Tank is uneven

Austin J Vatalaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed the otherday my 42g rimless if about 1/4 off from my left and right. Should I be worried and is there something I should be doing if its crucial to fix

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would drain some water and try and shim under the stand to try and level it. Un level tanks cause uneven pressure points in the tank seams and could potentially bust.

Edit: I meant under the stand and not tank! Never under the actually tank!

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to hear what others think, but I think you should put a level on the Tank, stand and the floor, if all three drop the same 1/4”, nothing to worry about, it’s just the floor. If just the tank and stand are off, the stand is torqued. The big issue is if the stand is level, but not the tank, that puts a lot of stress on the tank.
Jay

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being rimless I think would make it more a concern but it is a smaller tank you could get a couple packs of composite shims and raise up the stand and slide the shims on the corners and then you’ll want to put one in centers front and back on the length side of stand as well to stop any bowing

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drain some water and try and shim under the tank to try and level it. Un level tanks cause uneven pressure points in the tank seams and could potentially bust.
Yep, this is what I would do. Maybe shim under the stand if you can.

OP
OP
A

Austin J Vatalaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to hear what others think, but I think you should put a level on the Tank, stand and the floor, if all three drop the same 1/4”, nothing to worry about, it’s just the floor. If just the tank and stand are off, the stand is torqued. The big issue is if the stand is level, but not the tank, that puts a lot of stress on the tank.
Jay
It is an older house so I am assuming it is the floor, it is also carpeted so that doesn't help :/

OP
OP
A

Austin J Vatalaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being rimless I think would make it more a concern but it is a smaller tank you could get a couple packs of composite shims and raise up the stand and slide the shims on the corners and then you’ll want to put one in centers front and back on the length side of stand as well to stop any bowing
I couldn't just put shims on the corner that is lower or will that cause stress on the stand?

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't just put shims on the corner that is lower or will that cause stress on the stand?
If it just one corner that’s off shim that corner the throw a shim in the centers it helps evenly distribute the weight I doubt with a smaller tank and stand like that would bow but it’s just precautionary measures. If the stand starts bowing then the tank will also bow

ashiWaza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, put a shim in. I noticed my tank was about 1/8th off, and it wasnt noticeable to the eye but it drove me insane knowing the truth after I measured it lol. I didnt even have to drain anything, and I have a 35 gal. I just lifted as much as I could with 1 hand, and the shim went right under. Then I just hammered it in until level, and broke it off. Super easy fix.

howme127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a 42g DT only? or do you have a sump as well? 42g of saltwater, max, would only be 378lbs. I would hope, even in an older home you could support 378lbs plus cabinet... say 450lbs being generous could be as high as 500 with sand, rock, equipment, and etc.. I'm running into ill-fitting/wrong use of leveling feet hardware with my current tank setup. I've not even tried to fill it yet due to obvious reasons, but my interest is spiked in these tanks "settling". I could be on to nothing, but just curious.

OP
OP
A

Austin J Vatalaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a 42g DT only? or do you have a sump as well? 42g of saltwater, max, would only be 378lbs. I would hope, even in an older home you could support 378lbs plus cabinet... say 450lbs being generous could be as high as 500 with sand, rock, equipment, and etc.. I'm running into ill-fitting/wrong use of leveling feet hardware with my current tank setup. I've not even tried to fill it yet due to obvious reasons, but my interest is spiked in these tanks "settling". I could be on to nothing, but just curious.
Running 42g filterless, protienskimmerless, and sumpless. Old-school with just alot of live rock. Probably around 60-80 pounds

OP
OP
A

Austin J Vatalaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, put a shim in. I noticed my tank was about 1/8th off, and it wasnt noticeable to the eye but it drove me insane knowing the truth after I measured it lol. I didnt even have to drain anything, and I have a 35 gal. I just lifted as much as I could with 1 hand, and the shim went right under. Then I just hammered it in until level, and broke it off. Super easy fix.
Right under the side it was off or in the middle aswell? I guess my only concern is if I do shim it which I will be doing is my stands strength and not getting it to bow. It is a homemade stand with 2x4s a little overboard for security haha

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an older house so I am assuming it is the floor, it is also carpeted so that doesn't help :/
I once kept a 90 gallon in a 80 year old house. A pen would roll, unaided, in various directions depending on where you placed it on the living room floor. I ended up reinforcing the floor beneath the tank for my own peace of mind.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As tankd tend to shift a little, I would attack the issue now before 1/4” becomes 1/2” and you’ve added more livestock which needs to be removed due to a further change

Back