Tank placement in new home.

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved and I'll be starting fresh with my tank (RSR170) and had some questions / concerns on being able to place it in certain rooms. I would like y'alls opinions on each option presented.

1st choice would be the media room. However, I'm a huge AV nerd and have equipment that will shake the house when watching a movie. I'm worried that the vibrations in this location would potentially stress and kill everything in the tank.

2nd choice is in the living room. However, it's an open floor plan so the kitchen and living room are only separated by a bar. My three big concerns here are cooking aerosols, whether that's from sizzling oils in a pan or cooking spray from a can onto a cookie sheet; the fireplace that will most likely get used a few times during the winter; and the eight large stacked windows in the living room, four windows at normal height (with blinds) and then four more large windows up high (without blinds).

3rd much less desirable option, due to noise when trying to sleep and I'm hardly ever in there, would be the master bedroom in a corner.

4th option, guest bathroom. Would be set up directly across from the toilet. I mean it'll be a tight fit, but hey, a poo with a view, can't beat that. (I jest of course)

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
2nd choice. I have it in my living area. Cooking and whatever else won't be an issue as long as you air the house out afterward. Also some carbon will help in case of anything getting into the water.

All other choices are a hard no for me.

1st : vibration that heavy could stress the tank glass overtime
3 and 4: you want everyone to enjoy the tank in a common area. Don't hide it in room

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were playing movies all day everyday, it'd probably be an issue. But given I suspect it will only be in the evenings and likely not for huge lengths of time, I don't think it'll be that much of a problem for the fish. I've got mine in my office, about 10ft away from a 65" tv and an entertainment unit. I can't tell or see the fish act any different when I've got a movie playing. It's only a few hours as well, and not every day.

OP
OP
O

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd choice. I have it in my living area. Cooking and whatever else won't be an issue as long as you air the house out afterward. Also some carbon will help in case of anything getting into the water.

All other choices are a hard no for me.

1st : vibration that heavy could stress the tank glass overtime
3 and 4: you want everyone to enjoy the tank in a common area. Don't hide it in room
Didn't even think about the vibrations stressing the glass in the media room. That would be a nightmare! Thank you for that observation, definitely a hard no on that for me as well.

I do run a carbon reactor, 1/4 way full two little fishies phosban 150 to be specific, so I'm happy to know that that will help eliminate some stuff. I've just been doing it for clarity.

Thank you for you insights.

If you were playing movies all day everyday, it'd probably be an issue. But given I suspect it will only be in the evenings and likely not for huge lengths of time, I don't think it'll be that much of a problem for the fish. I've got mine in my office, about 10ft away from a 65" tv and an entertainment unit. I can't tell or see the fish act any different when I've got a movie playing. It's only a few hours as well, and not every day.
I have dual 1500 watt SVS subwoofers and some other very high end equipment that I'm sure 98% of the population would just ask "why?" lol. I've had to spend a ton of money on acoustic treatments for the room to help absorb and isolate the noise so neighbors don't get mad. This is why I was thinking the fish / coral would get stressed and die easily but wasn't quite certain. If it was just a sound bar and a TV I wouldn't have worried about it and popped it down in that room already because I spend way too much time in there lol.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Didn't even think about the vibrations stressing the glass in the media room. That would be a nightmare! Thank you for that observation, definitely a hard no on that for me as well.

I do run a carbon reactor, 1/4 way full two little fishies phosban 150 to be specific, so I'm happy to know that that will help eliminate some stuff. I've just been doing it for clarity.

Thank you for you insights.

I have dual 1500 watt SVS subwoofers and some other very high end equipment that I'm sure 98% of the population would just ask "why?" lol. I've had to spend a ton of money on acoustic treatments for the room to help absorb and isolate the noise so neighbors don't get mad. This is why I was thinking the fish / coral would get stressed and die easily but wasn't quite certain. If it was just a sound bar and a TV I wouldn't have worried about it and popped it down in that room already because I spend way too much time in there lol.
I would hate to be your neighbor haha!
Yea a carbon reactor would work great for you.
I know your tank is 34 gallon I believe. Why not go bigger? You will eventually want to upgrade. Just something to think about as you are starting fresh.

OP
OP
O

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hate to be your neighbor haha!
Yea a carbon reactor would work great for you.
I know your tank is 34 gallon I believe. Why not go bigger? You will eventually want to upgrade. Just something to think about as you are starting fresh.
Haha, nah it's not THAT bad outside the house. :p I try to be respectful to others with my toys.

So yeah, the plan is a much larger tank in the future, but for now the RSR170 is all I can really afford. It was between getting our dream house and doing some renovating or buying a new set up. We chose the home obviously, haha.

Future plans are use the RSR170 as a QT and get a 200g planet aquarium with starfire glass on 3 sides rocking a custom lifereef sump, skimmer, and reactors underneath plus a custom height aluminum stand. But that's about 2 or 3 years out, gotta recover from the closing and moving expenses first. Sucks being a responsible adult sometimes lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back