Tank cycled already?

jwinkbach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Brand new to the forum. First post. Although I have read many posts for some great info!!

I have a 210g tank I got running 15 days ago. I filled it with some sand and rock from an old tank that has been sitting in a plastic bin for 2 years along with some new rock and sand. The rock is caribsea liferock and 40 lbs of caribsea live sand. I got some dr Tim's ammonia today with some test kits. I put the recommended amount 250gal at 4 drops/gal is 1000 drops I put in 10 tsp. at 100drops each. Tested for ammonia an hour later and it was 0. So I dumped in the rest of the bottle and tested again...maybe a little? Almost looked like 0. Sk I decided to test for nitrites and nitrates at which I got 0 nitrite and 25 nitrate...is this actually cycled already? How fast can the bacteria remove the ammonia?
Thanks.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks will cycle very quickly when using live rock. However there is a big difference between cycled (safe for fish to be added slowly.) and stable or established. Your old rock probably still has a lot of beneficial bacteria in and on it. However I would take it slowly none the less.

Stable to me means your able to measure and maintain proper water parameters. That just takes time, experience and practice. This is when you need to learn about water chemistry and how it affects our tanks. The relationship between salinity, PH, Alk, CA magnesium, as well nutrient control. How do are you going to manage them? Once stable soft corals can be added slowly.

Established is much harder to define. Stable, past the various ugly phases, established pods and other criters, including CUC. This is takes 3-6 months in many cases. Longer with dry rock. Experienced hobbiest are able to cut the time because they have the experience to achieve stability quickly. This is a good time to be learning motr about the animals you are planning to keep.

Established is when more sensitive animals, anemones and corsls can be added safely. Again it is best to go slowly as adding a bunch of corals can change you stability.

Welcome to the hobby. Enjoy and good luck!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I agree L nice call

we have an instance of this being documented how neat to see a second instance, fallow testing is quite rare.

see post 188.

Rhoads238

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that you are probably cycled but you should go slow with your additions as others have mentioned. My coral QT took about a week to cycle with dry rock but I'm just going to let it roll for a couple of months.

OP
OP
J

jwinkbach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thabks for all the input. I ended up getting a pair of clownfish...was only going to get one but my wife said they were pals and we couldn't split them up. Also got a few snails and a couple emerald crabs. Figured that would be a good start to see how everything goes.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks will cycle very quickly when using live rock. However there is a big difference between cycled (safe for fish to be added slowly.) and stable or established. Your old rock probably still has a lot of beneficial bacteria in and on it. However I would take it slowly none the less.

Stable to me means your able to measure and maintain proper water parameters. That just takes time, experience and practice. This is when you need to learn about water chemistry and how it affects our tanks. The relationship between salinity, PH, Alk, CA magnesium, as well nutrient control. How do are you going to manage them? Once stable soft corals can be added slowly.

Established is much harder to define. Stable, past the various ugly phases, established pods and other criters, including CUC. This is takes 3-6 months in many cases. Longer with dry rock. Experienced hobbiest are able to cut the time because they have the experience to achieve stability quickly. This is a good time to be learning motr about the animals you are planning to keep.

Established is when more sensitive animals, anemones and corsls can be added safely. Again it is best to go slowly as adding a bunch of corals can change you stability.

Welcome to the hobby. Enjoy and good luck!
+1 Agreed. I think it doesn’t hurt to be patient and let the tank mature and get established alittle longer before adding anything.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back