Tank leveling on stand

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished building my stand and set my tank on it and the tank isn't sitting completely level on the top of the stand. The tank is a 81g 36"*24" rimless. I checked the top of the stand and that is level and when I put some weight on the tank it levels it as well. There is also a leveling mat under the tank. I tried to get the best pic I could. I'm not sure if when I add water it will all settle or if there is something else I should do first.
IMG_20200330_114603.jpg
IMG_20200330_125742~2.jpg

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put a shim under that plywood sheet? It being on the corner is what would concern me

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only problem is it's going where my current tank is now so I have to move everything out of my current tank and then move the new tank in place and level it there. It does seem to go away when putting weight on it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run a level across the length and width at the edges of the stand to see if it's flat? No humps. From the picture, it's definitely too much deflection. The stand is racked. This condition may correct itself once water is in the tank, but looks like at least 1/4" gap and may place a great deal of stress on the seams of the tank.

You might have to redo some of the stand to correct this condition.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a rotary laser level to confirm my tank or stand is level and on the same plane. In case your not familiar with the laser I’ll give a brief summery. The laser light spins level. You can check all points on the top of your stand to verify the corners, middle and any other point are at the proper level. Just set the rotary laser at the height of the stand, or just a bit higher. Use a ruler or tape measure to measure the difference between the laser light and the stand top. You can rent one at Home Depot. I hope this helps.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run a level across the length and width at the edges of the stand to see if it's flat? No humps. From the picture, it's definitely too much deflection. The stand is racked. This condition may correct itself once water is in the tank, but looks like at least 1/4" gap and may place a great deal of stress on the seams of the tank.

You might have to redo some of the stand to correct this condition.
I ran a straight edge across the top of the stand before putting the tank on and didn't see any humps or deflection then.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not leveled the whole stand yet due to its not in its final spot I don't know if that makes a difference.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not leveled the whole stand yet due to its not in its final spot I don't know if that makes a difference.

When you measure top to bottom at all four corners, all the same dimensionally?

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leveled the stand where it's sitting to see if that helped at all and it did remove some of it but there is still a small amount there. Not sure what to do next? Maybe fill it with tap water and see what happens?

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I leveled the stand where it's sitting to see if that helped at all and it did remove some of it but there is still a small amount there. Not sure what to do next? Maybe fill it with tap water and see what happens?
I don't see there being any harm in doing this. It'll give you a true idea of where it will sit. I've leveled a tank dry before and once it was full it was off slightly due to the carpet compression under the stand.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this at all legit? And would adding another piece of 1/4" plywood help support it at all?
IMG_20200330_195013.jpg
IMG_20200330_194923.jpg

Back