Tank delivery fees from LFS, too much?

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to pull the trigger on a waterbox 7225 which I’m very excited about. My debate is do I buy it online directly from waterbox and have them drop the pallet off in my driveway and deal with the tank on my own. Or do I go support my LFS and then pay them to deliver and place the tank?

The LFS is asking $350 to deliver and setup the tank. Which is more than I was hoping to spend as the tank has stretched my budget. Is 350 a fair price for moving a 72in 500lb waterbox? I’d rather spend that money on another light or some tangs... But the piece of mind by having them deliver it is worth something.

What have you all spent ball park for your tank to get delivered?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question is, is $350 fair to move a tank, yet you initially said it was to deliver it AND set it up, those are two very different things.
Setup can take a good few hours and if two members of staff then that $350 doesn’t go far.
Down to you, do you really not want to set it up yourself? If not see if you can get the price down a bit.

or your other option is to get them to deliver it, which they should do for free and place it in the room of your choice, then set up yourself, so you don’t have the hassle of it on your door step, then you will need someone to help you set it up.

Saying all that, I would expect a smallish discount from my LFS if I bought from them, so if paying full price AND $350 for setup I think they are asking too much.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your question is, is $350 fair to move a tank, yet you initially said it was to deliver it AND set it up, those are two very different things.
Setup can take a good few hours and if two members of staff then that $350 doesn’t go far.
Down to you, do you really not want to set it up yourself? If not see if you can get the price down a bit.

or your other option is to get them to deliver it, which they should do for free and place it in the room of your choice, then set up yourself, so you don’t have the hassle of it on your door step, then you will need someone to help you set it up.

Saying all that, I would expect a smallish discount from my LFS if I bought from them, so if paying full price AND $350 for setup I think they are asking too much.
That’s a fair point on the setup vs delivery and not that you point it out I’m going to clarify with them what exactly that means. All I really want is it in my house. I’m OCD and don’t want anyone else to “setup” plumbing or wiring on the tank.
Thanks for helping realize my own confusion.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a fair point on the setup vs delivery and not that you point it out I’m going to clarify with them what exactly that means. All I really want is it in my house. I’m OCD and don’t want anyone else to “setup” plumbing or wiring on the tank.
Thanks for helping realize my own confusion.

I think a lot of LFS don’t like setting tanks up, it means getting more staff in or loosing staff from the shop for maybe half a day, so they price it to either put the customer off from asking for setup or price it so high that if they have to do it they make a fair bit on the job.

They may still ask for a delivery charge, I would stand your ground and expect it for free, especially if paying full price for the tank, some LFS will offer free delivery and a discount for buying, some try to charge, just push back a little as you can always buy online as you prefer to setup yourself anyway.

Upvote 0

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend enough at the LFS that they didn't charge me for delivery. they had maintenance customers near by so it wasn't a special trip. dropped off in the garage. me and my son muscled it down the stairs with a fridge dolly.

Upvote 0

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of LFS don’t like setting tanks up, it means getting more staff in or loosing staff from the shop for maybe half a day, so they price it to either put the customer off from asking for setup or price it so high that if they have to do it they make a fair bit on the job.

They may still ask for a delivery charge, I would stand your ground and expect it for free, especially if paying full price for the tank, some LFS will offer free delivery and a discount for buying, some try to charge, just push back a little as you can always buy online as you prefer to setup yourself anyway.
Theres also an insurance point to think about with them setting it up vs delivery alone. If they are the ones doing all the plumbing and electrical setup, if something goes wrong and something leaks or starts a fire, they are potentially responsible for that. whereas if they only drop it off and you set it up, they have no liability past making sure its in one pice when they drop it off.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres also an insurance point to think about with them setting it up vs delivery alone. If they are the ones doing all the plumbing and electrical setup, if something goes wrong and something leaks or starts a fire, they are potentially responsible for that. whereas if they only drop it off and you set it up, they have no liability past making sure its in one pice when they drop it off.

yes exactly, loads of other charges too, running a shop isn’t cheap, $350 sounds a lot but take wages out of that and a lost half a day from the shop, leaves maybe a $100 profit? doesn’t sound that great.

Upvote 0

spfahnestock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also ask this question. How far do you live from your LFS. If you are local (15-20 min) then I would think a small delivery fee would be justified. Counting fuel and employee pay into account.

I would also say that $350 to deliver an set up would be an acceptable fee to me. However, with that said they would have to plumb it to the way I want it. I remember seeing a post where someone paid to have their tank set up and it wasn't done in the manner they wanted.

There are many considerations when deciding to have someone set up a tank for you.

I will say I am not looking forward to muscling the 144 gallon half circle into my house from the garage when the time comes. I am honestly still working through how to do that without damaging it or the house in the process.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also ask this question. How far do you live from your LFS. If you are local (15-20 min) then I would think a small delivery fee would be justified. Counting fuel and employee pay into account.

I would also say that $350 to deliver an set up would be an acceptable fee to me. However, with that said they would have to plumb it to the way I want it. I remember seeing a post where someone paid to have their tank set up and it wasn't done in the manner they wanted.

There are many considerations when deciding to have someone set up a tank for you.

I will say I am not looking forward to muscling the 144 gallon half circle into my house from the garage when the time comes. I am honestly still working through how to do that without damaging it or the house in the process.

yeah good point, I think I remember the thread you are referring too, they paid a lot of money and got a cheap pumbing job for it...always pin down what you are getting for the money and pay after it’s done.

Upvote 0

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went through this with a 72" prostar. I did not have the option of a LFS, as I bought on-line. Freight dropped if off and I had to either wrangle a group of friends or use movers. I was surprised at the moving quotes I received. Was about close to 350 on low end and either they would not move a tank due to liability, or the number was from 6 to 8 hundred on high end. They always stated 2 hours minimum limit and 3 to 4 guys do to akward shape vs weight. $350 is reasonable for a move from what I saw, from movers anyways in Florida. Unless your LFS had it included in selling fee. Stinks, as it was an extra unexpected cost.

Upvote 0

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im paying $500 for my LFS to deliver my tank. Will take 3 vans and 8 men to bring in tank, stand, and canopy. This is far easier than having a delivery truck drop it off in my driveway or try to pick it up and transport it from a loading dock near the airport by myself.

Happy Thanksgiving

Upvote 0

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local reef clubs will sometimes help to move it to. My local reef club has a place on our forums to ask for help. Gives us Fish Nerds the chance to get together and talk tanks. A little cold beer and pizza or wings helps to. When we need a big tank moved we put the word out and they come from all over...

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went through this with a 72" prostar. I did not have the option of a LFS, as I bought on-line. Freight dropped if off and I had to either wrangle a group of friends or use movers. I was surprised at the moving quotes I received. Was about close to 350 on low end and either they would not move a tank due to liability, or the number was from 6 to 8 hundred on high end. They always stated 2 hours minimum limit and 3 to 4 guys do to akward shape vs weight. $350 is reasonable for a move from what I saw, from movers anyways in Florida. Unless your LFS had it included in selling fee. Stinks, as it was an extra unexpected cost.

think I would pay it, or ask for the basic setup, tank on stand and me doing the pumbing.

Upvote 0

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
think I would pay it, or ask for the basic setup, tank on stand and me doing the pumbing.
In the end, it was worth it to me and I was very happy with the movers work,. Very friendly and did a good job. I was just surprised at cost, as I'd never priced something like that before. but it made sense when I thought about it. They had to amount for travel to and from and cover there liability to make it worth there time as a buisness.

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end, it was worth it to me and I was very happy with the movers work,. Very friendly and did a good job. I was just surprised at cost, as I'd never priced something like that before. but it made sense when I thought about it. They had to amount for travel to and from and cover there liability to make it worth there time as a buisness.
Ryan from BRS was quoted over $5k I think it was o_O

Upvote 0

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 is inline with what my LFS have charged. Some do it hourly some of the others are flat fee. The other thing I think about, if they drop it while setting it, you should end up with a "free" replacement tank. If you drop it while setting it, or scratch the glass, or hurt your back/knees...is $350 worth the insurance or even assurance?

Upvote 0
Back