**TANK EMERGENCY** Please help ID this!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
calm down ,relax ..help will come w what med and how much,you will need to remove all inverts,lions and carbon ,if treating display tank,

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
would suggest freshwater bath for them,will help,for the moment,how is their breathing ,extra air into tank cannot hurt ,point return or jet at surface,or add air into tank

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no leave temp be until advised,but match temp in fw bath

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 76 degrees. Should I also try turning up the temp? Their breathing is fine, theyre all acting normal. It's the sudden spots all over them is the only sign.
Hey here is my input:
Ur tank looks pretty young for a blue jaw trigger and a tang. But anyway. So a FW dip wont do anything other than give the fish a small relief; it removes some of the velvet from their gills. But to kill it 100% you will need to set up a QT. Treat it with Copper Power @ 2.0 ( make sure your fish are okay with copper. Tangs triggers are ok) for 20-30 days. Also keep the temp. at 78 don't go higher that does not help in saltwater. Then you will need to keep your DT fallow (no fish, only snails, crabs and shrimps and coral) for 6-7 weeks. During that time shadow feed ur DT to keep ur beneficial bacteria alive. I know its a long process but its worth it. patience is key in this hobby. Also you need act ASAPP. One more thing make sure you feed them lots and lots of nori. And socked their frozen /pellet food in garlic - in my experience that boosts the fish immune system but that alone wont do anything.

Noob_Sam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND NEVER TREAT YOUR DT with copper!!! You have live rock in there. That's going to absorb the copper and over time it will resale it in toxic amounts and WILL kill ur livestock!!!!!

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s definitely Velvet and possibly ich as well mixed with bacterial infections starting. Would definitely do a 5 min FW bath to start. A 90 min bath in Ruby Reef Rally after then straight to copper in a QT tank. That’s kinda of your best option without tainting your DT as it should never have medications dosed into it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is positively velvet
Must be treated ASAP. At or Rubbermaid tub a must
My best success with velvet cure was polyp Lab MEDIC. Worked very well

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 76 degrees. Should I also try turning up the temp? Their breathing is fine, theyre all acting normal. It's the sudden spots all over them is the only sign.

If their breathing is fine, they do not have velvet. They do not have Brooklynella, this is a severe case of Cryptocaryon, - Ich. PM sent.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Velvet has a lifecycle similar to that of Cryptocaryon irritans (ich). Even the terminology used is mostly the same – except velvet “free swimmers” are referred to as dinospores instead of theronts.
As opposed to crypto, velvet’s lifecycle is typically faster (completed in 4 days on average), and the attacking free swimmers are more numerous than ich. Also, velvet dinospores can remain infective for up to 15 days, whereas with ich theronts it’s only 48 hours. This is because velvet tomonts and dinospores are both capable of using photosynthesis as a means of obtaining nutrients remembering it is a dinoflagellate
I question how long this has been visible as this couldn’t have happened overnight.

@Jay Hemdal - would crypto have formed this quickly?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a display you must use a copper test to determine proper dosage. The rocks and substrate will absorb and I have dosed as much as twice the recommended dose to achieve thearaputic levels. If you run less than thearaputic levels you will make things worse as when you remove the copper, the disease will rebound with vengence. Test, test, test.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet has a lifecycle similar to that of Cryptocaryon irritans (ich). Even the terminology used is mostly the same – except velvet “free swimmers” are referred to as dinospores instead of theronts.
As opposed to crypto, velvet’s lifecycle is typically faster (completed in 4 days on average), and the attacking free swimmers are more numerous than ich. Also, velvet dinospores can remain infective for up to 15 days, whereas with ich theronts it’s only 48 hours. This is because velvet tomonts and dinospores are both capable of using photosynthesis as a means of obtaining nutrients remembering it is a dinoflagellate
I question how long this has been visible as this couldn’t have happened overnight.

@Jay Hemdal - would crypto have formed this quickly?

I think what happened was that the early signs of ich were missed, and then once the tomites swarmed back in huge numbers, it was easier to see. Again, velvet would have rapid breathing and they reported the fish to be breathing normally. Rapid breathing with velvet is the first and sometimes only symptom seen. In going through some images here, I see a number of pictures of fish reported to have velvet that actually had ich. Of course, a skin scrape and microscope is the only way to be certain, but I have not had a single case of velvet in my systems, hundreds of shipments, thousands of fish, in the past five years, but many cases of Cryptocaryon!

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trigger, Tang, and Puffer all have it terribly... The lions are being removed now.

When I say lions in optimum health are usually very resistant to protozoan type disease I am talking about being fed live foods. The gut flora of live fish especially has a positive effect on the immune system. I suggess live guppies and/or appropriate sized mollies, and gut loaded ghost shrimp. Keep water conditions pristine.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back