Tank cycling with ATM colony

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s a 22 gal tank it’s been running for two weeks and I tested it yesterday the results where:
Ammonia : 0.5
Nitrite : 0 - 0.25
Nitrate: 0 - 0.25
I have added one dose of seachem stabilise last week but the tank unfortunately overheated right after adding it I’m going to add another dose of that in and half the amount of ATM colony needed for a tank my size if I do this will I be able to add one ocellaris Clown tomorrow ?
And if I add another clown further down the line will they be aggressive do I need to add them both at the same time or no ?

image.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a new tank unless you’ve added a shrimp or something I’m not sure were the 0.5 ammonia has come from

The idea with colony is you add it to the new tank and add fish straight away and it does an immediate cycle and it works very well

You could be ok doing what you suggest, or maybe wait a day or so to see if the ammonia drops before adding the fish

If it were me in a tank of that size I’d just start again

Fill
Heat up
Add ATM colony as per instructions
Add fish
Done

Ive just done it again in my ‘big tank’ with 5 large bottles and 30 fish on day one and it works if used correctly

As far as the fish, it depends on the individuals but you will probably be fine, but ideally add them together

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a new tank unless you’ve added a shrimp or something I’m not sure were the 0.5 ammonia has come from

The idea with colony is you add it to the new tank and add fish straight away and it does an immediate cycle and it works very well

You could be ok doing what you suggest, or maybe wait a day or so to see if the ammonia drops before adding the fish

If it were me in a tank of that size I’d just start again

Fill
Heat up
Add ATM colony as per instructions
Add fish
Done

Ive just done it again in my ‘big tank’ with 5 large bottles and 30 fish on day one and it works if used correctly

As far as the fish, it depends on the individuals but you will probably be fine, but ideally add them together
But I have seen on YouTube that you should wait for an ammonia reading before adding the colony though ? So are you saying I should completely empty the tank and start again or can I add the colony wait a day or so to see if ammonia drops then add fish ? Don’t you need fish for the colony to work ?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try adding the colony to see if it removes the ammonia

Colony is very simple to use, and hence if your having problems sometimes in a tank that size it’s easier to just do a restart rather than battling problems from the start

And yes you need fish for colony to work effectively. Just follow the instructions

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try adding the colony to see if it removes the ammonia

Colony is very simple to use, and hence if your having problems sometimes in a tank that size it’s easier to just do a restart rather than battling problems from the start

And yes you need fish for colony to work effectively. Just follow the instructions
Is it safe to add fish using the colony now or not ?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ammonia level really is 0.5ppm then I would say you need to get that down before adding any fish

Even simple water changes

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ammonia level really is 0.5ppm then I would say you need to get that down before adding any fish

Even simple water changes
Yes that is what I have decided to do thank you

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So it’s a 22 gal tank it’s been running for two weeks and I tested it yesterday the results where:
Ammonia : 0.5
Nitrite : 0 - 0.25
Nitrate: 0 - 0.25
I have added one dose of seachem stabilise last week but the tank unfortunately overheated right after adding it I’m going to add another dose of that in and half the amount of ATM colony needed for a tank my size if I do this will I be able to add one ocellaris Clown tomorrow ?
And if I add another clown further down the line will they be aggressive do I need to add them both at the same time or no ?

image.jpg
This will be heresy to some - but - the way those products work is (as per their instructions) - Add the product - and add fish. Otherwise - the bacteria in the product don't do anything. So - maybe - make up another complete batch of Saltwater - then - follow the instructions on the bottle - adding fish - and the product (I've never used ATM Colony - but I just looked up the directions) - Seachem Stability (I assume you're using this instead of 'stabilize' ) - I have used with many tanks - and no problems adding the first dose one day - and adding fish the next. I would think a small pair of clowns would not be a problem in that situation. I would not do that with an ammonia level of 0.5. Just my thoughts good luck what ever you decide.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be heresy to some - but - the way those products work is (as per their instructions) - Add the product - and add fish. Otherwise - the bacteria in the product don't do anything. So - maybe - make up another complete batch of Saltwater - then - follow the instructions on the bottle - adding fish - and the product (I've never used ATM Colony - but I just looked up the directions) - Seachem Stability (I assume you're using this instead of 'stabilize' ) - I have used with many tanks - and no problems adding the first dose one day - and adding fish the next. I would think a small pair of clowns would not be a problem in that situation. I would not do that with an ammonia level of 0.5. Just my thoughts good luck what ever you decide.
I think I am going to wait out the cycle now that it has started I would rather do that than risk using bacteria in a bottle even though I have added that aswell

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to wait out the cycle now that it has started I would rather do that than risk using bacteria in a bottle even though I have added that aswell
Does that sound like a good idea ?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you adding to 'feed' the bacteria now - I'm not exactly sure where you are?
Ok so I have gotten an ammonia resting of 0.5 ppm I have added 2 doses of seachem stability and half a bottle of colony 12gal and I have decided to wait for the nitrites to rise and fall then the nitrates do a 50% water change then add fish so is that a good idea ?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I just tested and got
Ammonia : 0.25 ppm (was 0.5ppm last time I tested )
Nitrite: 0-0.25ppm (last time I tested it was 0)
The cycle is almost done once the nitrites go down and nitrates come up does anyone know approximately how long this will take ?

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do a water change for a while. What do you mean by risk? Adding in bacteria is not risky at all. There is not way you can overdose bacteria. Did you add the fish food so the bacteria have something to eat and reproduce?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not do a water change for a while. What do you mean by risk? Adding in bacteria is not risky at all. There is not way you can overdose bacteria. Did you add the fish food so the bacteria have something to eat and reproduce?
If the nitrates are high surely I have to water change them out ? And no I didn’t add fish food because I already had an ammonia reading by risk I mean like if the bacteria doesn’t work and it bring down the high ammonia and nitrite

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nitrates are high surely I have to water change them out ? And no I didn’t add fish food because I already had an ammonia reading by risk I mean like if the bacteria doesn’t work and it bring down the high ammonia and nitrite
The bacteria will definitely work theres no way it would not. I would do a water change if the nitrates are really high. Also, did you add something else? Your ammonia is only at .25 which is odd because it should spike. Maybe there is not enough ammonia in the tank?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria will definitely work theres no way it would not. I would do a water change if the nitrates are really high. Also, did you add something else? Your ammonia is only at .25 which is odd because it should spike. Maybe there is not enough ammonia in the tank?
Last time I tested last week there was 0.5 ammonia and 0 nitrites I have only added to the tank two doses of stability and the half bottle of colony I don’t know what started the cycle my plan was to fill it up add full dose of colony then add fish day after but I didn’t have enough colony so I I tested the next week before I went to get more colony and the ammonia had started to rise

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back