Tank Emergency; Not sure as it might be too late

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:( ... Not sure if a total tank nuke is still a emergency as I’m not sure if it can be fixed...
I was calibrating a dosing pump to try peroxide for a major algae outbreak... After I hooked it up I never went back to the controller to put it in auto: I left ALL the dosers running for 6 hours: thats Alk, Cal, Part C AND 35% peroxide .... Any hope? Not sure water changes will fix it...any suggestions: see pics

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to do a larger water change with the hope of getting a good portion out. Not really sure how to help. What kind of livestock and corals you have?

btw I have 2 BRS dosers, but never set them up and used them for this same exact reason. Sorry man.

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t say what the final alkalinity is, but I would suggest a very large water change is in order

Just checked 8.9 (normal) but the water is darn cloudy
I would try to do a larger water change with the hope of getting a good portion out. Not really sure how to help. What kind of livestock and corals you have?

btw I have 2 BRS dosers, but never set them up and used them for this same exact reason. Sorry man.
Edit: Yeah I got only 25G made up and another 50G RO I can mixup, but thats only 75G or about 1/4 total...just wondering if I’ll need that water for the coming/expected die off tommorow
This is total human error and a example why no matter how automated you get, you can still screw up....
I’m sorry, but ya’ll know you can get attached, esp to older clams

Tank is mixed Sps, LPS, some polyps, et.
All shrimp are dead and LPS are slimly/snotty ...clams withdrawn ....trying again to post pics 61E89827-CF9A-4EC9-A807-7E4AF45AA81D.jpeg 7618E808-6A37-4D89-9797-A8E053664B0A.jpeg C9A37231-5658-4391-9E5F-8089FC28BB60.jpeg

Attachments

• DF238B9F-DC68-42C7-BC00-568F96E5B3F2.MOV
    33.2 MB
Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to learn of this. I butt dialed a liter of ALK and Ca once. While it was a precipitation mess, but there were no casualties.

It is the H2O2 that is the problem. Aeration. Remove casualties quick. Carbon. WC.
Check your ammonia level. If measurable, what do people think about dosing Prime to reduce toxicity?

Ask your LFS if he can drive some new SW over.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the water change with what you have, then get more running. I would say it is your best bet. I think adding any more to the mix is just not a good solution. You could lose some sps and maybe the clams (if you have them) from the spike, but I hope most pulls through for you.
Dilute, dilute, dilute. Maybe a friend or fellow reefer will have water made up (at least ro/di for you to get mixing).

OP
OP
Doctorgori

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gheez its hard watching a big reef slowly die: Blue tang has “burn marks”? Or discoloration on its sides, fish are inactive, Nowhere to put my sps as theve encrusted on big rocks...heck 1/2 my sps are totally bleached, LPS are snot balls....
....maybe thousands $$$ in corals are not totally smoked :mad: .... appologies, have to externalize and vent

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have much experience in the way of reefs, so I don't know if any of my suggestions/thoughts are feasible/good ideas, but.

Instead of using your new water in the tank, set up bins, filling with tank water and using the new mix to get the ratios right or what have you. Move as much livestock as possible into said bins. Heaters, powerheads, lights, as by the sounds of it, you'll have your hands full for a while removing dead critters and diluting water.

You say some of your sps are crusted to big rocks, is it possible to frag off a chunk to try and save? I mean if they're toast anyways?

Again, just spitballing here, so I wouldn't be surprised if those were stupid butt suggestions.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not stupid. Just mentioned the larger rocks will be difficult. From experience with a larger system, the corals can fuse rocks together and make it virtually impossible to remove them without destroying them anyway. This is how I lost all my montis. Rocks just too big to remove.
I would totally do what you mentioned in a smaller system.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, thanks. :)
Possibly could do something similar to at least get the fish out of the water. Much easier to remove than boulders.

But could one in a bind such as this just take a small frag off the sps, assuming it was still alive, to regrow later if the main coral ends up dying? Or would that not work as the corals are already stressed/time better spent doing water changes, etc? Maybe I'm not understanding how sps crust over rocks?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear, thanks. :)
Possibly could do something similar to at least get the fish out of the water. Much easier to remove than boulders.

But could one in a bind such as this just take a small frag off the sps, assuming it was still alive, to regrow later if the main coral ends up dying? Or would that not work as the corals are already stressed/time better spent doing water changes, etc? Maybe I'm not understanding how sps crust over rocks?
Not a bad idea.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back