Tank placement, and carpet?

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im ordering waterbox the reef 180.5 its a 130 gallons and 40 gallon sump. Its going to be placed in my basement. Do i have to worry about weight for floors or anything? Or it doesnt matter since its a basement? And about the carpet? Should i place a plywood piece first then place the tank on it? How should i go about that?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I'd consider checking is how "level" the floor is in your basement where you want to place the tank. Use a good 4' or longer level for best accuracy. Pretty common for builders to slope basement floors toward a floor drain.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just sits on my carpet in my office but you better love your carpet because moving it ain't gonna happen once it gets wet. Is your basement temp controlled?

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since putting it in the basement (concrete floor) you looking at ~160g of water x 8.34 lb/g = 1,334lbs plus tank, sump, stand. No worries on weight. As for the carpet as already noted depends on if you like the carpet. An oversized piece of plywood would be beneficial for spills, salt creep, etc. Wish I did so with mine. My 75g sitting directly on hardwood floor and know that it is not going to look good underneath when I move the tank due to spills.

OP
OP
E

endlessrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank just sits on my carpet in my office but you better love your carpet because moving it ain't gonna happen once it gets wet. Is your basement temp controlled?
No it doesnt have heating in there. Bur i already have salt tank. And fw tank one is 54 and one 75. And they both maintain 77F temp perfectly fine with no swings

Back