Tank delivery fees from LFS, too much?

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to pull the trigger on a waterbox 7225 which I’m very excited about. My debate is do I buy it online directly from waterbox and have them drop the pallet off in my driveway and deal with the tank on my own. Or do I go support my LFS and then pay them to deliver and place the tank?

The LFS is asking $350 to deliver and setup the tank. Which is more than I was hoping to spend as the tank has stretched my budget. Is 350 a fair price for moving a 72in 500lb waterbox? I’d rather spend that money on another light or some tangs... But the piece of mind by having them deliver it is worth something.

What have you all spent ball park for your tank to get delivered?

Shorebreak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ryan from BRS was quoted over $5k I think it was o_O
Oh WOW! That would be a tough pill to swallow. Wonder if he had some tight turns and flights of stairs. It was interesting, some movers flat out don't move aquariums. Guess the risk vs reward isn't always there.

Upvote 0

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember, if you buy it from waterbox direct, they drop it in your driveway. You have to move it into your house/ garage. Then assemble the stand, then move the tank k to the stand. It will take 4 people to pick up the tank, or 2 very strong people. So you have 2 trips of 4 people.
I had mine shipped direct from waterbox. I had workers at my house so moving it wasn't an issue, but if I had to pay someone to move it twice, it would probably be more than 350

Upvote 0

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank from glasscages was 800 lbs... I had to unload it from the back of my truck. Took 5 people just to budge it. However I had it all planned out. Equipment I used was a QuickJack, Hydraulic table from Harbor Freight and some wheel dollies.. At one point the hydraulic table may have been on top of the QuickJack to help raise it high enough to get it on the stand. Some real sketchy stuff. Long story short, if we made a wrong move, it was ALOT of money down the drain. I would pay the 350 for the assurance of knowing it was going to be put on the stand and not have to worry about breaking it. Either way you go, as long as it goes well, it will be pure satisfaction in the end!

Upvote 0

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres also an insurance point to think about with them setting it up vs delivery alone. If they are the ones doing all the plumbing and electrical setup, if something goes wrong and something leaks or starts a fire, they are potentially responsible for that. whereas if they only drop it off and you set it up, they have no liability past making sure its in one pice when they drop it off.
This alone is worth the price

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh WOW! That would be a tough pill to swallow. Wonder if he had some tight turns and flights of stairs. It was interesting, some movers flat out don't move aquariums. Guess the risk vs reward isn't always there.
A huge tank, and a big slope to go down, was in his basement, he said that quote was hard to get most wouldn’t even quote him.

here is the video go to 31mins.

Upvote 0

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your delivery quote for dropping in driveway. Some delivery fees charge extra to get a carrier with a lift gate. Clarify setup fees with LFS, maybe setup is just stand and aquarium on stand. I think that would be a reasonable 350....or some friends, and have some beer and a cookout AFTER the tank is in.

Upvote 0

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember, if you buy it from waterbox direct, they drop it in your driveway. You have to move it into your house/ garage. Then assemble the stand, then move the tank k to the stand. It will take 4 people to pick up the tank, or 2 very strong people. So you have 2 trips of 4 people.
I had mine shipped direct from waterbox. I had workers at my house so moving it wasn't an issue, but if I had to pay someone to move it twice, it would probably be more than 350
Mine was delivered into my garage, no extra charge. They don't just drop it in the driveway. Depends on the transport company. Most cooperate. The biggest effort was assembling the stand. With suction cups and a couple of men it was not difficult to move tank.

Upvote 0

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you were going to spend the money on a light or a few tangs, roll that into the deal.

"Instead of +$350 for delivery/ setup, how about we do +$600 and I get this light and those two tangs"

Upvote 0

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think $350 is reasonable for delivery AND set up. There is also an added liability if you and beer drinking friend screw up bringing it in (both the tank and your house walls/floors/doors etc) vs the lfs and if it comes in flawed should be much less of a hassle through your lfs. If you have the ability to set it up I'd try to negotiate just getting it in the house. Much easier tracking down and resolving set up issues when the person who set it up is the one fixing those issue. I'd see if they could deliver without the set up for half that price. Given the expense of the item you are buying from them and potential future business they should be very negotiable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MJV15

MJV15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 is inline with what my LFS have charged. Some do it hourly some of the others are flat fee. The other thing I think about, if they drop it while setting it, you should end up with a "free" replacement tank. If you drop it while setting it, or scratch the glass, or hurt your back/knees...is $350 worth the insurance or even assurance?
That is a good point! If I jack it up bringing it in, it’s my dime. If they damage it, it’s there responsibility to replace it or fix. 350 is starting to sound much better

Upvote 0

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point! If I jack it up bringing it in, it’s my dime. If they damage it, it’s there responsibility to replace it or fix. 350 is starting to sound much better

l forgot the size....yep for that size tank I would gladly pay the $350, just check it’s for hard plumbing.

For that tank I would think there is some room for a discount too or a couple of pieces of equipment.

Upvote 0

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
l forgot the size....yep for that size tank I would gladly pay the $350, just check it’s for hard plumbing.

For that tank I would think there is some room for a discount too or a couple of pieces of equipment.

It comes with the plumbing. Stand will take a few hours to assemble. Simple but a few hours.

Upvote 0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d gladly pay $350 for them to deliver it and set it up with me finishing the plumbing. If anything is chipped, looks broken, etc it’s easier to discuss right there. Plus I’d rather give the LFS some $$$

Upvote 0

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a ripoff to me. I recently purchased a Pro Star 230. 6 foot rimless tank on 3/4 inch glass.

It was delivered to my garage. Then I called some local mover companies and they came out the next day and moved the tank from my garage into the living room. They moved the stand first, then moved the DT and placed it on the stand for me as I needed.

It cost me like $125 IIRC. And they were insured so if they dropped it or messed it up, they were responsible. It only took 3 people with a dolly.

They didn't hook the plumbing up, but that was easy and took about 5 minutes since it came with the pipes already done, other than screwing them into the bulkheads.

I didn't have to put a stand together or anything. The prostar tanks ship with aluminum stands prebuilt.

Upvote 0

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to pull the trigger on a waterbox 7225 which I’m very excited about. My debate is do I buy it online directly from waterbox and have them drop the pallet off in my driveway and deal with the tank on my own. Or do I go support my LFS and then pay them to deliver and place the tank?

The LFS is asking $350 to deliver and setup the tank. Which is more than I was hoping to spend as the tank has stretched my budget. Is 350 a fair price for moving a 72in 500lb waterbox? I’d rather spend that money on another light or some tangs... But the piece of mind by having them deliver it is worth something.

What have you all spent ball park for your tank to get delivered?

My LFS charged me $300 to deliver my 7ft x 2ft. They came in 2 trucks and had 6 guys. Extremely worth it plus they are accustomed to moving tanks and had the suction cups and height adjustable dolly.

I didn’t want to inconvenience my neighbors by asking them to help or call multiple moving companies and be told....no we don’t handle glass tanks.

Upvote 0

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea drop shipped my 240 gallon at my house no charge. LFS that I bought it from assembled the stand and lifted the tank included at the Red Sea advertised web site price. I also got discounts for buying waves, lights and skimmer at the same time. Took 2 people 6 hours to assemble the stand. 4 people 1 hour to get the tank in and up and then another 2 hours the next day for the sump and plumbing. 18 hours labor total. And he hauled off the crate!

I thought that was a good deal. Now the tank did cost a small fortune so hopefully he made some money.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back