Tank Cycle

steveohish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m Steve I’m new to the saltwater aquarium hobby I’m cycling my tank now seems to be right on the money, I’m just trying to get an idea of when I should add a cleanup crew and when should I do my first water change, it’s a 55 gallon with sump it’ll be week 3 this Sunday

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “right on the money”. What are your nutrient levels? What test kits are you using? What did you use to start your cycle?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on nutrients

I'd wait on adding a cleanup crew until you start seeing algae etc. It's easy to add but if you do it too soon they'll starve and add to your potential nutrient problems. There's no reason adding a CUC before fish etc... Also, should think long term what you want to keep in your tank as some CUC may be incompatible.

Wieloch89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on nutrients

I'd wait on adding a cleanup crew until you start seeing algae etc. It's easy to add but if you do it too soon they'll starve and add to your potential nutrient problems. There's no reason adding a CUC before fish etc... Also, should think long term what you want to keep in your tank as some CUC may be incompatible.
Yea what they said... since they actually answered your question. Agreed though, it’s important to figure out what live stock you intend to keep to make sure it’s all compatable. Snails eat certain kinds of algae depending on the species and if you’re not even seeing diatoms yet, not that they eat that, I would absolutely wait. And things like shrimp and crabs, although some eat algae, scrounge around for uneaten food scraps so I would hold off on those even longer unless you intend to feed extra to make sure they don’t starve. Then we’re back to adding unnecessary nutrients.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back