Tank mate for 2 clowns and a Black Neon Dottyback

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a 25 gallon currently housing two ocellaris clowns (juvenilles) and I just added a black neon dottyback.

The dottyback captivated me in the store, and of course once I bought him I did my homework and read that they can be aggressive. My tank has a lot of hiding places and he seems to be getting along fine with the clowns. I'd like to add one more fish, but now I'm nervous I've drastically limited my options.

Any suggestions on a final fish to put the finishing touches on the tank? I love blennies and was wondering if a large one could hold it's own, or maybe a lemon chromis or a longnose hawkfish?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a 25 gallon currently housing two ocellaris clowns (juvenilles) and I just added a black neon dottyback.

The dottyback captivated me in the store, and of course once I bought him I did my homework and read that they can be aggressive. My tank has a lot of hiding places and he seems to be getting along fine with the clowns. I'd like to add one more fish, but now I'm nervous I've drastically limited my options.

Any suggestions on a final fish to put the finishing touches on the tank? I love blennies and was wondering if a large one could hold it's own, or maybe a lemon chromis or a longnose hawkfish?

Thanks in advance
you can get a scooter blenny and a firefish instead of 1 more fish!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had issues with blennies and dottybacks so I don't think you'd have much of a problem if the dotty is still small. A tailspot blenny would be my choice.
Again I don't see a problem with the hawkfish apart from it might be a little cramped for it and the damsel will probably be ok as well.

Dotty's normally mature into monsters and they can be fine to begin with, giving you some time to add new fish that can stand up for themselves a little. The fish to really avoid are similar shaped species like wrasse, dartfish, or those than inhabit the same area of the tank like gramma, basslet's etc.

I'd personally avoid firefish or dragonets as the firefish are timid and hang about the rockwork (perfect for dotty aggression) and dragonets may be out competed by the dotty.

OP
OP
abuch010

abuch010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had issues with blennies and dottybacks so I don't think you'd have much of a problem if the dotty is still small. A tailspot blenny would be my choice.
Again I don't see a problem with the hawkfish apart from it might be a little cramped for it and the damsel will probably be ok as well.

Dotty's normally mature into monsters and they can be fine to begin with, giving you some time to add new fish that can stand up for themselves a little. The fish to really avoid are similar shaped species like wrasse, dartfish, or those than inhabit the same area of the tank like gramma, basslet's etc.

I'd personally avoid firefish or dragonets as the firefish are timid and hang about the rockwork (perfect for dotty aggression) and dragonets may be out competed by the dotty.

I'm eyeing a bi-color blenny and a cleaner shrimp. That will probably conclude my stocking list, fingers crossed the dottyback doesn't bully the blenny but from what I've heard the blennies can stand up for themselves. Thanks for the advice!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back