Tank Move

torombolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, 2 time newbie here, quick question, I have a 29 gallon that is not yet a year old, that I started while planning my 40 gallon breeder.
If I move everything from my 29 to my 40, including sand, rocks, water, (I know I would need to compensate for the extra 11 gal + sump) I would create a small cycle and could have a serious crash correct?
Should I fully cycle the 40 separately and move livestock little by little?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,i don't see a problem ,just count on a few extra gals of water,but rinse your sand in saltwater before adding,watch temps,ammonia for a few days ,have something to combat if any spikes.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless if you cycle the new tank and move a lot of stuff over or move stuff over all at once. You will experience a small "cycle". I normally just do the transfer all at once method. I believe the key is to ensure everything stays in water as long as possible and reduce air exposure/die off.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i'm not big on chems ,but ammonia absorbing pads ,and yes water for change just in case .

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the bacteria is on your rock and sand. If you are worried just throw in some dr Tim’s or something at the same time. I’ve done this multiple times with much higher water volumes.

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use all your current tank water. Drain what’s in the new tank into some buckets or just have some ready. Simply transfer everything and top off with fresh salt water. The bacteria on your rocks and sand will be good. I would rinse the sand real quick while I had the opportunity unless it’s been diligently vacuumed and stirred.

OP
OP
torombolo

torombolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use all your current tank water. Drain what’s in the new tank into some buckets or just have some ready. Simply transfer everything and top off with fresh salt water. The bacteria on your rocks and sand will be good. I would rinse the sand real quick while I had the opportunity unless it’s been diligently vacuumed and stirred.
Thank you, Vacuum yes stirred not so much LOL

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back