Tank crash

Supermario1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello i just move to round rock from California. My plan was to aerate and heat my fish and rocks with coral. Something went weong and heater for liverock failed when i got to texas i tried to set everything back up but everything has died :( now the tank smells horrible and after a week of filtering and water changes my tank is still a mess. Some of my fish have died . (Yellow tang,sailfin tang and striped damsels) i still have purple tang and clownfish blue hippo tang,) my worri is that they too will die soon if i dont stabalize soon . Need some help . Ive already spent for new carbon and have gone through like 100 gallons of water changes

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your troubles and losses and welcome to R2R!

Have you tested ammonia and nitrates?
You should increase flow as much as possible in the tank, point your powerbeads to the surface, add more powerbeads or an airstone if you can. I would also dose Prime to detox ammonia, note that prime can also deplete oxygen so flow is critical. Lastly, adding some nitrifying bacteria could help as well.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R and very sorry for your troubles. Have you tested your water, ammonia and nitrite come to mind for the fish. Definitely dose some prime ASAP because the ammonia is the worse for fish.

Temp may be another issue check and make sure it’s around 78. Do you have any pics which could help? As also mentioned increase the flow and air an air stone.

Sincerely
Sarah

rsumner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Have you tested ammonia and nitrates?
You should increase flow as much as possible in the tank, point your powerbeads to the surface, add more powerbeads or an airstone if you can. I would also dose Prime to detox ammonia, note that prime can also deplete oxygen so flow is critical. Lastly, adding some nitrifying bacteria could help as well.

I agree with this. The smell is likely things decaying. The death is likely related to excessive ammonia or nitrite as a result of the decay. Hopefully you've got some test kits to verify these concerns otherwise you'll be trying various things blindfolded.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back