Tank Location near Home Theater ( Will it stress out Cowfish?)

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I am picking up an established 120g this week with the itention to house a Longhorn Cowfish. I've been doing tons of research, and plan on having the tank running for a month or more, and kicking out all current livestock so I can introduce the Cowfish first and build from there. (Yes, I know he will get big and eventually need 200~). As I've said, I've been doing tons of homework.

My question is in regards to where I'm wanting to place my tank in relationship to my home theater, as I have seen one (literally one post) out of all my research that said their Cowfish was stressed out from sounds outside of the aquarium / movement / pets / kids.
The area I'm wanting to keep the tank is highly trafficked in my home, so this one post has me slightly concerned. First off, I've done tons of research regarding keeping fish tanks in loud areas (I.e. googling 'fish tank in home theater, fish tank near loud tv, etc') and most of the responses I've seen are very uneducated, and of course do not specifically apply to the tempermental Cowfish.

The tank will not be located directly in my theater room, however it will be about 6' away, behind a small wall partition. The surround sound is high-end and it's all directional to the seating of the viewer, and no speakers or sound will be directed towards the tank at all. I do have two subwoofers and run a decent amount of bass, however the sound does not heavily travel towards where the tank will be.. I guess what I'm looking for is someone with knowledge of how the Cowfish might respond to sound, and if perhaps I should place some sort of monitor in the tank and blast some music to see if it's too loud? I'd like to get this sorted before I place and fill the tank, as I can likely move it to one other location in my house.

Thanks!!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @kput

First gotta say hi and #WelcometoR2R , stop by meet and greet. To introduce yourself if you want and show us some pics.

So, for the cow and noise. Not sure of your set up or what would be high end. I will give you what I have so you can do a comparison.

I run a Denon 4301 with full 7.1 with Focal speakers surround. I have a MartinLogan Depth woofer that pushes 3 8 inch woofers. My tank is 15-20 feet from the woofer in the same room and have not seen my negative affects.

If you turn it up, the higher range sound is not an issue. It is when the base get into the 200 hertz and lower range But even when I run my woofer at 85 and lower it has not been a problem.

I saw you are doing you’re research on the cow. Besides size, you have read up on poison also I hope. Sound be a nice set up. How bout some pics in meet and greet?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey @kput

First gotta say hi and #WelcometoR2R , stop by meet and greet. To introduce yourself if you want and show us some pics.

So, for the cow and noise. Not sure of your set up or what would be high end. I will give you what I have so you can do a comparison.

I run a Denon 4301 with full 7.1 with Focal speakers surround. I have a MartinLogan Depth woofer that pushes 3 8 inch woofers. My tank is 15-20 feet from the woofer in the same room and have not seen my negative affects.

If you turn it up, the higher range sound is not an issue. It is when the base get into the 200 hertz and lower range But even when I run my woofer at 85 and lower it has not been a problem.

I saw you are doing you’re research on the cow. Besides size, you have read up on poison also I hope. Sound be a nice set up. How bout some pics in meet and greet?

+1. What he said!!!

Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @kput

I won't get too far into my audio setup because yours is nicer but the 12 and 10" JBL subs can definitely make the house bump. I'm glad for your experience though! I know sound travels differently in water so I assumed I'd be fine.

And yep! I've read up on the poison, hence my concern with stressing him out with the sound. The floor is carpet over pad and concrete so the vibrations shouldn't travel too much either.

I don't have any pics quite yet as I don't have the tank til Wednesday
I've got a 7g nano I've been cycling for a couple weeks, but plan on getting rid of it when the big tank comes.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you run the original Bob Carver Sunfire sub or def tech super cubes or some other super high end sub like a Trinity or original M&K thx subs, not sure I'd worry. I run def tech bp7002 plus bp2004 plus 4 bp1.2x plus a c/l/r 2500 and an m&k mx250 sub. Mains are pushed by a parasound hca1205a. When it goes low, the house shakes and the water ripples. The m&k sub is no joke, but my old def tech super cube pushed the hz way lower where you could feel it inside you. Wish I could have picked up a Trinity from the original company before they sold out to making garbage like m&k did. Had it backed by a denon 4806, just upgraded to a Yamaha rx-a3080

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm mostly surprised that I'm not the only HT nerd in here

I'd love to have some of the equipment you guys are running

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a big stereo guy since a teen. I've even got a pair of dynakit/dynaco st70 tube amps and a matching dynco tube pre, just waiting for an original pair of AR5 or 3 speakers, and the funds to make a nice music listening setup. Then there's my years in car stereo, 18" cerwin Vega stroker in my 91 Cherokee pushed by a US Amps 400x both from the original days of those models, not the newer post 2000 junk. The box was custom made by me out if 1-1/8" medite, was ~ 6 cubic feet. Then my diamond d912d4 subs in my Chevelle hooked to a sister us amps amp. Oh, the glory days of making people mad, especially in traffic, lol

Snowclown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be no problem. My tank is in my small office room with PS4, no home theater but with sound bar and woofer (lot of shooting games, I like it loud) I never have single problem. Oh plus the treadmill 2 feet from the tank lol.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is right next to my front right tower speaker. No experience with that fish, but my fox face started out skittish when it’d be turned up loud. After about a week he stopped caring.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got some decent sized speakers including a hefty powered subwoofer about 2 feet from my tank and my cowfish never cared. We don’t use heavy base a lot, but we do pump the radio and PlayStation through it.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Sorry about the glare.

OP
OP
kput

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Sorry about the glare.
Awesome!! Glad I found someone with a Cowfish in a similar situation.
What all are his tankmates? I've read just about every thread I can find with good potential matches so I need to start fomulating a list of what I'd like.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank mates are
2x clowns
11 lyretail anthias
2x yellow tangs
Desjardini tang
Hippo tang
Powder blue tang
Tomini tang
Diamond goby
2x zebra dartfish
Royal gramma
Orchid dottyback
Flame angel
Niger trigger
Copperband butterfly.

Cowfish was one of the first fish in the tank. No issues between the cowfish and any other fish.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys make my Klipsch system with copper cones look like a kids toy ;-(
Cheers! Mark
And yours likely makes my 12 year old onkyo receiver and infinity speakers look like a teething ring. I don’t get the nuances of the audiophile world though. A big screen, rumbling sound, and a cold beer and I’m good to go.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the Onkyo, depends on the infinity. Onkyo Integra, minus the HDMI board issues, was a good receiver. Infinity kappa perfect were not half bad. Not like the 90's infinity but decent. Better than Bose ever made, better than an a sound bar.

I'm lazy. Watch lots of tv/movies. Watch my fish. Play with my 3 cats and dog. Work a tough blue collar job 50+ a week. A good semi theater experience without the people or crowded theater is worth $$$ to me and my long term sanity. Especially since mine sounds better than a standard theater. Thx reference power, with thx reference speakers really makes a huge dent in eclipsing a theater. Although my mains are no longer thx, M&K thx are touchy and hard to replace, hence old school def tech.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back