Tank Parameters Of Some Masters

711reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great write up. I would have liked to have seen some parameters of successful tanks that have what some would consider high levels of nitrates and phosphates. like paul bs tank or Richard ross to name a few.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome article Mike!

Everyone that thinks running undetectable NO3 and PO4 is best really should read this artcle and think about what these guys know that they don't ;)
I can almost assure you though, that like me. These guys just dont care what those levels are. They feed heavy, skim heavy and leave their tanks alone unless something needs to be dealt with.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up Michael Paletta... I tested for NO3 and PO4 a few years ago when Richard Ross asked me to for his skeptical reefkeeping article. They read zero much to my surprise. I test for Dkh and thats about it. Plenty of light, Plenty of flow. Feed heavy, skim just as heavy. Keep parameters stable......The tank is four months old in this picture.
IMG_8179.jpg

Last edited:

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article. By the number of people reading this, You surely got everybody's attention . What I got was there are no magic numbers but stability .

I just added another power head to my tank !

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that I keep all my parameters pretty dang close to most of them on the list. The only element I don't test for is SR. I do and have dosed elements and amino acids for some years now and they work well in my system. Always have fed my coral.

Now off to find a Strontium test kit!:)

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, very thoughtful. I can't tell you how many times ive seen someone ask Jason fox or wwc what their params were lol. This should be an obligatory read upon registration. You should post yours in here too mike!

I will say that I am dissapointed but not remotely surprised that some parties won't reveal their "secret sauce", because just like copying these params won't guarantee you success, neither will dosing the additives or supplements they dose.

One of my favorite things about this hobby is the spirit of the community and how mostly everyone wants to help everyone else succeed. Not only does withholding information like that directly contradict that spirit, it's completely unnecessary. Too bad! At least there are others that are willing to share!

Thanks mike!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back