OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While lions and eels can be tricky, starting with a small snowflake and training him in an observation tank, there should be no problem. Large mature snowflakes direct from the ocean, may be another story. Keeping them on a strict feeding schedule a snowflake would usually not go after fish, other than something small that they couldn't pass up. To wrestle down a fuzzy would be rare,

As far qt goes, copper is a nono, even if they survive treatment, they rarely live much more than a year afterwards, usually much less. Eels are very resistant to protazoan diseases like ick and velvet, so there really is no need for copper. Them transferring such diseases to your dt is also very unlikely. Now treating for internal parasites is highly recommended.
Thanks I figured they would be sensitive to copper . Any recommendations on treating for internal ?

I keep all my feeder fish in a qt and try to feed them top food with selcon mixed in right before I feed them to my fuzzy

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion King beat me to it, but I learned my information from them anyways.

Can personally confirm about their resistance. My eel, a greyfaced, also known as a white eyed moray, was in a tank struck by velvet, one of the 4 survivors. All I did with him is set up a big tote with my liverock and sand and put him in with my CuC. No treatment what so ever. Last weekend I added a half dozen black mollies (after QT) , and so far zero signs of reinfection. And none have been eaten either, despite being definitely small enough.

Quarantine should be as simple as a standard QT tank, with pvc long enough the entire eel can fit. I believe prazi is eel safe, but I am sure Lion King can confirm or not.

(I know a place where you can get prazi in BC, if you don't have any)

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake was a terrible hunter, was never worried about catching a live active fish. A lot of the time I would have to dangle fish in front of him to enable him to catch it. I would think, like mentioned above, if you start with a small snowflake, it will be fine.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion King beat me to it, but I learned my information from them anyways.

Can personally confirm about their resistance. My eel, a greyfaced, also known as a white eyed moray, was in a tank struck by velvet, one of the 4 survivors. All I did with him is set up a big tote with my liverock and sand and put him in with my CuC. No treatment what so ever. Last weekend I added a half dozen black mollies (after QT) , and so far zero signs of reinfection. And none have been eaten either, despite being definitely small enough.

Quarantine should be as simple as a standard QT tank, with pvc long enough the entire eel can fit. I believe prazi is eel safe, but I am sure Lion King can confirm or not.

(I know a place where you can get prazi in BC, if you don't have any)

Thanks ! that Prazi would be awesome as I don’t have any !

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want a combination of Metronidazole and Praziquantel to cover the broadest spectrum of parasites and intestinal worms. General cure contains both or you will want to treat with prazi pro and metroplex. General cure is easiest and works well in the water column. Many suggest dosing food, but that doesn't work well for fish not being fed every day, and maybe even a little challenging to feed.

I remember having this conversation with others in Canada and I believe you guys do have challenges getting certain meds, But that's the just of it, so do the best you can.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will want a combination of Metronidazole and Praziquantel to cover the broadest spectrum of parasites and intestinal worms. General cure contains both or you will want to treat with prazi pro and metroplex. General cure is easiest and works well in the water column. Many suggest dosing food, but that doesn't work well for fish not being fed every day, and maybe even a little challenging to feed.

I remember having this conversation with others in Canada and I believe you guys do have challenges getting certain meds, But that's the just of it, so do the best you can.

this is definitely what I was looking for . I have some metroplex cause I stockpiled but yes, Canada cracked down and meds are a huge pain to come by Especially with the border closing

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back