Tank Choices. Help me decide.

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sometime now it has been my dream to do a frag tank. I am trying to decide between buying a 24x24 acrylic frag tank from advanced acrylics vs a nuvo 25 lagoon. The advanced would need a sump, and would end up being around 600$ after it is all set up. The nuvo would be 350, and I wouldnt need a sump. What would you guys do? The most important to me is clean beautiful anesthetics. I plan to keep pretty much only zoanthids in the tank.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sometime now it has been my dream to do a frag tank. I am trying to decide between buying a 24x24 acrylic frag tank from advanced acrylics vs a nuvo 25 lagoon. The advanced would need a sump, and would end up being around 600$ after it is all set up. The nuvo would be 350, and I wouldnt need a sump. What would you guys do? The most important to me is clean beautiful anesthetics. I plan to keep pretty much only zoanthids in the tank.
If its ony zoa's as a frag tank, I'd just go with the Nuvo. Easy enough to keep.

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is for the Nuvo 25 lagoon. I just ordered one for a frag tank setup as well.

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to run it similar to my 20 cube AIO but with 2 media baskets. Filter floss on top and then a bag of Seachem pond matrix and Chemipure blue after that (probably only in one basket). I'm going to squeeze in a second return pump and run 2 RFGs. I may have over done lighting (I'm not an expert) I've got a Reefbreeders Photon v2+ 24. My thinking was I can mount it high so I get good coverage and rent a par meter to dial it in. I'm also going to try out the AutoAqua AWC system on this tank. I'm still looking into what powerhead I should get.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to run it similar to my 20 cube AIO but with 2 media baskets. Filter floss on top and then a bag of Seachem pond matrix and Chemipure blue after that (probably only in one basket). I'm going to squeeze in a second return pump and run 2 RFGs. I may have over done lighting (I'm not an expert) I've got a Reefbreeders Photon v2+ 24. My thinking was I can mount it high so I get good coverage and rent a par meter to dial it in. I'm also going to try out the AutoAqua AWC system on this tank. I'm still looking into what powerhead I should get.
I run a auto aqua awc on my nuvo 10. I would not recommend it. The problem lie in the way it changes water. It does not work on a aio. Your heater will be above water, and that water levels wont work right while its running. When i use it i shut off my heater, and return pump. It wouldnt work auto though. A cheap way of doing a awc that would work would be a jebao dosing pump though.

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's disappointing news. I will look into the way you suggested.

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's disappointing news. I will look into the way you suggested.
Yes it empties the water. Waits 3 minutes then refills it. Most awc systems empty at the same time as filling. Thats means you can only use the awc with a sump pretty much.

Mattt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a water change do you have it setup for? I was thinking 1/2 to 1 gallon a day. I would think it could do that without too much issue in an AIO right?

OP
OP
J

Juka087

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a water change do you have it setup for? I was thinking 1/2 to 1 gallon a day. I would think it could do that without too much issue in an AIO right?
No because your going to be removing water from the rear compartment. How will you do that without exposing your heater.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back