose money. Might want to consider a 20/29 long ($20+$30 for HOB) as a cheaper alternative

Pros
-Larger volume
-More stocking options
-I also don't think it'll take too long to fill the tank compared to the Nuvo 25. Both have the same footprint
-No upgrades later

Cons
-Has sump so that may complicate move even more especially with plumbing and all

At the end of the day, I think it makes more sense to go 40. The reason is that the biggest decider is the difficulty of moving and I don't think moving them will be too different mainly because both take up a 24 x 20 space. I think it'd be different story for a 25 Nuvo vs a 4 foot tank or something. I'm not sure what I'm going to do and will end up asking for advice later too but the way I'm thinking to myself is "just do the red sea (40 gallons) since the main difference is that it's just 8 inches taller and has a few pieces to disassemble (plumbing) when moving"

That makes sense. If I were you, I'd go with the 25 lagoon, just to avoid dealing with the sump (hence my choice for the IM40). If that doesn't matter to you, I'd do the 40. That's what I'm leaning towards I think.

DMVReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nuvo 25
Pros
-Easier to move
-Shallow look is cool

Cons

Pros
-Larger volume
-More stocking options
-No upgrades later

Cons

Funny enough I actually own a RSR 170 and if I were in your situation I would just set up that tank. By buying and setting up the lagoon you’re going to end up moving more tanks unless you sell the 170 which I truthfully wouldn’t. Not for a lagoon.

ef42bb226ff1b18b1e9f2b06b30602f8.jpg

DMVReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of what I was thinking It takes similar equipment, so it's really only like $100 more for that much more space. I was hoping someone who had owned both would comment. Thanks!

Haha my pleasure! I saw the post and figured I’d give my two cents. They’re both really awesome tanks it just really depends on what type of reefer you are. I overstocked the hell out of my lagoon. My phosphates were well over 1.0. So that’s something I never want to re-live haha

b230884f35b62c18897dae68b3c4e3ff.jpg

PugsAndFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough I actually own a RSR 170 and if I were in your situation I would just set up that tank. By buying and setting up the lagoon you’re going to end up moving more tanks unless you sell the 170 which I truthfully wouldn’t. Not for a lagoon.

ef42bb226ff1b18b1e9f2b06b30602f8.jpg
You actually helped me decide on the 170 lol. I messaged you on IG about a 170 vs 250 cause I saw you had a few tanks and then got a 170 which I'm happy about now since the 250 would be a pain to move although it's probably the better tank overall.

What do you mean "By buying and setting up the lagoon you’re going to end up moving more tanks unless you sell the 170"? Not following the part about end up moving more tanks.

Like the clownfish BTW!

DMVReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You actually helped me decide on the 170 lol. I messaged you on IG about a 170 vs 250 cause I saw you had a few tanks and then got a 170 which I'm happy about now since the 250 would be a pain to move although it's probably the better tank overall.

What do you mean "By buying and setting up the lagoon you’re going to end up moving more tanks unless you sell the 170"? Not following the part about end up moving more tanks.

Like the clownfish BTW!

Hey! I remember haha. What a small world. I’m glad to hear that though. And I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s better to keep the Nuvo 10 and the RSR 170 instead of upgrading the 10 to the 25 and having to move 2 bigger tanks you know? Or even keep all 3 lol

Gaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, I’ve been thinking about the IM25 just because the idea of a lagoon tank seems so awesome. It’s great to see tanks from all 3-4 sides but to see the fish and corals from a top view, it seems to add an extra wow factor. That being said, if you already have the Red Sea, I’d just set that up. It’s an all in one, don’t have to worry about finding a stand for the IM25 and it’s a couple hundred you can put into getting some nice stuff for the Red Sea.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back