Tank is set up, pretty much "cycled"

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new tank with old live rock and I have it set up, fish have added some coral are added, Water parameters are perfect and I also have a sump where it holds the lives rock, chaeto, and all the equipment. Should I add sand to the fuge? Is it okay to add sand to the fuge while I have all this? Or should I add sand? In hindsight, I should have thought of doing this.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a new tank with old live rock and I have it set up, fish have added some coral are added, Water parameters are perfect and I also have a sump where it holds the lives rock, chaeto, and all the equipment. Should I add sand to the fuge? Is it okay to add sand to the fuge while I have all this? Or should I add sand? In hindsight, I should have thought of doing this.
Do you have sand in your DT? If so, I would say it is unnecessary unless you are lacking in bio filtration capacity. I have no sand in my DT and minimal amount of MM in my fuge.

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have sand in your DT? If so, I would say it is unnecessary unless you are lacking in bio filtration capacity. I have no sand in my DT and minimal amount of MM in my fuge.
I have about 1-1.5 in the DT, Not sure I read a few articles thats its good, maybe for the CUC? I have a few snails down there.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 1-1.5 in the DT, Not sure I read a few articles thats its good, maybe for the CUC? I have a few snails down there.
You have snails in the sump? Surely they would serve a better purpose in the display keeping algae at bay! There are plenty of products out there that are purpose made for housing bacteria in a sump, which is effectively what a sandbed would do in there

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have snails in the sump? Surely they would serve a better purpose in the display keeping algae at bay! There are plenty of products out there that are purpose made for housing bacteria in a sump, which is effectively what a sandbed would do in there
I mean sand in a fuge can act as a DSB for nutrient control...so it plays a very different role than sand in the high flow of a display tank...

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean sand in a fuge can act as a DSB for nutrient control...so it plays a very different role than sand in the high flow of a display tank...
Agreed DSB do have their benefits, however they also come with a huge risk imo. Disturbing one can release a whole host of nasties. Personally I'd play it safe and go with other media in the sump just to make sure I wasn't putting myself in the position where I could crash the set up by accidentally disturbing a chunk of the DSB

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed DSB do have their benefits, however they also come with a huge risk imo. Disturbing one can release a whole host of nasties. Personally I'd play it safe and go with other media in the sump just to make sure I wasn't putting myself in the position where I could crash the set up by accidentally disturbing a chunk of the DSB
Yea I was mainly pointing out that a DSB has VERY different benefits than sand in the DT

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I was mainly pointing out that a DSB has VERY different benefits than sand in the DT
Oh I totally agree on that! I was thinking from your original comment that you were putting it in there for the comfort of the snails and for an area for bacteria to host

Mike27t

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on alternatives to sand in the sump? I read other media for maintaining bacteria, but didnt read any examples.

TIA

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some detritus from my old live rock so I added some snails to hopefully clean it up so I don't have to buy a vac. ill move them later.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back