Tank In Trouble

DreamingInCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in need of advice. I have a 20 gal Red Sea Max Nano that’s been up and running about 2 months. I started to battle algae, green and some cyano maybe? I reduced my white light hours to just 5 at 60% and have the blues running for 10 hours at a range of %. My parameters are looking a little low I think because I did a few small water changes to help with the cyano after I would scrub the tank. But yesterday I noticed my usually happy flame hawk was not eating and had some white stripes of color loss on him. Also looking more around the tank I noticed a few dead hermit crabs and this morning I noticed my emerald crab was dead. The flame hawk is my only fish and the emerald crab the only one expect the hermits. I also have 3 sexy shrimp in there that are doing just fine and I’ve had them for about 4 weeks. The only other creature are snails and about 15 coral frags that seem to be ok. What could be going on?!? And what should I do?!? Pictures below are of the hawk and the tank without blue light and in need of cleaning the glass that is covered in algae growth.

C1193487-D690-495D-B4C8-0A5A9B97021B.jpeg 37D9CD21-7524-4BB2-8345-7EBFE5D650C8.jpeg D0A4F004-6288-4A7E-BFF7-CF81A3CB7898.jpeg

Fernthereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 month old tanks is still early. It is normal to have algae early on. Playing too much in your tank during that period is when things can go wrong.

You have to prioritize the health of your fish: What is the salinity, pH and temperature of the tank right now.

Prepare for a 30% water change (at the right sal. and temperature). If you have carbon, put it in (cyano).

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inverts could be dying because of the hawk fish. Post the most recent results you have for tank parameters or check them now if you haven’t for a few days to a week. Also are you using rodi water? Are you double checking the salinity of the tank and the water change water before putting it in? If everything was normal but the cyano and stuff started going downhill after those water changes I would start with those as the culprit and work from there but parameters will be key for any real help. Calibrate your refractometer as well.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with fernthereefer, thats a lot going on for a 2 month old tank. Bacteria's and stuff in the water are all fighting for dominance, and the system goes through a lot of changes in the first few months. i would stop adding things for a month or two, let things balance themselves out in the tank, and keep up weekly water changes. It really requires patience

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back