Tank Cycling and adding pods

x19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started the cycling process in my tank 15 days ago using MicroBactr StartXLM and QuickCycle. Ammonia measures 0, Nitrite maxed at 1 (Red Sea), Nitrate 20. Last time I cycled a tank was a decade ago using the frozen shrimp method.

I understand that modern fishless cycling with bacteria in a bottle means my tank is safe for fish now, as we understand Nitrite isn’t really an issue, plus the presence of Nitrate means I do have some bacteria capable of converting the Nitrite.

My first fish are undergoing quarantine following HumbleFish’s method, and have a 10 days of copper still to go before going on to the observation tank for 14 days. So it’ll be a while before they’re ready to move in.

My question is, with the understanding that the cycle is done now and that Nitrite isn’t a big concern, can I start introducing pods, inverts, and super basic coral now (thinking just a toadstool to start)? Or do I need the Nitrite to come down before add them?

I recognize the Pods aren’t needed yet, but I like the idea of giving them a head start and beginning to add some diversity.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great plan, the pods will not be harmed whatsoever by any nitrite you detect. You recapped the utmost in 2021 cycling, all angles. Plus you’re at a reasonable start date for having paid for speedy cycle bac.

I have a sixteen page thread of full reefs started with positive nitrite, your plan there has been well-tested.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are always super useful! Make sure to use phyto also to help feed them. As for coral, I added 2 weeks in some zoas... then hammer, the some other testers. Just test and have a good routine for maintenence and stick to your plan. Once numbers are good let it rip!

reefermadness21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to jump in on this topic, I started my tank Oct 5, I just got my nitrifying bacteria in yesterday. This morning my ammonia is .5 ppm and nitrates are 15 ppm. Should I expect more of an ammonia increase? Is the the nitrate spike I want? Do I need to add more fish food? Copepods are coming next week along with chaeto

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no this will be easy to fix, the several days lead up with water but no bac still started bioslicks that certainly retain this dosed bacteria well.

simply add the bac and when the shipment gets in, filter it out for any waste don't add a bunch of clouding waste to a new tank, but add the animals for sure this will be controlled and cycled by then.

what your tests read right now doesn't matter, we're dealing in number of days timing which is a completely different way of predicting your cycle close date.

all these bottle bac carry fish the same day, you're not asking for much of a load with a cuc bag. the current feed added is enough to permanently support bacteria, no need to add more, algae challenges will be well enough soon without the extra boost. this tank is as good as cycled now, the bacteria will adhere very fast and the test kits will lag a long time, days, before reporting the actual changes digital kits would show. we have comparison threads that show massive lag time in api kits, for example. a cycle that was done per seneye recently in the chemistry forum we tracked out another extra ten days or so until api said it was ready.

simply hold course, add nothing and add the contents next week and then those contents will hypercycle it even more all set. no more testing required for this cycle. you specifically do not have to dose, and reach a certain level of ammonia to feed the bac.

what you've already fed is permanently enough feed for the full cycle. this mode replaces sharp peaks in ammonia with simple # of days underwater and the end ability is the same.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back