Tank crashing suddenly?!

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me this doesn't make sense, 0.2 total ammonia shouldnt kill two clownfish assuming normal ph. There was also a skimmer running - I assume continously? So oxygen shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank last Saturday:
Front E170 8.19.jpg

Attachments

• Right E170 8.19.jpg
    Right E170 8.19.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Left E170 8.19.jpg
    Left E170 8.19.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me this doesn't make sense, 0.2 total ammonia shouldnt kill two clownfish assuming normal ph. There was also a skimmer running - I assume continously? So oxygen shouldn't be an issue.
Yea, I don't understand either. Skimmer was running continuously.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week my tank was 3.5 months old. I have 2 clowns and 1 starry blenny. Everything was going well despite the ugly stage forming. I went to my LFS to buy clean up crew, and bought a dozen or so snails/hermits, and also a short spined black urchin. They also recommended me to dose seachem stability. I have been consistently dosing stabiltiy as the directions say, and this morning all of my fish are suddenly on the sandbed breathing heavily. I noticed a couple crabs have died, and the urchin is losing alot of spines. I tested ammonia with red sea kit and it was around 0.2. First time it has increased since the initial cycle. Im sure it spiked because of the deaths, but what caused the sudden crash? My temp is consistently 78 and my salinity is 1.024. I performed a 20% water change. What can I do?

How quickly did the crabs die off?

If there is a large difference in the salinity of your tank and the salinity of your LFS, the rapid die off may be due to osmotic shock. Did you acclimate the CUC prior to placing them in your display tank?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more fundamental. There’s summit really wrong. Salinity and temp are the obvious culprits according to occams razor

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How quickly did the crabs die off?

If there is a large difference in the salinity of your tank and the salinity of your LFS, the rapid die off may be due to osmotic shock. Did you acclimate the CUC prior to placing them in your display tank?
I am not sure honestly. I didn't notice anything was dead until this morning.

I put them in a 5 gallon bucket and added a cup of water every few minutes for about 15-20 minutes or so.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering that but assumed they were the experts. The LFS is now recommending me to use Seachem Prime.

Understand this:

The brick & mortar stores are struggling to compete with their on line counterparts. Its a survival thing. Their advice is often driven by sales.

OP
OP
I

Indiana Jones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more fundamental. There’s summit really wrong. Salinity and temp are the obvious culprits according to occams razor
I use an ATO to help with salinity. Its always been pretty consistent 1.024-1.025.

Temp has been around 78 every time I check it, but I'm not using a temp controller. It's possible it may be fluctuating more than I realize.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are really hardy... I never acclimate them tbh... just toss em in. They survive copper and chloroquine phosphate... little cute roaches! I am surprised they died before a snail.

The only thing that seems to kill them is a bad molt or another hermit crab (well and invert predators).

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermit crabs are really hardy... I never acclimate them tbh... just toss em in. They survive copper and chloroquine phosphate... little cute roaches! I am surprised they died before a snail.

The only thing that seems to kill them is a bad molt or another hermit crab (well and invert predators).
Lol, I used to breed Dubai’s roaches, till I spilt them all over the floor and they really threatened my marital status.

Last edited:

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is not mb7 or anything that should be dosed daily with fish in an aquarium. I'm not sure what it really does but I'm guessing that since it cost LFS's cent's on the dollar this is why their pushing it. Best way to find out is to call your lfs and ask if they have mb7. If they dont you know why and it poisoned you tank. OD of stability = low oxygen and high ammonia which = burning gills and fish death. Sorry for your loss it sucks.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is not mb7 or anything that should be dosed daily with fish in an aquarium. I'm not sure what it really does but I'm guessing that since it cost LFS's cent's on the dollar this is why their pushing it. Best way to find out is to call your lfs and ask if they have mb7. If they dont you know why and it poisoned you tank. OD of stability = low oxygen and high ammonia which = burning gills and fish death. Sorry for your loss it sucks.
Adding stability did not cause this. It may be a waste of time and money, however.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In normal parameters or a mature tank ( but even 0.2ppm ammonia shouldn’t exist in a cycled tank !
Now add some sort of bacteria that also uses oxygen in the water to colonize .

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stability is a cycling bacteria product. It's used when cycling a new tank OR - adding new bio load to a relatively immature tank. It's pretty simple here.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is a cycling bacteria product. It's used when cycling a new tank OR - adding new bio load to a relatively immature tank. It's pretty simple here.
So lets just keep pouring stability in our tank daily, nothing bad gonna happen here, I promise everything will be just fine. Wait isnt this the post where everything just died? Whoops yeah stability good with fish more the better.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back