Tank crashing suddenly?!

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week my tank was 3.5 months old. I have 2 clowns and 1 starry blenny. Everything was going well despite the ugly stage forming. I went to my LFS to buy clean up crew, and bought a dozen or so snails/hermits, and also a short spined black urchin. They also recommended me to dose seachem stability. I have been consistently dosing stabiltiy as the directions say, and this morning all of my fish are suddenly on the sandbed breathing heavily. I noticed a couple crabs have died, and the urchin is losing alot of spines. I tested ammonia with red sea kit and it was around 0.2. First time it has increased since the initial cycle. Im sure it spiked because of the deaths, but what caused the sudden crash? My temp is consistently 78 and my salinity is 1.024. I performed a 20% water change. What can I do?

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another thing to note, this morning my skimmer was going crazy with bubbles. Like out of control bubbles, it has never done this before.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first sorry to hear about your loss .
This hobby can be tricky until your tank becomes stable
dosing anything blindly is careless .
why would someone suggest dosing anything without knowing if it’s needed ?
It claims to be different strains of beneficial bacteria but if the system is already cycled I would assume the extra bacteria triggered a “mini cycle “ ( essentially too much bacteria intake and not enough to process it safely in a timely manner without being toxic )
This would also explain the skimmer going crazy .

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the insight. Ill have to be more careful next time before dosing anything. I was told the Stability would help take care of my diatom/algae issue. The tank definitely appears cleaner, but sacrificing my fish isn't what I had in mind.

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from an expert, but how long were the new invertebrates in the tank before the crash? The timeline isn't clear to me; is it possible that the invertebrate death is what triggered the ammonia, rather than the ammonia happening first? And was it a dozen snails/hermits combined or a dozen of each?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage is part of the maturing process of a reef tank, it takes several months to get through (sometimes up to a year), in which time you should be learning about the natural ways of beating algae. As you just found out, using bottled chemicals is just short term solution that often have bad side affects.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm far from an expert, but how long were the new invertebrates in the tank before the crash? The timeline isn't clear to me; is it possible that the invertebrate death is what triggered the ammonia, rather than the ammonia happening first? And was it a dozen snails/hermits combined or a dozen of each?
CUC was in there since last saturday, so only a week. I dont remember exactly the type, but it was about 4 snails, 4 nassarus snails, and 4 hermit crabs. I noticed 2 crabs died, so maybe they triggered the spike? Or maybe it was the Stability. Im not sure.

Sonatine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CUC was in there since last saturday, so only a week. I dont remember exactly the type, but it was about 4 snails, 4 nassarus snails, and 4 hermit crabs. I noticed 2 crabs died, so maybe they triggered the spike? Or maybe it was the Stability. Im not sure.

Those crabs could definitely release a lot of ammonia, but without knowing what caused their deaths, it's also possible the ammonia spike happened first and killed them.

Either way, I don't know that your management strategies would change much, and the others have given you some pretty good advice there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bacterial additive, perhaps it caused a bloom and lowered oxygen or such. It is hard to know.

I would never try to fix algae with bottled products and if you go to seachems website it is not even marketed for algae or diatoms. In fact, it says it is harmless to aquatic plants.

That store doesn't know what they are talking about.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week my tank was 3.5 months old. I have 2 clowns and 1 starry blenny. Everything was going well despite the ugly stage forming. I went to my LFS to buy clean up crew, and bought a dozen or so snails/hermits, and also a short spined black urchin. They also recommended me to dose seachem stability. I have been consistently dosing stabiltiy as the directions say, and this morning all of my fish are suddenly on the sandbed breathing heavily. I noticed a couple crabs have died, and the urchin is losing alot of spines. I tested ammonia with red sea kit and it was around 0.2. First time it has increased since the initial cycle. Im sure it spiked because of the deaths, but what caused the sudden crash? My temp is consistently 78 and my salinity is 1.024. I performed a 20% water change. What can I do?
How are you measuring and controlling temperature? And salinity, don’t forget salinity. Mini cycles of 0.2 total ammonia are generally harmless.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bacterial additive, perhaps it caused a bloom and lowered oxygen or such. It is hard to know.

I would never try to fix algae with bottled products and if you go to seachems website it is not even marketed for algae or diatoms. In fact, it says it is harmless to aquatic plants.

That store doesn't know what they are talking about.
I was wondering that but assumed they were the experts. The LFS is now recommending me to use Seachem Prime.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring and controlling temperature? And salinity, don’t forget salinity. Mini cycles of 0.2 total ammonia are generally harmless.
I don't have a temp controller, just a neotherm 150 watt heater. I check temp manually once a week or so. Salinity I check every week. I have an ATO that tops off the tank with RODI water. Salinity and temp has been very consistent since I started the tank.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Prime will only bind ammonia for 48 hours and buy you time. Get hold of some Poly Filter (LFS may have) and it will remove ammonia and other needed things (see product description). I would do another larger water change too.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a temp controller, just a neotherm 150 watt heater. I check temp manually once a week or so. Salinity I check every week. I have an ATO that tops off the tank with RODI water. Salinity and temp has been very consistent since I started the tank.
Ok, but a heater I tested recently was set on 26C but wobbled from 26 to 30C.

TheBackAndForth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You neeed to go to the pet store and get an ammonia chelator product, that will inactivate the ammonia. Then massive ******* water change. 80%, repeat. 20% takes out only 1/5 of the problem, then the next 20% takes out only 1/5 of that problem. AKA two 20% water changes only removes 24% of the ammonia.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back