Tank Cycle and livestock question

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently setup a 10gal UNS AIO tank. It's been up for two weeks and as of today I tested two days in row that I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and 10ppm of nitrates. I think my tank has cycle based on this information. When I first got these results, I dosed Tim's ammonia again to make sure and in about two days I had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. I have not done any water changes other than add RODI when water evaporates. I used dry rock and non live sand that my LFS had.

I will be using a AI 16HD and a Nero 3 powerhead. I was debating if I should do fish first then add some corals or just corals base on the size of the tank.

My LFS is telling me I can do two clown fishes. I wanted to ask here for another opinion.

PH= 7.8
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10ppm
Water temp = 80F

IMG_9175.jpg IMG_8996.jpg

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently setup a 10gal UNS AIO tank. It's been up for two weeks and as of today I tested two days in row that I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites and 10ppm of nitrates. I think my tank has cycle based on this information. When I first got these results, I dosed Tim's ammonia again to make sure and in about two days I had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. I have not done any water changes other than add RODI when water evaporates. I used dry rock and non live sand that my LFS had.

I will be using a AI 16HD and a Nero 3 powerhead. I was debating if I should do fish first then add some corals or just corals base on the size of the tank.

My LFS is telling me I can do two clown fishes. I wanted to ask here for another opinion.

PH= 7.8
Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 10ppm
Water temp = 80F

IMG_9175.jpg IMG_8996.jpg
It looks like you are at the end of your cycle and it should be safe to add fish. In that size tank with that work work I would probably only do 3 fish as well. But you can still get a lot of character/personality in that tank with unique smaller inverts like crabs or shrimp :)

OP
OP
R

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want clowns? Tank is a little small for a pair, but people do it.
I do want a pair of clown fishes but hesitate because of the size of the tank. I thought of purchasing very small clown fishes first but right now I don't know if I would move to a bigger tank in the next two years. Maybe one with just corals? If I do just go with corals should I wait a longer period of time before adding corals?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, tank is cycled. I would add the fish first, no more than 2 first, test and do WCs when needed. The corals will want some nutrients in the tank to be happy. You will achieve this by feeding your fish. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, if I decide to hold off on getting any fishes for the next couple weeks, would I still need to dose with ammonia until I get some fishes?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, if I decide to hold off on getting any fishes for the next couple weeks, would I still need to dose with ammonia until I get some fishes?
Good question.
No. I let my QT sit fishless for months at a time, and it's still cycled when I add a fish.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, feeding isn’t required to keep bacteria alive.

a starved cycle has never been documented in reefing, in a forum post. I’ve seen a thousand people try and pin .25 ammonia readings as proof of a starved cycle, but that doesn’t mean any proof exists from digital measures, starving bacteria/undoing a cycle doesn’t occur in the reef tank hobby.

you can’t withhold aquarium feed and make a heated, circulated and cycled system go sterile. Water in a home is never going to be sterile until you boil it, especially when open capped and actively exchanging bacteria in and out of the tank with the surrounding room.

we have cycles on file with specific reads where a stack of rocks placed only in heated water for 4 months self cycled without any feed, any bottle bac, only time (and the room contaminants that always get into bodies of water inside a home non lab setting)

I have also on file DJCitys three year fallow test (no feeding 36 months a stack of test rocks in saltwater in his garage)

after three years he added test load ammonia, all at once with no ramp up, oxidized overnite.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back