Tank crash, ICP test, and New Build

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short my tank crashed, I found my nero pump controller sitting in my sump (photos below). I immediately did an icp test find results below. I’ve been doing several waterchanges and running carbon between the crash to now. As per my icp test is it safe to assume the metal in the tank was the only issue? I’m replacing my current tank with a new one this Friday, I assume there’s metal within my live rock, is there anything I can do about getting that out in time for my new tanks arrival. I have to transfer over my fish same day as someone will be taking my old tank and I was hoping I could use the cycled rock and media to jump start the new tank. Anything helps!! Thanks In advance!!

F033295B-0799-49E4-B9CA-8F53E763AD0E.png 7E8F6D38-24C7-4D4B-AE5D-1F4DD6459DCF.png 68F0D162-A6E2-4AEC-806A-64FE912E1BAF.png E3AE19A1-3C03-4553-8432-50F1B0EA067A.png EF27F2CD-1B9A-404B-B467-FDEBB4EFD092.png 69135D05-4B10-4C44-8E9B-BB1DCAD23429.jpeg B0F8073D-30F5-4060-820A-0007CBDAD500.jpeg 5D2D7B67-C944-4DF6-A906-0398072AD611.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say crashed, did you lose corals, fish and inverts? Lots of carbon, ChemiPure Blue and probably Cuprasorb for the copper - but a few days is a very short timeframe.

Plan A would be to move the rocks and corals into black rubbermaid troughs with new saltwater and Bio-Spira, filtration, catbon, heaters, flow, etc.

Plan B would be to do the same for fish and inverts.

Plan C would be to dismantle the old tank and get it ready for the new buyer. Then assemble the new tank, new sand, potentially (some) new dry rock and Bio-Spira again. Then transfer fish, corals and inverts across. Finally your old rock once you're satisfied there aren't any issues with metals.

This is just what I would do based on the limited information available. Others may have different or even better suggestions.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say crashed, did you lose corals, fish and inverts? Lots of carbon, ChemiPure Blue and probably Cuprasorb for the copper - but a few days is a very short timeframe.

Plan A would be to move the rocks and corals into black rubbermaid troughs with new saltwater and Bio-Spira, filtration, catbon, heaters, flow, etc.

Plan B would be to do the same for fish and inverts.

Plan C would be to dismantle the old tank and get it ready for the new buyer. Then assemble the new tank, new sand, potentially (some) new dry rock and Bio-Spira again. Then transfer fish, corals and inverts across. Finally your old rock once you're satisfied there aren't any issues with metals.

This is just what I would do based on the limited information available. Others may have different or even better suggestions.
Crash as in all my inverts died as well as half my coral, all happened in a couple hours, fish seem healthy haven’t lost any yet. I relocated the coral that had a fighting chance. So essentially just recycle the rocks with some cuprasorb in the mix? I’ll have to get some new rocks in the meantime I guess, I just don’t want to have to toss the current rocks I have.

OP
OP
Gonj

Gonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crash as in all my inverts died as well as half my coral, all happened in a couple hours, fish seem healthy haven’t lost any yet. I relocated the coral that had a fighting chance. So essentially just recycle the rocks with some cuprasorb in the mix? I’ll have to get some new rocks in the meantime I guess, I just don’t want to have to toss the current rocks I have.
Also my water looked milky upon the crash I did a bunch of waterchanges to get it clear again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back