Tank moving help...

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im officially desperate, 2 moving companies and one LFS have flaked on me after saying they could help...

I currently have a 72x24x30 (220g) sitting in my race trailer (for the last month) in my front yard that needs to make it into my basement. It involves stairs, but i took the stand with sump still in it down by myself, easy path to the stairs through the house and can slowly slide the tank down the carpeted stairs (i think)

im in Middletown, anyone have a suggestion on a local crew that i could hire? or are there enough random people ive never met in person here that could help? LOL

thanks

Last edited:

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Definitely a 4 person job. If you can find two other guys to help out, I'd be willing to assist. Early evenings this week or Sunday. Anyone else game?

OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much appreciated, i think i have at least one guy to help...will keep you updated. Agree its a 4-5 person job, math says its 350-400 pounds. Previous owner got it out of his house with only 2 guys as crazy as that sounds...

should also add i have a reasonable amount of equipment to help:

- wheeled cart (32 inches high) that will get tank from trailer to front door (yes its designed for the weight)
- heavy duty wooden rollers/dowels for rolling through house (typically used for moving large pieces of granite)
- 30 foot ratchet strap (thinking to use to hold weight from top of stairs as it goes down.

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
much appreciated, i think i have at least one guy to help...will keep you updated. Agree its a 4-5 person job, math says its 350-400 pounds. Previous owner got it out of his house with only 2 guys as crazy as that sounds...

- wheeled cart (32 inches high) that will get tank from trailer to front door (yes its designed for the weight)
- heavy duty wooden rollers/dowels for rolling through house (typically used for moving large pieces of granite)
- 30 foot ratchet strap (thinking to use to hold weight from top of stairs as it goes down.
I 'hired' a couple of HS kids to help move my 125g. Any family or friends with kids looking to make quick money?

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Also saw recently that they sell the glass hauling suction cups cheap at harbor freight, for adding handles to glass panels. Can get them on Amazon too. I helped move a tank in NYC many years back and they had them. Made it so easy.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for "specialty movers" and you'll find companies that do more than household moves. They move pianos, industrial equipment, etc.

OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for "specialty movers" and you'll find companies that do more than household moves. They move pianos, industrial equipment, etc.
not having trouble finding the companies, having trouble with the ghosting after agreeing to do the job.

Also saw recently that they sell the glass hauling suction cups cheap at harbor freight, for adding handles to glass panels. Can get them on Amazon too. I helped move a tank in NYC many years back and they had them. Made it so easy.

yup, used 4 of the 10 inch ones off amazon to move it around when i picked it up from the previous owner.

one company may have suddenly resurface (likely because they are suddenly looking for work)...we shall see.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not having trouble finding the companies, having trouble with the ghosting after agreeing to do the job.

Did you contact household movers or specialty movers? The former might be ghosting you because they're not equipped or experienced with moving anything other than common household items.

OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stuck to companies that specifically listed piano moving as a service...thats the worst part, have been on the phone with each and completely explained the job and all but one said "yeah no problem, we'll call you back to schedule".

maybe they really are just that busy with people moving i guess.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stuck to companies that specifically listed piano moving as a service...thats the worst part, have been on the phone with each and completely explained the job and all but one said "yeah no problem, we'll call you back to schedule".

maybe they really are just that busy with people moving i guess.

Huh, that is weird. You'd think companies that move gun safes can handle aquariums.

I find that contractors do a lot of ghosting. I'm going to laugh at them when the housing bubble finally bursts and demand for their services plummets.

OP
OP
N

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oof...contractors are...not my favorite.

My wife and I spent almost a year finding one to do a bathroom which was eventually finished in april '21 after like 6 weeks. Fast forward to this winter and the grout is falling out and ive had to re silicone the tub twice, flooring is squeaking, bad electrical, one vanity has fallen off the wall and been re hung, etc....and the company is gone because the 38 year old owner died of covid in october. evaporated $15k on that bathroom faster than ill be able to even with this giant a** tank

Back