• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to determine where to place my first 10 gallon reef tank. I plan on upgrading to a larger tank in 6-12 months, so I am hoping this isn’t a forever home for it. My full plan and setup is detailed in my build thread.

The issue I am looking for advice on is placing the 10 gallon tank on my desk with a hutch. It seems like the perfect spot in my office for it, but a buddy of mine brought up concerns for water damage to the wood due to spray and moisture from the tank. Anybody have any experience or thoughts on using this location? Basic overview is a 10 gallon tank with HOB filter and ATO with reservoir in the back of the foot space.

Thanks for all your thoughts!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a hutch?
The tank will weigh quite a bit, a computer desk isn’t meant for that weight.

arichmond1003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your buddy makes a good point as does piranhaman00... I had a 10 gallon tank in my bedroom on a nightstand for only 6 months and if it wasn’t for the towel I had under the tank it would be ruined. The nightstand also wasn’t designed for the weight and it really stressed the joints, it’s now very wobbly and not like it was before the tank was on it.

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hutch is the piece that goes over the top of a desk. I will put a picture at the end. It is a solid wood desk, so I am not concerned about the weight of a 10 gallon tank structurally. The water and moisture damage would more likely be the problem. Here is an example of the desk:
487-hoj-5jes.jpg

arichmond1003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then water damage is a definite concern, also which the tank that high up I would consider the accessibility. Do you really want to get on a stepladder every time you need to do anything if It’s that high up? Also consider the light, every time you look at a tank that’s up high you could be looking directly into the light. Just some food for thought.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can suggest is to have a plastic tray under the tank to catch any spills, you can get them in any size or colours

OP
OP
Rudzbrewski

Rudzbrewski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank would be on the back desk where the computer monitor is. Not on the top. Sorry for not clarifying the location. I do have a plastic protective layer on the desk, so the bottom is protected but the hutch around it would be exposed.

Back