Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey Everyone,
New into the hobby in Pittsburgh and wanted to ask what might be a stupid question. But I have read so much that when starting a new tank bacteria from a well established tank makes a world of difference. Is there anyone in the area with a decent chunk of rock or filter media they would part with? Thinking even a filter they keep in case of needing to cycle a QT tank.
Like I said might be a dumb request but figured it couldn’t hurt to see.
Thanks!

AS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Hey Everyone,
New into the hobby in Pittsburgh and wanted to ask what might be a stupid question. But I have read so much that when starting a new tank bacteria from a well established tank makes a world of difference. Is there anyone in the area with a decent chunk of rock or filter media they would part with? Thinking even a filter they keep in case of needing to cycle a QT tank.
Like I said might be a dumb request but figured it couldn’t hurt to see.
Thanks!
Most pet stores and local reef clubs generally will

OP
J

Jkellar

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The Reef Gallery has actual real rock. Also has cycled bio media. If you come in I will also give you some Fritz Turbo Start for free.
That’s awesome. I’m not far away in Gibsonia. I’ll stop up tomorrow. I already added a bottle of dr Tim’s and have been doing the ammonia steps. But was hoping to get a more diverse system after doing some reading.

Click to join now!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
That’s awesome. I’m not far away in Gibsonia. I’ll stop up tomorrow. I already added a bottle of dr Tim’s and have been doing the ammonia steps. But was hoping to get a more diverse system after doing some reading.
I did not see you today, that's fine stop by whenever you are ready. I'll be there M, W, F, Sat Noon - 7pm.

Are you going to the Expo next Saturday?

OP
J

Jkellar

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I did not see you today, that's fine stop by whenever you are ready. I'll be there M, W, F, Sat Noon - 7pm.

Are you going to the Expo next Saturday?
Sorry about that work got in the way and I never made it up. Plan is to come up tomorrow afternoon.

At this point in time I wasn't planning on the Expo next Saturday since I won't be in a spot to put much in my tank at that point.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Sorry about that work got in the way and I never made it up. Plan is to come up tomorrow afternoon.

At this point in time I wasn't planning on the Expo next Saturday since I won't be in a spot to put much in my tank at that point.
You come see me tomorrow and with what I give you your tank will be cycled before the Expo. I wouldn't go putting Acros in it, but there will be plenty of other things that would do fine.

Avast

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey JKellar, I am in Gibsonia too. Where abouts are you? I live very near the intersection of Rt8 and Rt 910 on Clendenning Rd. If I had seen this sooner I could have given you a small rock from my sump. Maybe you still might like some for bio-diversity. I could give you some sand too.

OP
J

Jkellar

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey JKellar, I am in Gibsonia too. Where abouts are you? I live very near the intersection of Rt8 and Rt 910 on Clendenning Rd. If I had seen this sooner I could have given you a small rock from my sump. Maybe you still might like some for bio-diversity. I could give you some sand too.
Sent you a PM

How much of your saltwater reef tank is automated?

• Nothing is automated

Votes: 65 13.6%
  • 25% or so

Votes: 149 31.2%
  • 50% or so

Votes: 107 22.4%
  • 75% or so

Votes: 104 21.8%
  • Close to 100%

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • Totally Automated (we need proof)

Votes: 3 0.6%