Tank ordered, gear help

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do 2 of these and maybe 2 jebao in the back to kick up detritus in any dead spots, but i like a lot of flow. I use 1 for an 80 gallon tank and it mostly stays below 60% unless im really lazy between cleaning and have to turn it up more

Just out of curiosity... What makes these wave bars attractive?

What do they do that makes them worth the cost?

The Jaebo's that I use provide plenty of current in the tank at a fraction of the price. I suppose I should add that I also have the return flow from the 2 canister filters and the return from the "sump" where I keep my skimmer.

Even still.. I am curious why those pumps are so popular?

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had about 4 or 5 jebao pumps but they seem to always fail over time or have some weird issues with the controller. They also lose power a lot faster than my gyres do because of algae build up

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the gyre is very effective at pushing a "sheet" of water across the tank, using 2 they can be run a couple of different ways to kick up debris. If using the jebao with a different controller and keeping it clean using citric acid, they work fine. Just too much of a pita for me, i keep my gyre set at 50-40% most of the time and kick it up to 60% if i need. If i dont clean it for like 2-3 months or so i might pick it up to 80% but i usually clean it at that point

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The graph for the apex core 20 pump says it will pump 2000 gallons per hr at 20 ft on full constant power then as the height drops because it’s a dc smart motor you should be able to adjust accordingly at 15 ft so as to not blow the fish against the glass or into the next room .i think if it does this it’s more than adequate and incredible . I’ve been using the ecotech pumps for years and have always wanted to get one of these to hook up to my apex system . Go to BRS supply and look up this pump . It shows the graph . What are you using for a heater ? And kudos on the new build :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
i just looked at the head pressure graph, says the cor 20 at 20' is 0 gph. at 0' of head its 2000 gph.
i would go with a pressure rated ac pump for one floor down

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just looked at the head pressure graph, says the cor 20 at 20' is 0 gph. at 0' of head its 2000 gph.
Your right my bad , I read it wrong . So nope this pump won’t work !!!

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, that makes sense. Any suggestions? Is it still possible to keep an in water pump for this or will I need to go external?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same with the apex. Everything is controllable with multiple redundancies. Pricey? Sure. But you only retire from 20 years of miserable military life once I guess... so might as well.
On a big tank Apex makes sense if it controls everything on one app that you can access and modify from anywhere if needed....good luck with your build. Wish I had the big tank too.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh, that makes sense. Any suggestions? Is it still possible to keep an in water pump for this or will I need to go external?
at 20ft it will probably make more sense to go with external as they are pressure rated and can get the job done easily https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/iwaki-md-70rlt-japanese-motor-1500-gph.html

Simon_M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the REEFER 625 G2 and use the smaller RSK-600 Skimmer and the ReefMat 500. The Skimmer is smaller than the RSK-900 and the dimensions of the smaller unit on the longer side and the same as on the larger unit on the shorter size. Space in a Sump is always at a premium, so (for me) having the smaller Skimmer is preferable. Red Sea call the RSK-600 the "600" because it supports SPS up to 600 litres, Mixed up to 1200 litres and Fish Only up to 2400 litres. The Volume of the 625 is less than 600 litres because you won't be filling the Sump to the maximum level.

The ReefMat 500 is the smaller of the two ReefMats and is already a big unit. Using the 500 again leaves more space in the Sump. One argument for the 1200 is that it supports a higher flow rate however I doubt that you would want to use a Return Pump at the maximum allowed rate - more likely at half this rate. My DC Pump is configured to use only half the flow rate - it is fine like this. The advantage of the 1200 is that the area of a roll divided by the cost is slightly cheaper than using a 500 however the advantage of the 500 is again, the size. ReefMats are brilliant and well worth it.

Overall the RSK-600 and ReefMat 500 are just a bit smaller than than the bigger versions and when space it at a premium then using them is an advantage. I have also had the Reservoir in between the two units - something that wouldn't be possible with the larger units in the 625 Sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back