• No Difference

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

shinypenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at a few tanks. Would appreciate feedback on what would be best for the tank inhabitants.

Comparing Innovative Marine 30 (36 x 11 x 13) and 40 (24 x 20 x 19). Long versus Cube.

I like the look of the cube and the additional aquascaping options a tall tank brings (last tank was a 3' 65 gallon). However I'm concerned that a tax with a max side length of 24 inches makes it really tough to get line of sight breaks and to section off different areas with rockwork to minimize aggression. Long thin tanks appear easier for this.

Inhabitants of the tank not set in stone yet, but likely to include a pair of clownfish (percula or ocellaris). Do you think the tank dimensions (from the above options) would make a difference in minimizing aggression?

I'm also open to suggested tankmates for a clown pair in this size tank. I guess most would go the Goby/Royal Gramma/Blenny/single chromis but I'd love to be able to do firefish/cardinals if aggression allows. I can't see any angel or wrasse being happy in that small a tank but other suggestions welcome. Reef safe is preferable.

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well to R2R!

Is this going to be a fish only tank or a reef tank? If a reef tank then I think the long tank is going to make aquascaping very difficult. Regarding aggression I think your idea of line of sight breaks a long tank would offer is valid. However, I don't think the concern is worth changing the tank for. Two ocellaris clowns will be fine together as long as you get a pair or at least pick one that is larger (female) than the other (male). I have a pair and it's fine. I am not familiar with perculas. If you pick two fish that are going to be aggressive to each other (like two of most fish species) I don't think either tank would be good. It would need to be much much bigger. Tankmates for clowns? I have 2 ocellaris, 1 yellow tang, 1 coral beauty, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 diamond goby, 2 firefish, 1 six line wrasse, 3 banggai cardinals. 1 royal gramma. They all get along fine with each other except the cardinals. 1 badgers the other 2. The six line chased the royal gramma a bit at first but they quickly reached a stalemate and are fine. My tank is 36"x15"x24"

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the cube. It will fine for a mated pair of clowns. They will pick a spot and pretty much keep to that area. Nano fish would be a good choice for tank mates. As long as you have places for them to hide in the rock work they should feel comfortable.

oh and howdy

OP
OP
S

shinypenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 ocellaris, 1 yellow tang, 1 coral beauty, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 diamond goby, 2 firefish, 1 six line wrasse, 3 banggai cardinals. 1 royal gramma. They all get along fine with each other except the cardinals. 1 badgers the other 2. The six line chased the royal gramma a bit at first but they quickly reached a stalemate and are fine. My tank is 36"x15"x24"

How long have they been together? Are any mature yet? Is the tang going to be a long term resident in that tank?

I'm probably going with a lighter stocking load on my tank to make things as simple as possible as it'll be my first reef. Maybe just a clown pair and 2-4 other smallish fish in 40 gallons.

OP
OP
S

shinypenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with the cube. It will fine for a mated pair of clowns. They will pick a spot and pretty much keep to that area. Nano fish would be a good choice for tank mates.

Any suggestions for tank mates willing to hang out in the water column? I'm pretty good on goby/blenny/firefish options.

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been together? Are any mature yet? Is the tang going to be a long term resident in that tank?

I'm probably going with a lighter stocking load on my tank to make things as simple as possible as it'll be my first reef. Maybe just a clown pair and 2-4 other smallish fish in 40 gallons.
Some have been together for years (tang, clowns, cardinals wrasses...). The goby and blenny were the latest additions. Added in the last few months.

The firefish, dominate cardinal, angel and tang hang out in the water column. The wrasse swims in and out of the rocks constantly. The royal gramma has a couple of hideaways its spends most of its time in.

Back