tank cylcing

JEDIHOGG77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

New to the saltwater reef hobby. I've always had freshwater before. Decided to try saltwater. Almost two weeks ago I set up a 29 gallon tank. My filtration is a cannister filter and I do have the filter pads in it. I put Seachum Stability in it for the first week per the instructions and also ghost feed it once a day and have continued to ghost feed since I stopped dosing with the stability. I tested yesterday and my levels were (according to the API test kit)

Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm

My question is do I keep ghost feeding once a day?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

New to the saltwater reef hobby. I've always had freshwater before. Decided to try saltwater. Almost two weeks ago I set up a 29 gallon tank. My filtration is a cannister filter and I do have the filter pads in it. I put Seachum Stability in it for the first week per the instructions and also ghost feed it once a day and have continued to ghost feed since I stopped dosing with the stability. I tested yesterday and my levels were (according to the API test kit)

Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 40 ppm

My question is do I keep ghost feeding once a day?
yes, you want stability

your ghost feeding is breaking down into ammonia but cycle doesn't seem complete given ammonia and nitrite not yet 0... nitrates are getting high, so you'll be due a water change as likely soon your nitrite to nitrate will catch up, and when both ammonia and nitrate get to 0 - cycle done

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need. You're probably cycled with the 40 ppm nitrate. Nitrites aren't toxic in saltwater. API never reads 0 ammonia (usually .5 ppm). Change the water to get nitrates down to <10 (or 5 ppm) and you're good.

As long as you're only adding a fish or two it should be fine for weeks without more ghost feeding. If you're delaying adding fish for longer than a few weeks, I may ghost feed (or add ammonia - it's cleaner - no phosphates) once a week but I may not. There's debates on this and very likely the bacteria will be sufficient after weeks or longer to add fish but I like keeping a good cycle.

Good luck!

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Quietman . Stop ghost feeding. I'd suggest a 20-40% water change, get that ammonia and nitrate down. Wait another few days, test values, probably safe to add fish if ammonia is at or near 0.

OP
OP
JEDIHOGG77

JEDIHOGG77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need. You're probably cycled with the 40 ppm nitrate. Nitrites aren't toxic in saltwater. API never reads 0 ammonia (usually .5 ppm). Change the water to get nitrates down to <10 (or 5 ppm) and you're good.

As long as you're only adding a fish or two it should be fine for weeks without more ghost feeding. If you're delaying adding fish for longer than a few weeks, I may ghost feed (or add ammonia - it's cleaner - no phosphates) once a week but I may not. There's debates on this and very likely the bacteria will be sufficient after weeks or longer to add fish but I like keeping a good cycle.

Good luck!
Thank you. That was what my gut was telling me but wanted to see what you all say just to see if I was right. The cycle is easier on freshwater.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back