Tank Cycling - Dr. Tims - Fritz Turbo Start - Arag-Live

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am setting up a new 90 gallon tank using all dry rock and Arag-Live Sand. I see there are products that speed the cycle process substantially such as Fritz' Turbo Start and Dr. Tim's.

Can these products be used with Arag-Live Sand?

Do these products really work?

Which is the best/most common used right now?

Any information is much appreciated.

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Bio-Spira, CaribSea live sugar sand, and aqueous ammonia for a fishless cycle in our 20 gallon. By testing, it only took 2 weeks to cycle, but we kept cycling longer before adding the hermits and snails. Fish are still in QT, but if things like parasites/disease didn't exist on the planet, I would be comfortable adding them today.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tims this is how I cycle every single one of my tanks it's done fast and efficiently there are some however like some of the microbactors from brightness that they say not to add with live sand or Rock I think cuz of the live bacteria doesn't mix with it

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in or fish less ?

There is no speeding up a tank cycle.

Not unlike every other living thing here on earth there s a time period that takes place.
Beneficial Bacteria are not any different.
So from introduction of a bottled bacteria and the required food source, Ammonia or a dead shrimp it will be 14 to 21 days.

I prefer fishless cycling.
Any bottled bacteria will be fine with your sand.
I have found where people have failures is they do way to much.

Pic a product, add the proper amount of that product per directions.
Add Ammonia solution (Much better IMO) bring it up to 1.0 testing along the way until it gets there. Start the gestation clock of 14 days, and your done.

Keep the tank running as it will be ran when cycle is complete, minus the skimmer.
Keep flow heat and lighting.

From this point wait, test all you want but do nothing but add water as it evaporates to maintain salinity.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish in or fish less ?

There is no speeding up a tank cycle.

Not unlike every other living thing here on earth there s a time period that takes place.
Beneficial Bacteria are not any different.
So from introduction of a bottled bacteria and the required food source, Ammonia or a dead shrimp it will be 14 to 21 days.

I prefer fishless cycling.
Any bottled bacteria will be fine with your sand.
I have found where people have failures is they do way to much.

Pic a product, add the proper amount of that product per directions.
Add Ammonia solution (Much better IMO) bring it up to 1.0 testing along the way until it gets there. Start the gestation clock of 14 days, and your done.

Keep the tank running as it will be ran when cycle is complete, minus the skimmer.
Keep flow heat and lighting.

From this point wait, test all you want but do nothing but add water as it evaporates to maintain salinity.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information ..one question though regarding lights..heat and flow...should I already be running lights from day one of fishless cycle?..in my case, I am using dry rock..so I would think I would have an algae bloom?

Danielie39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@joe-ejs I would leave your lights off, no need to light it until you have something in the tank, plus it keeps your algae at bay. I would turn your heaters on and pumps to keep water moving. Take out any kind of filters and skimmers until the cycle is done.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information ..one question though regarding lights..heat and flow...should I already be running lights from day one of fishless cycle?..in my case, I am using dry rock..so I would think I would have an algae bloom?

Yes that's correct.
There are ways to handle the ugly stage when it happens and it has to happen.
This is all part of the tank maturing.
There should be some signs of algae growth by the ending of the cycle.
Chances are brown or green algae.
With the correct CUC (Clean up Crew) and first fish this can be managed but not avoided.
Every tank will have algae, it just another part of the eco system.
Start your research on algae control while your waiting on the tank cycle.
What fish and invertebrates you plan to start with.
You will need tools to clean the glass and rock, good time to research and pick up that equipment. as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back