Tank manufacturers?

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I read up, prepare, and troll through Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace postings, I'm beginning to realize that not only will it be difficult to find a used tank in the size and dimensions I want within 150 miles of where I live, but I may also get stuck with an overflow I don't like. Would it be somehow pretentious or something if, as a first time reefer, I special order a new tank rather than buying one used? I want a standard 4'x2'x2' glass 120g (not that hard to find), but drilled for a bean animal overflow rather than a durso or herbie style (which is hard to find). I'm not being too picky, am I? I mean, I do intend to keep this tank for several years, so I feel like I shouldn't settle for something I would be annoyed by.

So, long story short, can anybody recommend a tank manufacturer that will drill a standard glass 4x2x2 120 for a bean animal overflow? I knew Reef Savvy makes incredible tanks, but I can't afford the highest dollar ones right now (but once I upgrade..... :D), so preferably something that won't break the bank. Ideas? Thanks!

DSmithZ28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having glass cages make my 90 Gallon Cube after I had 2 Marineland warranties. They have some bad reviews for customer service but I emailed Tom and got very good service. I also spoke to him. They have been around a long time and I got a great price for my tank and it had 12mm glass, eurobracing top and bottom and I like their overflows. I however like herbie drains and had them drill 3 holes in the overflow. They only use schedule 80 bulkheads. I have not picked it up yet and they are saying the lead time is just 3 weeks. Reef savy is 6 months and they are 1000 for it. Custom aquariums is highly regarded but they are 1000. SCA out of California was hard to deal with and too high priced. You might try planet aquariums too. Having said all that I thought about going to a 120 gallon and give up on my Cube and after checking aqueon is very highly recommended and my LFS says that's all he uses. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having glass cages make my 90 Gallon Cube after I had 2 Marineland warranties. They have some bad reviews for customer service but I emailed Tom and got very good service. I also spoke to him. They have been around a long time and I got a great price for my tank and it had 12mm glass, eurobracing top and bottom and I like their overflows. I however like herbie drains and had them drill 3 holes in the overflow. They only use schedule 80 bulkheads. I have not picked it up yet and they are saying the lead time is just 3 weeks. Reef savy is 6 months and they are 1000 for it. Custom aquariums is highly regarded but they are 1000. SCA out of California was hard to deal with and too high priced. You might try planet aquariums too. Having said all that I thought about going to a 120 gallon and give up on my Cube and after checking aqueon is very highly recommended and my LFS says that's all he uses. Hope this helps.

All right, so that's a vote for Glass Cages, Planet Aquariums, and Aqueon! Thanks! Anybody else have input?

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered purchasing the parts and having a glass shop do the actual drilling and sealing? It also puts the liability of the tank breaking in their hands.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered purchasing the parts and having a glass shop do the actual drilling and sealing? It also puts the liability of the tank breaking in their hands.

Going to a custom shop and having them build a standard aquarium is sort of over kill. I agree with the above, get a standard undrilled glass aquarium and pay a professional to drill it to spec.

OP
OP
SallyWho

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea- I hadn't thought of that. I'll see if any local glass shops around here will do something like that. Thanks!

Back