Tank Parameters - what The Government has to say!

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My tank has completed Nitrogen-cycling. This took a week, during which time, I maintained salinity at 20 ppt, temp at 82-83 degree F and stress-tested multiple times by pushing Ammonia to Toxic levels and allowing the bacteria to bring it down to Safe. At my tank's current state, free Ammonia is hardly noticed even immedieately after ammonia-doses.

As such, I was on the lookout for some authorative info on water parameters for coral propagation. During this search I came across a government-funded research on reef aquaria by National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) from March 2013 - sponsored by the Coral Disease Health Consortium (paper attached).

Following are the parameters per this research. Do you agree - generally?

1. Temperature: 76 to 82.5 deg F
  2. Salinity: 35 ppt
  3. pH: 8.1 to 8.3
  4. Alkalinity: 8 - 10 KH
  5. Calcium: 380 - 450 ppm
  6. Magnesium 1250 - 1350 ppm
  7. Ammonia (total) < 0.1 ppm
  8. Nitrite < 0.2 ppm
  9. Nitrate < 0.2 ppm
  10. Phosphate < 0.03 ppm
Let me know, and check out the paper attached.

Thanks and happy reefing!
- Gogol

Attachments

• TCB Small Scale Exp Systems TM Final (1).pdf
    5 MB · Views: 38

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert but the N and P numbers leave you very little room for error. One small hiccup could zero them and potentially crash the system. It may not be optimal (but is certainly still suitable) but I aim for slightly higher nutrient values to buffer me against unforeseen circumstances.

One asterisk is that I haven't yet read the paper. Will do so when I get to the office.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood and noted LGTas. Thanks! - looks like you are from Australia is that right?

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should've also added my thanks for finding the paper!

Yes Tasmania, Australia. Originally from South Africa. The island life makes sourcing reefing stuff a challenge.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers look solid, as mentioned nitrate and phosphate are on the low side somewhat. I also maintain my temp at 77 which is on the low side.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

My tank has completed Nitrogen-cycling. This took a week, during which time, I maintained salinity at 20 ppt, temp at 82-83 degree F and stress-tested multiple times by pushing Ammonia to Toxic levels and allowing the bacteria to bring it down to Safe. At my tank's current state, free Ammonia is hardly noticed even immedieately after ammonia-doses.

As such, I was on the lookout for some authorative info on water parameters for coral propagation. During this search I came across a government-funded research on reef aquaria by National Oceanic and
Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) from March 2013 - sponsored by the Coral Disease Health Consortium (paper attached).

Following are the parameters per this research. Do you agree - generally?

1. Temperature: 76 to 82.5 deg F
  2. Salinity: 35 ppt
  3. pH: 8.1 to 8.3
  4. Alkalinity: 8 - 10 KH
  5. Calcium: 380 - 450 ppm
  6. Magnesium 1250 - 1350 ppm
  7. Ammonia (total) < 0.1 ppm
  8. Nitrite < 0.2 ppm
  9. Nitrate < 0.2 ppm
  10. Phosphate < 0.03 ppm
Let me know, and check out the paper attached.

Thanks and happy reefing!
- Gogol
Those numbers are great IMM.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look good to me, and where I like to keep my tank. Couple exception is the nutrient levels, and alkalinity level. I like a little higher nutrient level as already noted, and slightly lower alkalinity level 7.0 to 7.3(closer to NSW which is 7.0).

We all keep slightly different parameters based on our tanks, which are not all the same. Just like the different parts of the ocean are slightly different parameters.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look good to me, and where I like to keep my tank. Couple exception is the nutrient levels, and alkalinity level. I like a little higher nutrient level as already noted, and slightly lower alkalinity level 7.0 to 7.3(closer to NSW which is 7.0).

We all keep slightly different parameters based on our tanks, which are not all the same. Just like the different parts of the ocean are slightly different parameters.
Thanks Homer. At what levels do you like to maintain your nutrients?

- Gogol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.05 to .10 phosphates, and 3 to 5 nitrates. This is just where my 5 year old tank has settled at with my husbandry, and feeding routine.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gogol_frag, those numbers will work, and so will the slightly higher numbers others mentioned. IMO, it is what you have to do to maintain those numbers that can cause problems. If you are constantly adding chemicals to reduce nutrients or to raise them, then it is a lot more work to keep the system stable and increases the chances of problems.

My tank has about the same numbers that you list. I do keep my ALK in the 7.9-8.2 dKh range and I don't test ph. I run a doser for ALK and Calc, and a skimmer for organic waste removal and a small bag of ROX carbon. My tank stays stable with just that.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gogol_frag, those numbers will work, and so will the slightly higher numbers others mentioned. IMO, it is what you have to do to maintain those numbers that can cause problems. If you are constantly adding chemicals to reduce nutrients or to raise them, then it is a lot more work to keep the system stable and increases the chances of problems.

My tank has about the same numbers that you list. I do keep my ALK in the 7.9-8.2 dKh range and I don't test ph. I run a doser for ALK and Calc, and a skimmer for organic waste removal and a small bag of ROX carbon. My tank stays stable with just that.
Thanks for that note IslandLifeReef. Would you mind sharing your preference for dosing media/method? I am considering a balling method with either - TropicMarin 3-part or Liveaquaria Professional Bulk Supplements (only because of supply chain issues from non-American products like TropicMarin)

I am waiting for my salinity to reach 35ppt prior to starting my algae-scrubber, skimmer (which has a carbon chamber) and multi-media filter that can run filter pads and GFO (if required). Similar to you, the Carbon that I will be running is BRS Rox.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that note IslandLifeReef. Would you mind sharing your preference for dosing media/method? I am considering a balling method with either - TropicMarin 3-part or Liveaquaria Professional Bulk Supplements (only because of supply chain issues from non-American products like TropicMarin)

I am waiting for my salinity to reach 35ppt prior to starting my algae-scrubber, skimmer (which has a carbon chamber) and multi-media filter that can run filter pads and GFO (if required). Similar to you, the Carbon that I will be running is BRS Rox.
Sure, I dose RedSea Part A and B. I dose 12ml of the ALK broken into 8 1.5 ml doses a day and 5.2 ml of Calcium broken up into 4 1.3 ml doses a day. My tank is a RSR 170, so about 43 gallons, but truly about 38 gallons total volume once you account for rock and skimmer displacement.

OP
OP
Gogol_frag

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks IslandReef. That's really helpful. I have just ordered Brightwell Part A, Part B and Coraline Accelerator, along with Coraline in a bottle - Purple Helix and Pink Fusion by ARC Reef. I selected brightwell because their products was a big part in my pretty painless and quick nitrogen cycle.

Also turned on my skimmer and Algae Scrubber, and likely my Wrasses/Tangs will arrive within a coupla weeks...Seriously hoping that I can minimize the "ugly" phase with the combination of the above. Wish me luck :)

Back