Tank failure / wave maker ?

U4ia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my little gankpike 12 gallon tank a almost 2 months ago and have been really patient getting everything going and only added some nassarius snails and blue leg hermit crabs a couple weeks back. Water and everything was still testing good(had the benefit of gifted live rock from a healthy tank to start). Looked at the tank this am and noticed the seal(?) on the wall dividing the tank from the filtration area failed. I had placed a mini wave maker on that wall so I'm guessing this may have been the cause of the failure. My question is this a design flaw of this tank or is it a bad idea to put the wave maker on that wall? I'm thinking the buy cheap but twice adage applies here but I don't want to repeat the mistake with a new tank(considering a fluval 13 gall)

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be a fairly common occurrence with these tanks, cheap seals and materials. Glass was most likely never meant to be weight bearing. Cannot go wrong with the fluval evo 13.5. perfect little tank, and tons of upgrades you can do to it.

Djordan719

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve put wavemakers on the same location (not the same brand tank though).

Typically I will re-seal tanks as a safety precaution before use.

1658934506927.gif

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back