Tuaregy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a question if i may.
I started to cycle my new saltwater tank 7 days ago and today i did some testing. Tests were done with salifert test kit.
NH3 0,15
NO2 0.10
NO3 100??
Is no3 normal for fresh cycle or am i doing something wrong? Tank is fishless atm.
Ty for answering.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R #WelcometoR2R

Let's have the Reefsquad take a look #reefsquad

My guess is that you're also curing new dry rock in your tank and what you are seeing with the high nitrate is the leaching of the nitrate from that rock. One time you can do 100% water changes.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

How are you cycling your new tank? Did you drop some food in the tank or did you use ammonia concentrate? It could also be nitrates coming from the new rock as well.

OP
OP
Tuaregy

Tuaregy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

How are you cycling your new tank? Did you drop some food in the tank or did you use ammonia concentrate? It could also be nitrates coming from the new rock as well.
I did use some pallet food to get amonia up.
I got my rock from store. They were in tank before but was taken out and dry ( so i was told). After speaking to some reefers here, they told me to just put them in and it will be ok. Not Shure about that now.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A warm welcome as well! I agree with the above assertions and assumptions. A bit more info on what rock you have been using and your cycling methodology would help.
Head on over to the Meet & Greet Forum and say hello!

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used dry rock, sand, ammonium chloride, and bottled bacteria, then yes this is normal. Levels will be higher or lower based on tank volume, water source, etc. When ammonia is zero, dose an additional 2ppm ammonia and when your tank can process 2ppm to zero in 24 hours, you are cycled. Then perform near 100% water change and add livestock gradually.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did use some pallet food to get amonia up.
I got my rock from store. They were in tank before but was taken out and dry ( so i was told). After speaking to some reefers here, they told me to just put them in and it will be ok. Not Shure about that now.
If the rock was removed from another system and then put in yours then it is probably the cause of the high nitrates. The rock is curing in your tank and thus releasing nitrates. If that is the case then you should be fine, just may take a little longer to cycle as the die off will raise the nitrates in the tank. I would start with some big water changes, the bigger the better, maybe 50 percent every other day depending on your tank size.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends on the size of the water changes you can do, if you have a RO/DI system then its easy to do 50 percent plus water changes. Like I said though, the bigger the better, but you will need to do a few to get the nitrates down.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, gangs already got u covered, can’t wait to see some pics.

here some additional help if needed

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice already given... sounds like you are progressing well through the cycle. Keep your lights and skimmer off... just in case you have them going. This is a good time to get your cuc in a quarantine tank if you plan on quarantining them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back