0   0   0
What alkalinity test kit do you use?

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem with too low of nutrients even while feeding a bit heavier than you at 4+ cubes of frozen per day + phyto and reef chili on my 165. My cheato recently died back pretty good due to Nitrate hitting 0.00 (I also noticed Iodine hit zero). Unfortunately the feeding more method just didn't work for my tank so I had to start nitrate dosing. Nearly immediately after starting to dose nitrate and iodine my cheato is coming back strong and dark green again. Corals also look much better with nitrate dosing. I also turned my skimmer pump down to mid speed setting and skim very dry which seems to help increase nutrients but still not enough.

Absent nitrate dosing I think it's pretty normal for Cheato to go through growth /die-off cycles as nutrients fluctuate (or rather it it grows to the point that it strips all nutrients causing a new cycle).

Perhaps trimming it more often might help? I'm experimenting with this now. I also noticed that it can become quite dense and compacted if left untrimmed which over time really increases the amount of cheato in a given space (mine literally became a cube that would hold it's shape when removed).

Last edited:
OP
OP
helljack6

helljack6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same problem with too low of nutrients even while feeding a bit heavier than you at 4+ cubes of frozen per day + phyto and reef chili on my 165. My cheato recently died back pretty good due to Nitrate hitting 0.00 (I also noticed Iodine hit zero). Unfortunately the feeding more method just didn't work for my tank so I had to start nitrate dosing. Nearly immediately after starting to dose nitrate and iodine my cheato is coming back strong and dark green again. Corals also look much better with nitrate dosing. I also turned my skimmer pump down to mid speed setting and skim very dry which seems to help increase nutrients but still not enough.

Absent nitrate dosing I think it's pretty normal for Cheato to go through growth /die-off cycles as nutrients fluctuate (or rather it it grows to the point that it strips all nutrients causing a new cycle).

Perhaps trimming it more often might help? I'm experimenting with this now. I also noticed that it can become quite dense and compacted if left untrimmed which over time really increases the amount of cheato in a given space (mine literally became a cube that would hold it's shape when removed).

I need more information on this thing called nitrate dosing.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A few drops twice a week of manganese/iron supplement and good lighting will keep it thriving

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need more information on this thing called nitrate dosing.

Many use Spectacide stump remover (potassium nitrate) available from Home Depot. I use ammonia because I have many tanks. Even though I feed heavy including a live mussel each day for live gut cavity bacteria, I find food heavy on phosphate so I compensate by adding nitrate. Also, because cynobacteria can make its own nitrogen, I level the competition by making nitrogen available.

With respect to dosing iron, it is a good thing to do. Often, iron is the limiting nutrient that prevents macro from growing. When I first starting dosing iron, it was on a tumble culture of Gracilaria Hayi. Within24 hours, I saw a color change to a vibrant fire engine red from a pale yellow orange. It took a week for the second change, scientist have know about iron storage in terrestrial plants, but I was surprised when I saw extra growth that went from flat semi brittle tissue to fat pliable tissue. As time went by without iron dosing, the growth resided back to normal.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wet-salty-for-christmas-2017.428100/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...m-on-top-with-30g-ecosystem-mud-macro.421526/

Last edited:

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start dosing small amounts of a metal supplement - ESV makes a really good one and so does KZ (coral system 1 but I do not known the iron content)

iDeath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue and started feeding more and skimming less. My skimmer now only comes on 75% of the day. It got my nutrient level up a bit and the chaeto took off.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%
Back