Tank of bullies-

Rs250rl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I transitioned from a 30 gal nano reef tank to a 65 gal back in April. Midas Benny, and 2 mocha clowns, red fire shrimp, made the transition. I’ve added a fathead sunburst anthias, melanarus and a royal gramma. But now I’m having some challenges adding others: I’ve seen them all attack 2 fire fish and 3 blue reef chromis also didn't make it and now I’m not sure what I can add. All of the fish are listed as “peaceful” on liveaquaria, and other research.

I like to add:
*flame hawk fish
*leopard wrasse or mystery wrasse
*swallowtail or bellus angel
*yellow eye kole tang

any advice?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you get this

*flame hawk fish *yellow eye kole tang *mystery wrasse
Add last. They can be monsters. Kole tang is a nicer fish, but still a tang.
*leopard wrasse
are shy and easy to bully. Do not add with aggressive fish and make that a first fish to help establish territory.

*swallowtail or bellus angel
No experience with this fish. Sorry.

OP
OP
R

Rs250rl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on working with the 6 I have? (mocha clowns, Midas, fathead, melanarus and royal gramma)?

I’m surprised they are so aggressive toward new tank mates

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are adding new tank mates to the 30g. They are telling the new fish "no room, move on" and the new fish cannot leave the territory, they are stuck with the aggressors.
Even in a 60g, the midas blenny can still be very aggressive and may not accept new members. Fathead anthias could also be the same. You would have to be able to set up the 60g and add the more passive fish first and add the aggressive ones last.

But if you can't, Always rework the rocks and add new fish in at night. Reworking the rocks can also confuse the fish.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you can't, Always rework the rocks and add new fish in at night. Reworking the rocks can also confuse the fish.
This, and

Please do not add a swallowtail and/or bellus angel to a 65g tank; they are large, beautiful, and active fish that will not enjoy that limited tank space. The tangs won't, either. You have many other options for fish better suited to this size of tank. :)

OP
OP
R

Rs250rl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, and

Please do not add a swallowtail and/or bellus angel to a 65g tank; they are large, beautiful, and active fish that will not enjoy that limited tank space. The tangs won't, either. You have many other options for fish better suited to this size of tank. :)
Any suggestions?

OP
OP
R

Rs250rl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding new tank mates to the 30g. They are telling the new fish "no room, move on" and the new fish cannot leave the territory, they are stuck with the aggressors.
Even in a 60g, the midas blenny can still be very aggressive and may not accept new members. Fathead anthias could also be the same. You would have to be able to set up the 60g and add the more passive fish first and add the aggressive ones last.

No, moved everything from the 30 gal to the 65 gal.
tough to move rocks around with corals on it D0E28707-5A55-4DB4-850B-1E4EE7230EBC.jpeg

Last edited:

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions?
You can add a dwarf angel if you want that angel shape. I have a multicolor and a keyhole angel in my RSM 250 (I don't recommended that you have two, but these get along); many people claim that the coral beauty, a lovely fish, is least likely to nip corals. FWIW, none of my angels really nip at anything in my tanks. I have a coral beauty in my IM40, where my filefish has caused much more havoc. Dwarf angels tend to be bossy and aren't likely to be bullied.

I'd look for something with a different profile and that the other fish won't recognize as a threat. For me, that would be a pygmy white spotted filefish. They're truly amazing fish, won't bother other inhabitants, and you can watch them helicopter around the tank (or blend in with their camouflage).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back